NME: "Mike Joyce on ending his feud with Johnny Marr, The Smiths’ reunion row and a mural for Andy Rourke" (October 4, 2024)

“Other people will have other ideas but, as far as I’m concerned, with Andy not being here, it’s impossible to have a reunion of The Smiths. But Morrissey and Marr together? Obviously I read those back-and-forth statements and I’m surprised they didn’t get that together earlier – that they’d have done something 10 or 15 years ago, whenever. The ownership of The Smiths’ name, going out as The Smiths with a different rhythm section? So be it.”

Last edited:
Hard to argue with that. There is an assumption in law that if 2 or more parties enter into a business venture, then the profits of the venture are shared equally, unless there is a clear agreement to do otherwise. If it is true that Morrissey and Marr agreed a 40/40/10/10 split with Andy and Mike, they should have got them to sign something. End of. That's school boy stuff for any manager. Morrissey never should have wasted his money on an appeal.
The full appeal judgment makes interesting reading, with references to conversations that may or not have taken place throughout the life of The Smiths:

It's interesting that at the trial Joyce's credibility was also questioned by Judge Weeks:

What’s more, the judge added to the soap opera drama of the publicly unfurling case with his flourishes of entertainment that seemed to go beyond the call of duty. Rather inexplicably, he ranked the band by their IQ declaring Marr as the most intelligent before stating that Rourke and Joyce were “unintellectual” which, if anything, plays into classic rhythm section stereotypes. And he also offered up his judgement on the basis of character assessments which described Joyce and Rourke as “straightforward and honest”, but condemned Morrissey as “devious, truculent and unreliable where his own interests were at stake”; while Marr was daubed as “willing to embroider his evidence to a point where he became less credible.”

Hard to argue with that. There is an assumption in law that if 2 or more parties enter into a business venture, then the profits of the venture are shared equally, unless there is a clear agreement to do otherwise. If it is true that Morrissey and Marr agreed a 40/40/10/10 split with Andy and Mike, they should have got them to sign something. End of. That's school boy stuff for any manager. Morrissey never should have wasted his money on an appeal.
The full appeal judgment makes interesting reading, with references to conversations that may or not have taken place throughout the life of The Smiths:

It's interesting that at the trial Joyce's credibility was also questioned by Judge Weeks:

What’s more, the judge added to the soap opera drama of the publicly unfurling case with his flourishes of entertainment that seemed to go beyond the call of duty. Rather inexplicably, he ranked the band by their IQ declaring Marr as the most intelligent before stating that Rourke and Joyce were “unintellectual” which, if anything, plays into classic rhythm section stereotypes. And he also offered up his judgement on the basis of character assessments which described Joyce and Rourke as “straightforward and honest”, but condemned Morrissey as “devious, truculent and unreliable where his own interests were at stake”; while Marr was daubed as “willing to embroider his evidence to a point where he became less credible.”

Thanks so much for sharing this - a fascinating read. It's all there in this short paragraph - personally, I think Joe Moss should have sorted this from the beginning.
1728131054641.png

Thanks so much for sharing this - a fascinating read. It's all there in this short paragraph - personally, I think Joe Moss should have sorted this from the beginning.
View attachment 112747
The bit I found interesting was the allegation made by Johnny that he had walked out of The Smiths in 1983 because he wasn't happy with Morrissey's insistence on the 40/40/10/10 split, and that Joyce had persuaded him to stay, thereby suggesting that he was happy with the arrangement.

The bit I found interesting was the allegation made by Johnny that he had walked out of The Smiths in 1983 because he wasn't happy with Morrissey's insistence on the 40/40/10/10 split, and that Joyce had persuaded him to stay, thereby suggesting that he was happy with the arrangement.

I believe in STBFree, Marr said he threatened
to leave The Smiths if Mike and Andy didn’t agree to 40/40/10/10 split. And so Mike and Andy agreed to the % split simply by staying as members. Wonder if Johnny really would have walked out.

But ultimately, nothing was written down on paper. So Mike got his way.

What struck me was how closely news of Morrissey and Marr is still being followed, and the careful mention of how he works with his manager.

Published 30 Sept. in Dork Music Magazine, an interview with indie Manchester band Pale Waves includes this comment:

"It’s the day after Oasis’ long-awaited reunion was first announced, and in the coming days, Morrissey will confirm that Johnny Marr ignored an extremely lucrative offer to tour together as The Smiths. Despite coming from the same city, Pale Waves’ brand of rock’n’roll is very different to a lot of what Manchester typically produces..."

https://readdork.com/features/pale-waves-interview-sept24/

Pale Waves sound good, as per recent release Perfume.

I believe in STBFree, Marr said he threatened
to leave The Smiths if Mike and Andy didn’t agree to 40/40/10/10 split. And so Mike and Andy agreed to the % split simply by staying as members. Wonder if Johnny really would have walked out.

But ultimately, nothing was written down on paper. So Mike got his way.
You don't *agree* just by someone else telling you how it's going to be, though. I don't think anyone has ever claimed Mike and Andy ever actually agreed to 10%, even in court.

The issue of the financial split continued after that episode, and they had formal negotiations about it, but it was never settled. Because there was no manager.

You don't *agree* just by someone else telling you how it's going to be, though. I don't think anyone has ever claimed Mike and Andy ever actually agreed to 10%, even in court.

The issue of the financial split continued after that episode, and they had formal negotiations about it, but it was never settled. Because there was no manager.

And why was there no manager? Because Morrissey fired them all. Just like he is still doing.

Between them, Morrissey and Marr really killed the goose that laid the golden egg. If they'd valued Joyce and Rourke (especially Rourke - I mean, Christ he was even supposedly Marr's best mate, going back to school days!) then a proper Smiths reunion would always have been an option for them. As it is, Morrissey behaved like a prima donna when The Smiths were together; Marr behaved like a prima donna in his press interviews in the years immediately following the break-up; and they both behaved like prima donnas with the legal dispute against Joyce and, in recent years, with their public spats against one another. To think that The Smiths recorded all that classic music in 5 years, and that Morrissey and Marr have now spent the best part of 40 years blinded by their egos and greed... and for what? Joyce seems to be the only one of the three surviving members who grew up and talks and sounds like an adult, instead of being trapped in his adolescence.

You don't *agree* just by someone else telling you how it's going to be, though.

Hmmm, not totally sure if I get you. Do you mean, Marr threatening to leave the band if they (Mike & Andy) don’t agree to the percentage of 10%, and then Mike & Andy staying in the band is not a sign to Marr that they then agree to the 10%? Because from Marr’s account, that’s what seems to have happened, and he (& Morrissey) seemed satisfied with their ( Mike & Andy’s) decision. Isn’t a contract ( in this case spoken) telling you how it’s going to be, and then you can agree or not agree to it?

I don't think anyone has ever claimed Mike and Andy ever actually agreed to 10%, even in court.
Yes. And so that contradicts Marr’s story. I assume Marr would have stated this account in court. But I haven’t read the transcripts. Is Marr’s account not in the transcript. Wasn’t this Morrissey’s argument also, that they agreed to stay in the band after Marr told them he would leave if they didn’t agree to that percentage?

That’s interesting. So it was never settled as to what they were getting even during The Smiths? Even after Marr’s earlier ultimatum?

Last edited:
Hmmm, not totally sure if I get you. Do you mean, Marr threatening to leave the band if they (Mike & Andy) don’t agree to the percentage of 10%, and then Mike & Andy staying in the band is not a sign to Marr that they then agree to the 10%? Because from Marr’s account, that’s what seems to have happened, and he (& Morrissey) seemed satisfied with their ( Mike & Andy’s) decision. Isn’t a contract ( in this case spoken) telling you how it’s going to be, and then you can agree or not agree to it?

Yes. And so that contradicts Marr’s story. I assume Marr would have stated this account in court. But I haven’t read the transcripts. Is Marr’s account not in the transcript. Wasn’t this Morrissey’s argument also, that they agreed to stay in the band after Marr told them he would leave if they didn’t agree to that percentage?
In court, Johnny said that there had been a discussion but no agreement. He also didn't remember talking about a specific percentage, just some sort of reduction.

It's true he didn't leave the band. But that's just not how agreeing something works. A&M would have to do something to agree. Johnny failing to leave the band isn't them agreeing, it's just Johnny not making good on his threat. And I can't see how Johnny could think otherwise.

Morrissey wasn't asked about any of this in court, because he wasn't there. He instructed Johnny to tell Mike and Andy about the pay cut and then left town.

That’s interesting. So it was never settled as to what they were getting even during The Smiths? Even after Marr’s earlier ultimatum?

There was a meeting with solicitors in maybe early 1985 aimed at getting an agreement, but they didn't agree. I think there was a proposal where Mike and Andy would get 25% while they were in the band and then nothing after that.

Mike seems like an honest and humble person. I love what he said about how, for him, it doesn't feel like Andy is even gone. His 'mural mission' for Andy is very touching also, and a welcome sight. Additionally, I really like how Marr and Mike can be mature and respectful when seeing one another.

I remember just in the last handful (or so) of years when Mike was at a Smiths/Morrissey event I believe, and he picked up for himself some classic Morrissey memorabilia and seemed genuinely pleased to have it. Some of the items I think he had were Morrissey drinking glasses, and they might have been Kill Uncle-era if memory serves correct.

Honesty, I'd say he admires both Johnny and Morrissey to this day.

Nice to read how enjoyable the Strangeways sessions were. Strange how it seems a Danny Kelly article was enough to tear apart all those bonds within months.

Nice to read how enjoyable the Strangeways sessions were. Strange how it seems a Danny Kelly article was enough to tear apart all those bonds within months.

I feel that the narrative originally was that the Strangeways sessions were tense and that this pic was used as evidence. Later all sides seemed to say it was an enjoyable experience and their favorite work.

R-390004-1581871538-3816.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom