Morrissey Central "THE PLOT THICKENS" (September 15, 2024)

Trademark-Search.jpg

J Marr has successfully applied for 100% trademark rights / Intellectual Property ownership of The Smiths name. His application has been accepted on whatever oaths or proclamations he has put forward. This action was done without any consultation to Morrissey, and without allowing Morrissey the standard opportunity of 'objection'. Amongst many other things, this means that Marr can now tour as The Smiths using the vocalist of his choice, and it also prohibits Morrissey from using the name whilst also denying Morrissey considerable financial livelihood.

Morrissey alone created the musical unit name 'The Smiths' in May 1982.

Media items:

Last edited:
Marr just responded. Morrissey lying as usual.

could be partly paranoia, or an issue of trust.
The ball is now in Morrissey’s court, and I’m sure many of us would like him to address his inaccuracies, or even his fears of Johnny misusing The Smiths name.

Of course but I've been a fan of Smiths/Morrissey since I was 20 and I've to this day never seen him explain his bending of the truth.

Some artists are problematic. I’m sorry if you have no empathy for these types. Morrissey has always been a bit nutty, it is one of the reasons why Morrissey & Marr worked so well together to create those songs.

In all probability, J Marr filed the trademark to stop the Classically Smiths shows proceeding.

It was exactly this.
And Marr has confirmed.

View attachment 111523
Johnny Marr has just responded on x

Problem is no one owns a fax machine anymore so how could Morrissey possibly sign the doc?

In the media:

Or this thread. I'm so glad this is can all be put to bed now.

And this is a prime example of the exhausting drama JM had to deal with.

And types like Morrissey have to deal with the
drama created by ‘normal’ people and society itself. No point in trying to explain. One knows or they don’t.

there is a better world…’

Johnny Marr is more than intelligent enough to know that if he was to tour as The Smiths without Morrissey, then not only would it be utterly, utterly lame but that Smiths devotees would never forgive him.
I've said it before:
despite what is going on now, don't be at all surprised if a reunion of sorts DOES happen. Morrissey and Marr are both money mad.
Incidentally, it's funny that Morrissey writes about being deprived of 'significant financial earnings'.....
that is EXACTLY what he and Marr did to Andy and Mike.
Karma eh, Brother?
She's a real bitch.
Johnny Marr admitted to being the one who insisted on the division of earnings; something Morrissey got blamed for until a few years ago. Johnny broke up The Smiths without notice, though registered himself as a solo company months before. Johnny is more of the exploitative capitalist than Morrissey ever was. Btw, I wondered if Mike Joyce ever said anything about who advised him to take the case?

Last edited:
Johnny Marr admitted to being the one who insisted on the division of earnings; something Morrissey got blamed for until a few years ago.
Source? That is not true. They made a joint decision very early on.

Johnny Marr admitted to being the one who insisted on the division of earnings; something Morrissey got blamed for until a few years ago. Johnny broke up The Smiths without notice, thought registered himself as a solo company months before. Johnny is more of the exploitative capitalist than Morrissey ever was. Btw, I wondered if Mike Joyce ever said anything about who advised him to take the case?
1) I believe Johnny agreed to the royalty split, he did not "insist" on it - he thought as Moz did, that they weren't a band of equals.

2) The idea that he broke up The Smiths is debatable, at best. He took off, needed a break, never articulated a desire for a break up, and then read that comments by Moz et al that he left the band. .

3) He claims he told Moz etc about the copyright ussue before doing the solo reigster thing first, and there is zero evidence to the contrary.
4) Moz has had at various times royalty payment problems with his solo work too (e.g. not compensating his co-writeers. . So, he's capitalist too.

Last edited:
Johnny Marr admitted to being the one who insisted on the division of earnings; something Morrissey got blamed for until a few years ago. Johnny broke up The Smiths without notice, thought registered himself as a solo company months before. Johnny is more of the exploitative capitalist than Morrissey ever was. Btw, I wondered if Mike Joyce ever said anything about who advised him to take the case?
If I recall correctly, Joyce was in the process of applying for a mortgage shortly after the demise of the band and his accountant needed Joyce to provide proof of earnings. He claims he had always been under the impression he was getting 25%, but when he actually got confirmation (I'm assuming from Rough Trade) he learnt it was only 10%. And that started the ball rolling.

Back
Top Bottom