The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
That's a very romantic notion. I understand it. I think for a person like Morrissey, Johnny Marr was one of those very rare individuals who Moz considered an equal or even a better, both musically and personally. But that ship has sailed. Moz is never going to stop sabotaging himself and his career. Johnny is not going to manage him like he once did.

Musically, it probably has. Personally, it never will - they are like separated spouses who spat all the time but never get round to the actual divorce. Chrissie Hynde is close to them both; I wonder what she thinks of the current debacle.

I doubt Johnny Marr will continue with tragic solo career, if he recovers from his current ailments, he will probably sign on to play guitar in a kiddie band.

how would it write off his entire solo career as a mistake? He’s had massive success as a solo artist, 3 number ones and some magical albums, and great moments, it’s only been the last 5 years he’s been shit, since World Peace onwards. I think a reunion with Marr would do him the world of good, he’s just a miserable old man now with no spark, it’s sad to see. Moz needs positive vibes in his life, he just smacks or sour and bitter, and his music is depressing, it’s a chore to even listen to his recent material, I’d like to see him rejuvenated and making some changes, I’ve said all along he’s got one more masterpiece in him, but he needs help to be inspired, hard to do that when you’re stuck in the comfort zone and you’re band are third rate cruise ship tat.

Mostly when people go back to, and reform old bands, it's the end of the solo career and a way of refilling the bank account and feeding the ego.

If solo Moz was playing on Wednesday and The Smiths were on Thursday, most people would go out on the Thursday.

My personal opinion? His solo career has been a steady decline in relevance and brilliance and has become mostly turgid the past five years. If his solo career was like Bond films, we're very much in the awful back end of the Pierce Brosnan years, with invisible cars and ice palaces right now.

Just placing a bulk order for t-shirts, all colours available except blk, all sizes s/m/l/xl/xxl/xfl/tent

Text front:
SKINNY
IS
SORRY
Text back:
HE'S STILL
A
c*** THO
Let me know on orders.

Mostly when people go back to, and reform old bands, it's the end of the solo career and a way of refilling the bank account and feeding the ego.

If solo Moz was playing on Wednesday and The Smiths were on Thursday, most people would go out on the Thursday.

My personal opinion? His solo career has been a steady decline in relevance and brilliance and has become mostly turgid the past five years. If his solo career was like Bond films, we're very much in the awful back end of the Pierce Brosnan years, with invisible cars and ice palaces right now.

Skinny, and Marrs would be the David Niven one. Actually there wouldnt be one since his career is not only over it barely took place. At 55 he went solo, at 59 its all over.

Morrissey is like Bond film ? Really now. He's black ? Let's see him get up there and BE the Houston woman !
Then he could be Stephany Morrissey ? Patricia Morrissey ?

Clearly this is bollocks. Morrissey has a new album to promote next year. Funny to see Skinny in knots though. If they do reunite Skinny concludes (like a mute oaf) that the motivation for Moz is the money. So what is the motivstion for his beloved Marr one wonders? Is it biscuits?
Smiths is dead long live Morrissey.

I don't think the record company would mind a Smiths reunion concert - even if it was only 1 concert - before the release of the next Morrissey album. It would be the best promotional stunt possible and the best guarantee that they will see their money back that they have invested in Moz.

There are of course many other reasons why it won't happen.

Bryan ferry is too busy dying his hair so he can think he looks good in his foxhunting red jacket, before tearing a defenceless animal apart.
Yeah, real cool guy.
...and Morrissey’s too busy letting his wispy mop go grandpa. Add the ridiculous cut-off “statement” shirts (How punk. LOL!) and you’ve got a complete degenerate mess. ...an early stage dementia type display. It’s not becoming of anyone.

Bryan Ferry has more talent, class, relevance and “cool” in his pinky finger than Morrissey and his entire band of slug players and fans.

...and if you want people to keep their gobs shut about their disagreement with Melvis’ political views, you’d do well to exercise the same f***ing courtesy whilst spouting about carnivores and the “fox hunt”. Nobody gives shit whether you - or anyone else - eats meat or not. Where do veg-heads get the idea that this is a “thing”? Enjoy what you enjoy and shut the f*** up about the rest.

ONE set of rules for everyone, bitch.

No way, Low In High School was his best album since at least Years Of Refusal. Cali Son was good albeit unnecessary and his voice is at its peak. His vocals have aged like wine

I turned it off after 20 seconds. Sorry, I’ll just have to go on not understanding the joke and keep living my life.
Ah it wasn't even funny. Your line "it means nothing to me" just reminded me of the chorus to the song 'Vienna'. I love that song, maybe cos it reminds me of younger care free days.

The vast majority of Morrissey's solo career consists of him - by virtue of his voice, melody and lyrics - making the most plodding, pedestrian backing into memorable songs. Johnny gave him ready-made soundscapes that were brilliant to start with and he made them even better.

You're being harsh on Alain and Boz now.
But I certainly agree that Morrisey can lift the music to a much higher level when he finds the right words and a beautiful melody. That is his gift to the world.

...and Morrissey’s too busy letting his wispy mop go grandpa. Add the ridiculous cut-off “statement” shirts (How punk. LOL!) and you’ve got a complete degenerate mess. ...an early stage dementia type display. It’s not becoming of anyone.

Bryan Ferry has more talent, class, relevance and “cool” in his pinky finger than Morrissey and his entire band of slug players and fans.

...and if you want people to keep their gobs shut about their disagreement with Melvis’ political views, you’d do well to exercise the same f***ing courtesy whilst spouting about carnivores and the “fox hunt”. Nobody gives shit whether you - or anyone else - eats meat or not. Where do veg-heads get the idea that this is a “thing”? Enjoy what you enjoy and shut the f*** up about the rest.

ONE set of rules for everyone, bitch.

Morrissey has never been about cool. He was always about Irish passion mixed with Northern desperation.

I can assure you that Marr still loves and is in great admiration of that 'racist'.
Johnny loves him for what they held together in the past. It works the same way for most relationships that have soured. You can love the past and still loathe the person they’ve become.

For instance... I used to love you.

Aaahhhh f***. Never mind. You’ve been a mindless, weak-ass c*** since day one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom