Johnny Marr tweets response to Smiths reunion rumours

Link via @ordinaryboy86:

Johnny Marr scotches Smiths reunion rumours: 'Nigel Farage on guitar'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...smiths-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage-on-guitar

Johnny Marr responds to Smiths reunion rumours with swipe at Morrissey's political stance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-morrissey-nigel-farage-guitar-a9189001.html

"Nigel Farage on guitar": Johnny Marr responds to The Smiths reunion rumours

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/the-smiths/johnny-marr-responds-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage/

Johnny Marr has quashed rumours The Smiths are set to reunite

http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/1...quashed-rumours-The-Smiths-are-set-to-reunite

Johnny Marr commnets on rumours of The Smiths reunion with right-wing Morrissey jibe

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-reunion-morrissey-johnny-marr/

Johnny Marr Shoots Down Rumors of a Smiths Reunion with Morrissey

http://floodmagazine.com/71141/johnny-marr-shoots-down-rumors-of-a-smiths-reunion-with-morrissey/

Johnny Marr breaks silence on Smiths reunion rumours with Nigel Farage jibe

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-breaks-silence-smiths-17216239.amp

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when Morrissey was witty and clever? Why couldn’t he have beaten Johnny to the punch and got all the good press? He really needs new, sharper people around him to work Twitter and Instagram to his advantage.

When they're all dead, The Smiths will be known as that band who had a tormented singer or that band who had a racist singer. Nothing else will last.

I’m sure their songs will be the most important thing people remember; Morrissey will be remembered for his unique lyrics & ability to make a deep connection with people through the songs he sang & the thoughts & feelings he sang. Anything about him being troubled or racist will be very secondary.

I don't see how it was "low." With the things Morrissey says he ought to be able to take a joke.

Actually, I think he’ll find it a little sad.

Then he’ll go shopping and forget it’s ever happened... ‘The Smiths? who dat?’

:cool:

I’m sure their songs will be the most important thing people remember; Morrissey will be remembered for his unique lyrics & ability to make a deep connection with people through the songs he sang & the thoughts & feelings he sang. Anything about him being troubled or racist will be very secondary.

Yes, but, people will still have an impression of what kind of person he is & it'll shape the way he's talked about.

Yes, but, people will still have an impression of what kind of person he is & it'll shape the way he's talked about.

It depends on what people are like in the future.

:p

Remember when Morrissey was witty and clever? Why couldn’t he have beaten Johnny to the punch and got all the good press? He really needs new, sharper people around him to work Twitter and Instagram to his advantage.
because he knows whatever he says will be twisted,if he was to make a quip having a dig at johnboy it would look like he was backtracking and trying to get into peoples good books,im with him give these rags nothing.

Time will tell.

Eric Clapton made much worse racist comments during a live gig in the late 70’s; Bowie made nazi salutes & made favourable comments about fascism.

Their music is what people remember.

If Morrissey had said that he would have been called a racist.

On the other hand Marr has not said a reunion will not happen

Time will tell.

Eric Clapton made much worse racist comments during a live gig in the late 70’s; Bowie made nazi salutes & made favourable comments about fascism.

Their music is what people remember.

To digress. I couldn't believe how bad Eric Clapton's racist speech was! So, maybe this terrible patch Morrissey is going through will fade away.

If Morrissey had said that he would have been called a racist.

On the other hand Marr has not said a reunion will not happen

True. But I doubt Morrissey will want to spend time with someone who made fun of him & got it featured in The Guardian. I think that bridge has been permanently burned down.

Talking of the grudian...on Mike Joyce's twitter he says:

I'm sure Moz, & maybe this 'reunion' thing will get some form of a mention...:rolleyes:

because he knows whatever he says will be twisted,if he was to make a quip having a dig at johnboy it would look like he was backtracking and trying to get into peoples good books,im with him give these rags nothing.

Or ... because whatever he says now is twisted just like that last statement. Morrissey is a victim of his own stupidity. There is no conspiracy.

His recent attempt at giving "these rags" nothing was to go on stage wearing a f*** the Guardian vest. Subtle.

Johnny Marr is being accused of having a dig at Morrissey with his joke. It's a mere accusation. Just look at the troll-ish ramblings of those attacking Johnny for something they 'think' he has done.

Sad people living sad humourless lives.

Very harshly put - but true. Morrissey has a myth that I knew about without trying to know about. Marr was someone a music-mad older boyfriend had to tell me about & even then, I skipped his chapters in The Severed Alliance.

When they're all dead, The Smiths will be known as that band who had a tormented singer or that band who had a racist singer. Nothing else will last.

Tosh. Johnny is, and has been, an inspiration to so many guitarists and musicians. He was the sound of The Smiths; without him there would be no Morrissey as we know him.

Granted, a singer in a band does garner more of the media spotlight and Morrissey was, and is, no exception. Unfortunately, the spotlight is rarely on the music. This is for two reasons ... 1. recent offerings have been very hit and miss and 2. his jaundiced political statements.

The Smiths will always be referred to in terms of Marr/Morrissey. That's as it should be in terms of song writing credits but Joyce and Rourke are also significant players in the sound of The Smiths.

I think - with slight adjustment - you are correct on this ... Morrissey will be remembered as a tormenting, racist singer. The Smiths will be remembered as a band that in its time had a decent following, but following it's demise, became one of the most influential bands of the 20th century.

Morrissey - the secondary, racist singer. Quite the epitaph

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom