Your most loved Southpaw Grammar lyrics

I've read it as "I don't see the join" on some websites, but I too thought he said "joy" at first. Yes, it's an album like no other in its feel! It went from being my least favourite to one of the ones I listen to the most. Like I say in my original post, it helps to vindicate my feelings about grammar schools and what they did to me, as does The Headmaster Ritual by The Smiths.

With a tether to my wife, in the kite that you're flying

I mean who else would come up with such gems? This album in particular is full of little lines like that which go unnoticed until you've heard it plenty of times.
I think it’s “a tear that’s a mile wide”.

Caught in your headlights
Like a frightened animal
Oh, you must remember

Low-lights and long nights
I try hard to not remember
And you - too beautiful
I can't look

I've done so very many stupid things
It's too late (remember)
I came to this song late but it's fab, of course. What is your interpretation of it, I wonder?

Last edited:
I second, 'the girl of your dreams, is sad and all alone'....always has been my favorite...for me it brings two main thoughts...could I have changed her present outcome, or can I change her present outcome.

I like Southpaw Grammar. It gets a lot of heat, but it's a solid listen if you're in the mood....or a mood, I guess....

Be safe all...

I second, 'the girl of your dreams, is sad and all alone'....always has been my favorite...for me it brings two main thoughts...could I have changed her present outcome, or can I change her present outcome.

I like Southpaw Grammar. It gets a lot of heat, but it's a solid listen if you're in the mood....or a mood, I guess....

Be safe all...
I much prefer the 2009 re-jig of the tracklist. The Teachers is incredible, but it was a very stormy way to start the original album. Moz was right to make some changes. He really likes that album. It's Maladjusted that he has said was inferior. I don't think so at all though.

Morrissey and Alain look hot in the video for The Boy Racer, and that's about all I have to add to this conversation

SG is such an odd album. It has some of Morrissey's best lyrics (Teachers, Reader Meets Author, Southpaw) and tracks (nearly everything else) on which he barely bothers to show up. Simon Goddard has pointed out that it's the only Moz album which has more instrumental parts than parts where he is singing. No other album comes even close to that.

...Assuming said person was really sad and all alone, and it was not projection...but I don't think the author thought too deeply about that :) No idea whose point of view it's spozed to be, but I always found it simplistic, by M's standards...(Not that he can't be simple, Bless 'im.)

Last edited:
SG is such an odd album. It has some of Morrissey's best lyrics (Teachers, Reader Meets Author, Southpaw) and tracks (nearly everything else) on which he barely bothers to show up. Simon Goddard has pointed out that it's the only Moz album which has more instrumental parts than parts where he is singing. No other album comes even close to that.
The instrumental experimentation is actually why I love Southpaw. It's worth pointing out that Southpaw is between 7 and 10 minutes longer than his previous albums. Having said all that, the 2009 remaster was still much needed. The original lacked punch, and it's fair to say that even though he never lost his pitch accuracy as a singer, he did sound relatively subdued in the 90's. In the liner notes of the re-release he admits to a resignedness in his voice resulting from a hostile recording process. He also says that the cover art was a mistake, and who would disagree? It doesn't help to endear one to the album. It's a grower.

Yeah, I like it when artists try to do and give us something a little different with each album.

The instrumental experimentation is actually why I love Southpaw. It's worth pointing out that Southpaw is between 7 and 10 minutes longer than his previous albums. Having said all that, the 2009 remaster was still much needed. The original lacked punch, and it's fair to say that even though he never lost his pitch accuracy as a singer, he did sound relatively subdued in the 90's. In the liner notes of the re-release he admits to a resignedness in his voice resulting from a hostile recording process. He also says that the cover art was a mistake, and who would disagree? It doesn't help to endear one to the album. It's a grower.
The track listing on the re-release made no sense though. Teachers and Southpaw worked when they were bookending the album but stranded in the middle of the album they just sound too long. And putting on Fantastic Bird from 1992 was strange too. If he had just given us the original album and then the bonus tracks after it.

The track listing on the re-release made no sense though. Teachers and Southpaw worked when they were bookending the album but stranded in the middle of the album they just sound too long. And putting on Fantastic Bird from 1992 was strange too. If he had just given us the original album and then the bonus tracks after it.
Yeah, Teachers probably should have ended the album come to think of it. I didn't know Fantastic Bird was from 1992, I like it a lot. Unmixed, apparently, but you can barely tell.

Back
Top Bottom