Indie band Alvvays cites The Smiths as ongoing inspiration (June 18, 2024)

1718906859939.png

Beyond the Pale 2024: Alvvays will cross the Atlantic for their first Irish show in more than a decade. Photograph: Eleanor Petry
Ed Power interviews Molly Rankin of Canadian indie band Alvvays for a profile published in The Irish Times, 18 June 2024.

Excerpt:
There is a question Molly Rankin is asked in every interview, and it has to do with a middle-aged man with tall hair and some strange views. “Every time I talk about this, I feel like I get some people [jumping in]. It’s a very volatile question,” the Canadian musician says as her band, Alvvays, prepare to cross the Atlantic for their first Irish show in more than a decade, at the Beyond the Pale festival.

“I still listen to The Smiths, and I still love them.”

A great many former fans have abandoned The Smiths since Morrissey, the one-time singer of the long-defunct band, began to express bizarre opinions about politics, meat-eaters, the British royals and The Simpsons. But Rankin makes no apologies for steadfastly adoring the songs he wrote with Johnny Marr – an audible influence on Alvvays’ gorgeously bruised and winningly vulnerable alternative pop.

“Two people colliding at a time in their lives when they were bursting with creativity,” is how Rankin describes Morrissey-Marr from her apartment in Toronto. “And, for whatever reason, [it] just working out and then making the albums that they did. I believe in the beauty of collaboration and how fruitful that can be. I hear those songs and no one will take them away from me.”
The Smiths’ career took off in a heartbeat. Things have been more stop-start for Alvvays (pronounced “Always”), a five-piece whose glorious fusion of jangle-pop, dreamy riffs and underdog yearning speaks to the overlapping influence of underground icons such as The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine and Belle and Sebastian...

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...he-smiths-no-one-will-take-them-away-from-me/
and
https://archive.is/DmBzA

Exclaim! piggybacks on The Irish Times article with a blatantly untrue headline before elaborating harmlessly about Morrissey and The Smiths, and including a Youtube link to an Alvvays song, Pressed, which confirms merits claimed:

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/molly-rankin-of-alvvays-on-loving-the-smiths-but-hating-morrissey

Started looking into this band since they were mentioned here (never heard of them before) Archie Marry Me is fabulous and they played Belinda Says at Glastonbury last week which I also like a lot.

Can’t place Belinda right now, I need to look it up!

'A great many former fans have abandoned The Smiths since Morrissey, the one-time singer of the long-defunct band, began to express bizarre opinions about politics, meat-eaters, the British royals and The Simpsons.'

We'll make our own minds up about what constitutes bizarre opinions or otherwise, thank you.

A great many former fans have abandoned The Smiths since Morrissey, the one-time singer of the long-defunct band, began to express bizarre opinions about politics, meat-eaters, the British royals and The Simpsons.
What bizarre opinions did Morrissey have about the Simpsons?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom