Morrissey Central "THE END OF CHILDHOOD" (September 30, 2024)

September 30, 2024

June 16, 1972
1000024754.jpg

Last edited:

💜

Edit: for your journalistic notes, the above show, also from 1972, may have been similar to what M experienced. Wonder if M ever owned a pair of platforms with a lemon sole so very high.

IMG_20240731_031218.jpg

Don't know if this is real or not, but I can see young Morrissey having them :LOL:.

On that note, I do wonder if Bengali in Platforms might be about him feeling like he doesn't belong.

View attachment 112555

Don't know if this is real or not, but I can see young Morrissey having them :LOL:.

On that note, I do wonder if Bengali in Platforms might be about him feeling like he doesn't belong.
"On that note, I do wonder if Bengali in Platforms might be about him feeling like he doesn't belong."

Couldn't be, because then one of the legs of the racist stool gets broken.

Last edited:
If so, he should have just called it Morrissey in Platforms and left the Bengalis out of it.
Not everything has to be literal. It could be intended as a smokescreen and he doesn't want people to think that all his songs are autobiographical. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Anyway, I quite love that song. Never seen it to be racist at all.

"Oh, shelve your Western plans and understand
'Cause life is hard enough when you belong here"

I always thought that Morrissey meant that the 'Bengali' already belongs here but tries to hard to westernize himself (or be something he isn't) as a mean to adapt himself - which in turn makes it harder for him. In essence, it's better to be yourself than to conform to other people's expectations of you in the name of fitting in. That's my interpretation of the song :).

Not everything has to be literal. It could be intended as a smokescreen and he doesn't want people to think that all his songs are autobiographical. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Anyway, I quite love that song. Never seen it to be racist at all.

"Oh, shelve your Western plans and understand
'Cause life is hard enough when you belong here"

I always thought that Morrissey meant that the 'Bengali' already belongs here but tries to hard to westernize himself (or be something he isn't) as a mean to adapt himself - which in turn makes it harder for him. In essence, it's better to be yourself than to conform to other people's expectations of you in the name of fitting in. That's my interpretation of the song :).

Tell that to the Bengalis lampooned in the song.

And last month Bangladeshis clashed on London Streets as rioters hurled missiles at police and smashed cars after 10 were killed in anti-government riots in ... DHAKA. And they call this enrichment. Life really is hard enough when you belong here ... it really is. Just as multiculturalism robs people of their individuality, it also corrodes solidarity between groups. As Kenan Malik has detailed, the Asian Youth Movements of the late 1970s, in which young British Asians of different religious and ethnic backgrounds united against state racism and far-right thuggery, were eventually undone by the rise of multiculturalism – by the all-too-successful attempt to push them back into their respective corners. ‘By the mid-1980s the focus of concern [of young Asians] had shifted from political issues, such as policing and immigration, to religious and cultural issues’, wrote Malik such as ‘a demand for Muslim schools and for separate education for girls’. The Islamist-led campaign against Salman Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses in the late 1980s emerged from this new landscape of state-funded sectarianism, with many anti-Rushdie activists starting out as so-called community leaders. Morrissey's crime then as now, is for seeing things as they are and expressing his opinion from a Northern Working Class point of view. The idea that Morrissey is racist, or worse, some kind of white supremacist remains absurd. He wasn't lampooning anyone, he was saying 'Ave at it. But we're already here, and look how we ( the working class ) are marginalized and treated. You will fair no better in the globalist scheme than we do'.

Seems like you haven't actually read my interpretations of the song - being that I don't believe they're being 'lampooned' as you said. It could be any noun: Italians, Pakistanis, Malays (seeing as I'm one, that would be fun!) and some people would still fall all over themselves to be offended on behalf of someone else. Are you a Bengali and you feel offended by this song? That would change this discussion a bit then but I doubt you are.

But okay I'll tell the Bengalis about this song just for you ;). Maybe I'll stop by Thatchers' grave to tell her she's being mocked as well, what with the song being Margaret on the Guillotine and all. That's one more obvious I think.

I think that is just wonderful that he has his first concert ticket & we sure wish they were those cheap prices now. In Australia we are looking at $400 and upwards these days for just a basic seat in the nosebleed sections :LOL:

I love the thought he has a memory box of these things - your first concert is something you do not forget.

Is he just proving he still has all this stuff? Or is he actually doing anything with it all?

I think he is just sharing it with us. I am enjoying it.

I used to follow Prince on Twitter and he would post random things, cryptic messages and interact with us that same way and I loved it.
Until one day Prince was no longer posting - the silence was deafening as his last post hung suspended in time.

One day we have them in our universe and the next we do not so I am happy to see these posts and Morrissey is sharing a little bit of his personal memorabilia with us. As a music collector myself I appreciate it.

I think that is just wonderful that he has his first concert ticket & we sure wish they were those cheap prices now. In Australia we are looking at $400 and upwards these days for just a basic seat in the nosebleed sections :LOL:

I love the thought he has a memory box of these things - your first concert is something you do not forget.
Kids can't even keep their first concert ticket these days. They don't get one; it's all on phones. A printed screen capture isn't the same. I guess one could put their old phone in a box.

Frankly, I don't care what he posts on Central, I just love seeing what's on his mind. In a way, this is the only way we can.
He seems to be rummaging through old things and sharing it with us.
How do you guys NOT think that's sweet?
I think it's sweet.

Kids can't even keep their first concert ticket these days. They don't get one; it's all on phones. A printed screen capture isn't the same. I guess one could put their old phone in a box.
This is true - best you can do is buy a tour book and put in the printed up email of ticket confirmation inside now.

In Australia our concert tickets are lame compared to some I see from overseas that have the artists photo or promo photo for the tour on them - here we are lucky to get the text on it :ROFLMAO:

Still got my first ticket stub, Adam & The Ants at Chelmsford odeon, December 1980, for the eye watering amount of £3.00

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom