"Beethoven Was Deaf" - Abbey Road remaster released (July 26, 2024)

Featuring a selection of songs from two 1992 concerts, Beethoven Was Deaf is released again today.
Available in black or orange gatefold "biovinyl" records, compact disc and digital versions.

IMG_20240725_154426~2.jpg
IMG_20240725_154439~2.jpg

The CD insert is 2 folded pieces of paper with 2 staples through them.
Only the CD has 3 larger versions (legs) of the photography:

IMG_20240725_1809392 a.jpg

IMG_20240725_1543162 a.jpg

Credits confirming the remaster is by Frank Arkwright.

IMG_20240725_1541112 a.jpg

Above image CD gatefold: Michael Gottschalk - "Rock am Ring", Nuerburg (June 2, 2006).

IMG_20240725_154145~3.jpg

To clarify which song is from which concert:

You're the One for Me, Fatty
Certain People I Know
National Front Disco

November Spawned a Monster
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
The Loop
Sister I'm a Poet
Jack the Ripper
Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday

We'll Let You Know
Suedehead (possibly not from either gig)
He Knows I'd Love to See Him
You're Gonna Need Someone on Your Side
Glamorous Glue

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

Astoria Theatre, London - December 20, 1992
Le Zénith, Paris -December 22, 1992

Unlike the original vinyl's "WOULD YOU RISK IT FOR A BISCUIT", there is no matrix message on either vinyl edition.
Regards,
FWD.

(The word 'Rhino' doesn't feature anywhere on these products. Images by FWD).

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Suedehead was noticed to be changed in 2023 on streaming sites.
Won't be able to compare audience recordings etc for a while.
The thread suggests it's the Hammersmith '91 version... 🤔
FWD.
Ah OK - if it's the 1991 version from the 'We Hate It' single B-Side - rather than a previously unreleased live version - then that negates any 'well, at least it's something we haven't heard before' exclusivity. I'm wondering if it was a deliberate choice, or if at some point during the preparation process for the streaming version someone got the files mixed up, no one official noticed and it's now made it to the official physical re-issue?

Some other posters here were musing about 'You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side' being a different version as well. From a brief comparison of the old and new versions on YouTube, I can't hear any real difference - they sound the same to me. I think it's just 'Suedehead' that's the 'wrong' version.

My guess based on more than a hunch:
Warners own the album "in perpetuity", but have an issue with use of the Suedehead track on the original album.
They start the remastered project in 2023 and substitute for a version that is OK for use - as evidenced by the change to the original version on streaming sites.
They then use Getty images (not usual behaviour whatsoever) for the entire project and give Esteban and Evans credit for the artwork. Meanwhile, Morrissey has to be seen to approve of it given the current climate around "deals", but has little control or say in the matter (as per other Waners/Parlophone releases).
My view is shaped by talking to reps at Warners and the changes to the track on the original - which appears to be a licensing issue if anything?
Regards,
FWD.

Morrissey has nothing but total and utter contempt for his fans. He is in love with himself. I count myself so very fortunate to have been a fan of his when it was glorious and wonderous time to be so. I was there at his 1st US solo concert at the San Diego Sports Arena in 1991. Followed by concerts in 1992,1995,1997,1999,2004, 2007,2009,2012,2014,2015 et al. Those early years an era when brilliant singles with with amazing B-sides were an embarrassment of riches. Perhaps BOT would be a return to those halcyon days. But we'll NEVER KNOW because it's NEVER going to be released. I can remember when Morrissey sold out the Hollywood Bowl faster than the Beatles, now in 2024 he can't sell out a show at the glorified night club that is the Las Vegas House of Blues. F+#K sakes-
keep going your on a roll,only roll you will be on is a sausage roll.

Last edited:
the haters are out in force today,there must be a show tonight,yip there is.
bunch a space cadets the lot of them.

keep going your on a roll.
You are like an ostrich. Keep your head in the sand because reality sucks, you don't even want to try to understand. In your mind Morrissey of 2024 is still thin, handsome, and successful, with an amazing quiff. If it makes you happy, go for it. Just don't get mad when we tell you different.

You are like an ostrich. Keep your head in the sand because reality sucks, you don't even want to try to understand. In your mind Morrissey of 2024 is still thin, handsome, and successful, with an amazing quiff. If it makes you happy, go for it. Just don't get mad when we tell you different.
i will keep being an ostrich for one simple reason and that reason is that it annoys you.
think you will find its the opposite,the haters long for morrissey of 1983 whereas i like the morrissey of 2024.

Ah, thank you! So Spotify gives a live album from 1993 the meaning it has. And only a few people with very good ears can hear a difference in sound.

So move on Moz, you can give us BOT now very SOON! :tiphat:

wouldn't it be something if he surprise-released BOT by having copies on the merch table tonight?
obviously that would never happen and i'd die of shock, surely, but still it's fun to imagine that he might do something so cool.....

My guess based on more than a hunch:
Warners own the album "in perpetuity", but have an issue with use of the Suedehead track on the original album.
They start the remastered project in 2023 and substitute for a version that is OK for use - as evidenced by the change to the original version streaming sites.
They then use Getty images (not usual behaviour whatsoever) for the entire project and give Esteban and Evans credit for the artwork. Meanwhile, Morrissey has to be seen to approve of it given the current climate around "deals", but has little control or say in the matter (as per other Waners/Parlophone releases).
My view is shaped by talking to reps at Warners and the changes to the track on the original - which appears to be a licensing issue if anything.
Regards,
FWD.
listening on iTunes this morning the version of “Suedehead” sounded to me like the 1992 arrangement or have I gone mad? Is it just the physical product that has the 1991 take of the song?

Why the consistent 2006 obsession for a 1992 recording? This is just baffling. Are we going to get a 'Ringleader' reissue next plastered with photographs of Morrissey from 1986? Someone please explain this madness? :squiffy:

Confused Thinking GIF

My view is shaped by talking to reps at Warners and the changes to the track on the original - which appears to be a licensing issue if anything?
I don't understand why it would be a licensing issue, just for that particular recording of 'Suedehead', when they own the rights to reissue the rest of the album? My gut feeling is it's either going to be 1) a good old-0fashioned honest cock-up, or 2) Morrissey prefers this 1991 performance for some reason, and has done some 'revision'.

Stupid Amazon, man. I preordered back on June 4th and they just sent me an email saying I won't get it until the middle to late August. This is the second time I preordered something and this happened, even though people all over the world are still getting it in the post today. It happened with the R.E.M. Up anniversary set. Anyone else?

Back
Top Bottom