Morrissey Central "LYRIC PRIDE" (July 10, 2024)

songs from which Morrissey feels most lyrical self-fulfilment

1. IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART
2. HOW SOON IS NOW?
3. LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME
4. SMILER WITH KNIFE
5. SEASICK, YET STILL DOCKED
6. TROUBLE LOVES ME
7. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT
8. PAINT A VULGAR PICTURE
9. ONCE I SAW THE RIVER CLEAN
10 REBELS WITHOUT APPLAUSE
11 GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA
12 HOLD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
13 FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE
14 WE'LL LET YOU KNOW
15 WHY DON'T YOU FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF
16 A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE LAND IS OURS
17 ASLEEP
18 READER MEET AUTHOR
19 I WISH YOU LONELY
20 LIFE IS A PIGSTY
21 HOME IS A QUESTION MARK
22 YES, I AM BLIND
23 I WILL SEE YOU IN FAR-OFF PLACES
24 EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY
25 THAT'S HOW PEOPLE GROW UP
26 THE HEADMASTER RITUAL
27 THE GIRL FROM TEL-AVIV WHO WOULDN'T KNEEL
28 THE FATHER WHO MUST BE KILLED
29 JACKY'S ONLY HAPPY WHEN SHE'S UP ON THE STAGE
30 BECAUSE OF MY POOR EDUCATION
31 I'M NOT A MAN
32 LET ME KISS YOU
33 SPENT THE DAY IN BED
34 I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS
35 THE NEVER-PLAYED SYMPHONIES
36 MY LIFE IS A SUCCESSION OF PEOPLE SAYING GOODBYE
37 ISTANBUL
38 SPEEDWAY
39 GANGLORD
40 SCANDINAVIA

4e1856925f1deedb22d8648f6ce9d9d892027286.png

Last edited by a moderator:
never really cared for irish blood english heart, i always thought he should have kicked off his 2004 comeback single with first of the gang. Not that it’s a bad song it just didn’t feel like an A-side it felt like it was stuck somewhere inbetween an A and a B side.

Interesting you say that because I've never heard this song before, but I did read the lyrics yesterday. They were very poetic.
"If such things weren't meant to be
Then they would never come to me" from Smiler - I love those lines.

If you really want to be moved, check out "Smiler with a Knife" Zagreb 2014 live on you tube. wow.

Am I the only one who thinks that he puts some of these things on Central just to read Solo for our reactions; in a way.. connecting with us? I can't help but wonder. I sometimes think he is among us here on this site, also making posts, perhaps just as an anonymous.
There have been times I have seen a post, rarely tho, and wondered if it was him

No Bonfire? Friday Mourning? Never played Symphonies? Still, it's nice to be reminded how much of a contribution he's made to art. The tragedy is most people will never know.

No Bonfire? Friday Mourning? Never played Symphonies? Still, it's nice to be reminded how much of a contribution he's made to art. The tragedy is most people will never know.

The Never-Played Symphonies is on there towards the end.

Am I the only one who thinks that he puts some of these things on Central just to read Solo for our reactions; in a way.. connecting with us? I can't help but wonder. I sometimes think he is among us here on this site, also making posts, perhaps just as an anonymous.
I think it is probably more to do with his previous Misserrey Central post were he promoted meat lovers, Booths. He's probably a bit embarrassed and has used this as a distraction.

Last edited:
I think it is probably more to do with his previous Misserrey Central post were he promoted meat lovers, Booths. He's probably is a bit embarrassed and has used this as a distraction.
I think you flatter him with more self-awareness than he'll ever possess. This is a person who complains about people eating meat while wearing leather shoes.

Surely they're vegan leather, aka plastic.
I think they are now, but they weren’t always. Vaguely remember something about it a few years ago, and he made a point about now only wearing fake leather. Might have been around the time of the ‘butter & cheese on the rider’ furore.

I think they are now, but they weren’t always. Vaguely remember something about it a few years ago, and he made a point about now only wearing fake leather. Might have been around the time of the ‘butter & cheese on the rider’ furore.
Yes, I do recall him saying in the Johnathan Ross interview (I think.. was it the Larry King one?..) that he wasn't always vegan, he was vegetarian first.

Why do people think they can judge Morrissey´s choice? He wrote the songs, what did you do you? Well you just sit there.

Details (Dec. 1992):
Are those leather shoes you're wearing?

"Yes, and this is a leather belt."

Explain, please. Don't you feel complicit?

"I don't recall at any time asking people to stop eating dead animals or to stop wearing leather. I think if you ask people to do everything, they become so confused that they do absolutely nothing."

Add:
Although in 2006, Spin magazine reported that he had ‘gone leather-free’.

Grazia:
"Despite being a staunch supporter of animal rights, the singer was often spotted wearing leather and suede footwear, and once said of his favourite shoes, (a pair of suede moccasins that were a gift from Pete Burns) 'I find shoes difficult to be ethical about - one just can't seem to avoid leather. One is trapped, ultimately.'" (November, 2009).

Independent: Stella McCartney to team up with Morrissey for vegan shoe range
(December, 2009)

“Stella is a fan of Morrissey but those rumours of a collaboration for a shoe line are simply not true,” the update said.
(NME - December, 2009)

Et al...

All very much a contrarian, muddled history if you start digging - what's new!?
Similarly, he may enjoy suggesting lists just to provoke this type of discussion - whilst knowing things like There Is A Light.. will always be seen by the majority as worth including. Playing with people's subjectivity by distorting his own isn't beyond him perhaps?
FWD.

Details (Dec. 1992):

"I don't recall at any time asking people to stop eating dead animals or to stop wearing leather. I think if you ask people to do everything, they become so confused that they do absolutely nothing."

Add:

Grazia:
"Despite being a staunch supporter of animal rights, the singer was often spotted wearing leather and suede footwear, and once said of his favourite shoes, (a pair of suede moccasins that were a gift from Pete Burns) 'I find shoes difficult to be ethical about - one just can't seem to avoid leather. One is trapped, ultimately.'" (November, 2009).

(December, 2009)

“Stella is a fan of Morrissey but those rumours of a collaboration for a shoe line are simply not true,” the update said.
(NME - December, 2009)

Et al...

Similarly, he may enjoy suggesting lists just to provoke this type of discussion - whilst knowing things like There Is A Light.. will always be seen by the majority as worth including. Playing with people's subjectivity by distorting his own isn't beyond him perhaps?
FWD.
Regards.

Details (Dec. 1992):

Add:

Grazia:

(December, 2009)

(NME - December, 2009)

Et al...

FWD.
One person's muddlement is another's rank hypocrisy.

All the young people must fall in love
Sounds like he’s hearing the music for the first time and making it up as he goes along
But good for him, making a list, interesting to read, odd, but better than silence.

Maybe the 2 unreleased albums could be made into one and things like notre dame and I live in oblivion quietly forgotten?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom