Belle & Sebastian's Stuart Murdoch on Morrissey and The Smiths (September 9, 2024)

• Thread starter Thread starter Cartman
  • Start date Start date
Another one jumping on the bandwagon:

"The trouble with The Smiths is that they are still so good. You’d expect them to be found out, what with the direction their singer went in recent years. But there’s no fade, there’s no mistake. If anything their records get better (maybe because I haven’t listened in a while).
I listened to Half A Person, a b side, and it dazzles and left me dizzy still with its unmistakable brilliance. I know many can’t listen any more, and I don’t often, but there it is. As my care for the singer has diminished, so my love for Marr and Rourke and Joyce has grown.."

Full posts and some interesting replies.

He's as mainstream as it gets at this point in time. Just because you know nerds who never knew anything about anything........doesn't really mean anything.

You should find cooler friends.
Naw man, I agree with your opposition. He’s no doubt a very successful musician who typically gets to do things on his terms but that’s because he’s got a few million devout fans across the world who move mountains to support him.

Mainstream he is not. At one time a band like AFI was all over MTV like Moz’s early solo days, but that was roughly 20 years ago and nobody would dare to call them “mainstream” these days. I actually find more common people (Uber drivers, bar patrons, co-workers) have heard AFI’s “Miss Murder” than they’ve heard a Morrissey song.

I love to talk about my favorite artists with people, and 8/10 times when I bring up Morrissey most commoners have no idea who he is, or it’s the slightest faint idea. Obviously location plays a role, as I’m on the west coast of the United States, but I’m telling you - he’s hardly known at least US wise.

Good lord, calm down. I can't figure out which is worse, Morrissey or his die hards, I almost feel sympathetic toward him when I realize people like you are really all he has left. His talent is gone, he is clearly losing his mind, he is completely self destructive, he's lost all his looks and he is a pariah in the music industry. The song you are calling 'pedestrian' because you clearly don't understand it (it's a bit over your head, obviously) was reviewed very favorably by critics, as was the entire album. Seriously, using 'pedestrian' as a put down, here of all places, given the absolutely hideous decline of Morrissey's 'talent' :lbf:
His talent isn't all gone. The songwriting has declined generally, but he obviouslly still has his singing talent. What I can't figure out is why the quality control is so diminished. How difficult is it to put out decent album art, for example?

There is some hyperbole here in general..."clearly", "all his", "completely".

Let's not be unhinged. Frankly, however, I'm not the fan I once was due to the severe NPD. I know first hand how destructive such people can be, and it makes me like him less. Right or wrong. The shyte music doesn't help. As far as some of his politics, he's often spot on, in my view.

He's as mainstream as it gets at this point in time. Just because you know nerds who never knew anything about anything........doesn't really mean anything.

You should find cooler friends.
Anyone can say anything...and everything is everything. Anyway.

I'm so tired of people badmouthing others in public for personal gain and career standing. It's so self-serving. Perhaps worse, it's lazy and, you might notice that it's usually done at a time when one's "celebrity" is faltering. Obviously, I'm not breaking any new ground here.

Naw man, I agree with your opposition. He’s no doubt a very successful musician who typically gets to do things on his terms but that’s because he’s got a few million devout fans across the world who move mountains to support him.

Mainstream he is not. At one time a band like AFI was all over MTV like Moz’s early solo days, but that was roughly 20 years ago and nobody would dare to call them “mainstream” these days. I actually find more common people (Uber drivers, bar patrons, co-workers) have heard AFI’s “Miss Murder” than they’ve heard a Morrissey song.

I love to talk about my favorite artists with people, and 8/10 times when I bring up Morrissey most commoners have no idea who he is, or it’s the slightest faint idea. Obviously location plays a role, as I’m on the west coast of the United States, but I’m telling you - he’s hardly known at least US wise.
Commoners?! Are you a royal? ;]

Most people I've ever known know who The Smiths and Moz are...but I associate with other music fanatics.

B&S on the other hand...

I think for the Morrissey diehards, they will forever be the loser outcasts who thinks Morrissey 'cares' about them and 'gets' them and they are some part of some 'esoteric' club with their delusions of an 'intellectual outsider dangerous risk taker truth teller gagged by the woke' Morrissey as their leader and they just have no idea how to have fun.

Belle and Sebastian are a lot of fun, their concerts are great, Stuart Murdoch talks to the audience a lot and tells some very politically incorrect jokes, he's a joy, he's having a good time and wants everyone else to as well. He lets people up on the stage to dance, it's just like one big party, and the sad little emos don't get it, they just want to be miserable with Moz.

There is so much hostility for other bands here, like James or New Order who also put on really great and fun shows. Even Johnny Marr, or maybe especially Johnny Marr who has gotten so much better over the years, his live performances just radiate fun and joy.

I think for the Morrissey diehards, they will forever be the loser outcasts who thinks Morrissey 'cares' about them and 'gets' them and they are some part of some 'esoteric' club with their delusions of an 'intellectual outsider dangerous risk taker truth teller gagged by the woke' Morrissey as their leader and they just have no idea how to have fun.

Belle and Sebastian are a lot of fun, their concerts are great, Stuart Murdoch talks to the audience a lot and tells some very politically incorrect jokes, he's a joy, he's having a good time and wants everyone else to as well. He lets people up on the stage to dance, it's just like one big party, and the sad little emos don't get it, they just want to be miserable with Moz.

There is so much hostility for other bands here, like James or New Order who also put on really great and fun shows. Even Johnny Marr, or maybe especially Johnny Marr who has gotten so much better over the years, his live performances just radiate fun and joy.
The only one who is hostile is you, towards Morrissey and his fans.

Most people here enjoy other bands to, especially early B&S, New Order, James and also Johnny Marr. Why all the hate?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom