The Telegraph / James Hall: "Morrissey: ‘My whole life has relied on free speech – naturally, I’m gagged’" (September 9, 2024)

2d4f0802a6e79e661ec82b08e8a0175aa666f401~2.jpg

Morrissey: ‘My whole life has relied on free speech – naturally, I’m gagged’

The forthright singer’s ‘masterpiece’ Bonfire of Teenagers was finished in 2021. He reveals the ‘idiot culture’ blocking its release

https://archive.is/J2hBl - no paywall.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always hope that he's not really as much of an arsehole as the media makes him out to be. But he always is. This article is nothing more than a copy-and-paste of the Bonfire chronology that FWD linked the journo to in the earlier thread, and even Moz' snarks are recycled.

Depends for what reason you're calling him an "a-hole"........cancelling gigs, cost of tickets.......quality of music.

Depends for what reason you're calling him an "a-hole"........cancelling gigs, cost of tickets.......quality of music.
None of those. I just see someone with no self-awareness, who keeps driving his life into brick walls. Then, in anger and unhappiness, he blames other people and starts arguments. I am tired of making excuses. As I've said before, his life is a cautionary tale. What is biting and 'witty' and whatever when you're 25, is just sad later. When you think you've 'won' but nobody calls, nobody wants to know, it's no victory.

Last edited:
None of those. I just see someone with no self-awareness, who keeps driving his life into brick walls. Then, in his anger and unhappiness, he blames other people and starts more arguments. I am tired of making excuses. As I've said before, his life is a cautionary tale.

"It's my life............to wreck.........my own way".

Something is off somewhere.
Capitol were still intending to release the album (as reported by Central) 6 months after the press had its 'outrage' session at the album/song's title and lyrical content. You'd think someone who was indirectly reporting all the hurdles and problems befalling the release would have mentioned the small matter of bigwigs wanting him to remove the title track and wanting him 'censored' at the time...
FWD.

Hope Damon pulled the tape off quickly 🤞

Good grief man- The Telegraph??!! 🤮 This whole victim complex has become beyond tiresome and is really starting to cast a shadow over all that is great about Morrissey - release the bloody record yourself for Christ's sake!! Where's your independent punk spirit Mozza?

If you're gonna sing, then sing
Just don't talk about it
If you're gonna live, then live
Don't talk about it
If you're gonna release a damn album
Then for god's sake
release it yourself

I can't take any Morrissey article seriously unless it puns on This Charming Man, describes him as The Miserable Moribund Maestro of Musical Mopery, and asks if he's ever had sex with salad.

Of course, Morrissey throws shade at everyone else, without explaining why he simply didn't agree to replace Miley Cyrus' backing vocals so the album could be released. What a twit.

If you’re going to credibly advocate for free speech, you’re probably best to avoid The Telegraph.
Well, the owners tried to shut down the work of the artist Hédi Tillette de Clermont-Tonnerre for a start. Furthermore, they were found (in court) to be using the paper as a tool to support their commercial interests—suppressing information when it suited.

That same (Telegraph-funded) commercial power was also used to help destroy the livelihoods of disagreeing voices on the island of Sark.

As an online subscriber for years, I witnessed dissenting commentaries on articles disappear from comments boards right in front of my eyes: sent to await an editorial review, forever.

Most recently it supported Jenrick’s Allahu Akbar arrest call. Whatever one’s feeling about that policy: support of free speech it isn’t.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom