The Smiths to reunite for 2020 tour promoted by Live Nation?

A trusted source has sent the following:

Concert industry insiders, not authorized to speak publicly, say concert giant “Live Nation” has won the rights for the long-awaited Smiths reunion to happen next year. We know what you’re already singing to yourself (“stop me if you think that you’ve heard this one before”), but because dates and venues are already said to be in the “plotting stage,” this would indicate that a Morrissey-Marr reunion is closer than ever to becoming a reality. There’s no word yet on if all four original members will share the concert stage. Morrissey just completed his “California Son” tour. According to his website, Johnny Marr has no upcoming shows scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned.

Johnny Marr's Twitter response when asked regarding this story - Twitter (November 6, 2019), link via @ordinaryboy86:

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited:
No way, Low In High School was his best album since at least Years Of Refusal. Cali Son was good albeit unnecessary and his voice is at its peak. His vocals have aged like wine
Yeah. Like a whiny little bitch, with a 4th grade education in lyricism.

Well, we know it definitely won't happen if Morrissey sees the Nigel Farage crack. He'll feel ganged up on.

I'm for Moz being in any band, Smiths or otherwise that doesn't include Jesse Tobias.

I'd be staggered if it does happen.

Moz would probably see going back to The Smiths as a lucrative but worthless defeat ; effectively it writes off his 32 year solo career as a mistake, and would be a backwards step.

I don't think he would want to do it - and if he did, he's got so used to being captain of his own ship and giving orders, I doubt he'd be able to sustain a more democratic working relationship. Johnny wouldn't be able to be an employee these days : I can't imagine him, Craig, Mike & Andy all getting into identical T-shirts with "Morrissey IS The Smiths" written on them, no matter how many millions are at stake.

Given that Johnny is the only one who hasn't sued Morrissey, it also seems extremely unlikely they would want to even if Moz would.

Also, despite what we say, M was allegedly turning down deals in 1998-2002 as they stipulated he would have to sack his band, and he does have - or did do - some loyalty. Most likely would be Jesse taking a break and Johnny joining on lead guitar, with Boz on second guitar. But I still give that 0.7% chance of happening.

The big thing here is going back To Smiths is a one-time deal he can't walk back from. I can't see his commercial or critical stock rising after it, because, if we're honest many people found M through The Smiths, and if given the choice between solo Moz and The Smiths, I'd say 90% of punters would go for The Smiths. It might be the type of thing that might possible happen though : Moz's solo career in the UK is certainly the most unhealthy it's been in a very, very long time.
A lot of bands 'temporarily' reform for a 'once off' charity gig, and then stay reformed. It's a blameless way to get back together and helps charity. Great.
But Moz is a skinflint and his motto is 'charity begins at home', so I'd say the chances of a Smiths reunion are the same as the chances of astronauts finding a yellow submarine buried on the moon.

There was a time when this might have appealed, but it's too late, too gross, and besides, the singer is a total f***-wit. Besides, it's the same rumor reheated for a new year. I wouldn't hold my breath.

A lot of bands 'temporarily' reform for a 'once off' charity gig, and then stay reformed. It's a blameless way to get back together and helps charity. Great.
But Moz is a skinflint and his motto is 'charity begins at home', so I'd say the chances of a Smiths reunion are the same as the chances of astronauts finding a yellow submarine buried on the moon.

Oh he is notoriously tight. Knows the price of everything and everyone, and the value of nothing. Those lawnmower parts cost him dearly.

No way, Low In High School was his best album since at least Years Of Refusal. Cali Son was good albeit unnecessary and his voice is at its peak. His vocals have aged like wine

His voice is on better form than his songwriting ability. LIHS isn't a great album. I think half of Refusal was perfect, half was dreary - and it's not as if World Please was that much competition. It's like saying "Tin Machine I" was Bowie's best album since "Tonight."

I have been a fan for thirty odd years until Morrissey confirmed beyond doubt he is racist.
Wish he hadn't spent decades taking my cash and lying.
There is no chance Marr could go on the same stage as Moz now.
Obviously if Morrissey ever plays in the UK again the venues are going to be violent. I will support the antifa outside the venues. I even look forward to the fascists getting a kicking.

Thank God Johnny Marr isn't a c*** with session musicians prepared to prostitute themselves working for a racist prick.

Christ, Skinny, what Johnny Marr wants or does not want is totally irrelevant. He is a minor figure in the UK music scene known as Morrisseys sidekick. Thats all he is..hes not even that outside the UK.

Whatever Moz decides to do with the Smiths, Marr wont be involved in any way shape or form.

Now you got the Trill username giving troll ratings under a new username, We'll Let You Know.
Tack one more.

On reflection I think there will be a 'reunion' tour, but only when either Moz or Marr have died. Whoever is left will break out the holograms and laugh themselves to the bank.

He has made very little money since 1987 and tries to look like
a huge rock star, when he isnt and it looks bad to be broke and be such a 'huge' star.
He would also love the glory and adulation of playing mammoth venues again.

But the thought of 'The Smiths' playing the London o2 makes me cringe.

Back
Top Bottom