"Beethoven Was Deaf" - Abbey Road remaster released (July 26, 2024)

Featuring a selection of songs from two 1992 concerts, Beethoven Was Deaf is released again today.
Available in black or orange gatefold "biovinyl" records, compact disc and digital versions.

IMG_20240725_154426~2.jpg
IMG_20240725_154439~2.jpg

The CD insert is 2 folded pieces of paper with 2 staples through them.
Only the CD has 3 larger versions (legs) of the photography:

IMG_20240725_1809392 a.jpg

IMG_20240725_1543162 a.jpg

Credits confirming the remaster is by Frank Arkwright.

IMG_20240725_1541112 a.jpg

Above image CD gatefold: Michael Gottschalk - "Rock am Ring", Nuerburg (June 2, 2006).

IMG_20240725_154145~3.jpg

To clarify which song is from which concert:

You're the One for Me, Fatty
Certain People I Know
National Front Disco

November Spawned a Monster
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
The Loop
Sister I'm a Poet
Jack the Ripper
Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday

We'll Let You Know
Suedehead (possibly not from either gig)
He Knows I'd Love to See Him
You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side
Glamorous Glue

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

Astoria Theatre, London - December 20, 1992
Le Zénith, Paris -December 22, 1992

Unlike the original vinyl's "WOULD YOU RISK IT FOR A BISCUIT", there is no matrix message on either vinyl edition.
Regards,
FWD.

(The word 'Rhino' doesn't feature anywhere on these products. Images by FWD).

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this "Esteban" Morrissey himself?
Yes, a nom de plume used in conjunction with Darren Evans.
That may not, however, equate to being fully involved.
Just my view of the information FWIW.
FWD.

fun listening/seeing this on spotify today but also was it a necessary remaster/reissue?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

in regards to the vinyl, those that don’t have or can’t pay for the original. It could be a good deal for them.

And of course, the collectors will have something new to add to their (useless?) collection.

I much prefer Bob Clearmountains original mix. Boz back in the mix. Too much bass and less crowd noise. Sounds sterile to me . I was really hoping this was going to be magnificent but it's not sadly. As the man once said why meddle with a masterpiece.

As a collector, I don't know if I can live without this.
Looking at that misplaced artwork though, I don't know if I can actually live with it either.
What's a girl to do? :unsure:

My guess based on more than a hunch:
Warners own the album "in perpetuity", but have an issue with use of the Suedehead track on the original album.
They start the remastered project in 2023 and substitute for a version that is OK for use - as evidenced by the change to the original version on streaming sites.
They then use Getty images (not usual behaviour whatsoever) for the entire project and give Esteban and Evans credit for the artwork. Meanwhile, Morrissey has to be seen to approve of it given the current climate around "deals", but has little control or say in the matter (as per other Waners/Parlophone releases).
My view is shaped by talking to reps at Warners and the changes to the track on the original - which appears to be a licensing issue if anything?
Regards,
FWD.
This post is fascinating and informative. These sorts of shenanigans by record companies give credence to the notion that if you really want to "own" an album, you need to buy it in its original, physical form.

Was initially very happy to see this get a re-release on vinyl, for the original is pretty pricey and I’ve not got a copy - but I think I’ll give it a miss.
Held it in a shop and it felt cheap, looked cheap and all those tracks spread across one record will probably sound cheap too.
Would have appreciated a proper re-issue - double LP at least and with some half decent artwork from at least the same decade as the concerts took place! Maybe even change the title so not to soil the originals value - “Down and Out in Paris and London?”

Sorry to be negative, but I just don’t see what the point was really.

Back
Top Bottom