Morrissey Central "LYRIC PRIDE" (July 10, 2024)

songs from which Morrissey feels most lyrical self-fulfilment

1. IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART
2. HOW SOON IS NOW?
3. LAST NIGHT I DREAMT THAT SOMEBODY LOVED ME
4. SMILER WITH KNIFE
5. SEASICK, YET STILL DOCKED
6. TROUBLE LOVES ME
7. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT
8. PAINT A VULGAR PICTURE
9. ONCE I SAW THE RIVER CLEAN
10 REBELS WITHOUT APPLAUSE
11 GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA
12 HOLD ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
13 FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE
14 WE'LL LET YOU KNOW
15 WHY DON'T YOU FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF
16 A RUSH AND A PUSH AND THE LAND IS OURS
17 ASLEEP
18 READER MEET AUTHOR
19 I WISH YOU LONELY
20 LIFE IS A PIGSTY
21 HOME IS A QUESTION MARK
22 YES, I AM BLIND
23 I WILL SEE YOU IN FAR-OFF PLACES
24 EVERYDAY IS LIKE SUNDAY
25 THAT'S HOW PEOPLE GROW UP
26 THE HEADMASTER RITUAL
27 THE GIRL FROM TEL-AVIV WHO WOULDN'T KNEEL
28 THE FATHER WHO MUST BE KILLED
29 JACKY'S ONLY HAPPY WHEN SHE'S UP ON THE STAGE
30 BECAUSE OF MY POOR EDUCATION
31 I'M NOT A MAN
32 LET ME KISS YOU
33 SPENT THE DAY IN BED
34 I'M THROWING MY ARMS AROUND PARIS
35 THE NEVER-PLAYED SYMPHONIES
36 MY LIFE IS A SUCCESSION OF PEOPLE SAYING GOODBYE
37 ISTANBUL
38 SPEEDWAY
39 GANGLORD
40 SCANDINAVIA

4e1856925f1deedb22d8648f6ce9d9d892027286.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of those listed and even those omitted do have the potential to leave one scratching one’s head.

It would be interesting to see how the list would changed if he’d have done this every 5 yrs.

Selfishly I am admittedly a bit saddened that There Is A Light isn’t on there. Whilst he may no longer relate to it personally (as he’s admitted to regarding some other faves), to me that song is timeless, lyrically.

Is it? He knows better than we do what songs he derives most fulfilment from singing.
Maybe those early Smiths songs don’t mean as much to him anymore, as they do to someone who is still mentally stuck in an 80s bedsit in 2024.

I don't think great songs ever age. Maybe those early songs are just too painful to understand their worth.

Life is a Pigsty being number 20 is wild, how is Smiler With Knife a better song than that?

I really would love for Moz to do a book like One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem though. Getting more insight on why some of these are his favorite songs would be so interesting.

Nowhere does it say that this is a ranking of his 40 favorite lyrics. These are the 40 songs that he derives most fulfillment from singing.

Still, there is plenty to be stunned about.

This post is further proof that he's losing it mentally. Not to mention how smug the whole thing feels. Really effing stupid of him.

Life is a Pigsty being number 20 is wild, how is Smiler With Knife a better song than that?

I really would love for Moz to do a book like One Hundred Lyrics and a Poem though. Getting more insight on why some of these are his favorite songs would be so interesting.
i said that on here over ten years ago,a book where he breaks down the lyrics of his songs,he would never do it because they are too personal to him.

Considering most of his best lyrics were the poetry he wrote/used, for the first few albums..........it shows an astounding lack of self-awareness not to include those early songs.
I wonder if he really is crazy enough to suggest that That's How People Grow Up, I'm Not A Man, and Throwing My Arms Around Paris are better lyrically than The Hand That Rocks The Cradle and I Know It's Over.

I wonder if he really is crazy enough to suggest that That's How People Grow Up, I'm Not A Man, and Throwing My Arms Around Paris are better lyrically than The Hand That Rocks The Cradle and I Know It's Over.

I think I'm Not A Man is a great song but not necessarily particularly truthful, considering M's love and engagement with lad culture of the 90's.

Where does it say that?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom