Morrissey Central “TREASURE THE DAY” (July 3, 2024)

IMG_9982.jpeg

Morrissey should check out the real world sometimes, it's the opposite. Most divorces are initiated by women because men get married and they think they have a new mom who will do everything for them, while the women still work, take care of the kids, house, etc. I think this is Morrissey's problem too, I don't think he likes women very much and compares them unfavorably to the enmeshed coddling his mother gave him.

Great post.

Katy Perry said that when she and Russell Brand once had lunch with Morrissey, he warned them against marriage in a half-humorous way. Turns out he was probably right to.

I remember reading once that nothing quite prepares you for the loneliness of marriage. You have to find that out for yourself.
Yes... I have feared marriage since my later teenage years. As my 20's went on I wanted less and less to be married because I didn't trust anybody I met. I've been married for only a little over a month now (together for 7 years), and were very happy, we love spending time together and I trust him with all my heart and soul. That fear nags at me a bit, but it holds no weight, he's an amazing man. I do believe in our vows we wrote for each other.. a lovely "death do us part" situation. Whew. 😂

Yes... I have feared marriage since my later teenage years. As my 20's went on I wanted less and less to be married because I didn't trust anybody I met. I've been married for only a little over a month now (together for 7 years), and were very happy, we love spending time together and I trust him with all my heart and soul. That fear nags at me a bit, but it holds no weight, he's an amazing man. I do believe in our vows we wrote for each other.. a lovely "death do us part" situation. Whew. 😂
I hope the fear will stop nagging you.

Great post.

Katy Perry said that when she and Russell Brand once had lunch with Morrissey, he warned them against marriage in a half-humorous way. Turns out he was probably right to.

I remember reading once that nothing quite prepares you for the loneliness of marriage. You have to find that out for yourself.
people who get married more than once must like wedding cake.

Remarkable...I just covered this very song on my substack yesterday: https://tomfpapp.substack.com/p/kick-the-bride-down-the-aisle

I like how you brought up ‘I’m not a man’ from the same album, and how it relates in context with this threads song. But yeah, M simply doesn’t like stereotypes, or people that fulfill those categories and behaviors accepted by society, i.e.,what it means to be a ‘man’ or ‘woman’.
Nor does it seem he likes to be stereotyped or labeled by others, hence, needing to invent for himself the word humasexual.

I hope beyond hope that you both have many years of happiness together :hearteyes:

It's great that you found such a love after years in the dark. I can relate to a lot of Morrissey's early writing about love being a miserable lie, and it sounds like you also felt similarly at one time.

But it's nice to think that it's possible for one to find a love that is natural and real - and that lasts.

Also, I reckon M should have saved the 'Treasure the Day' headline for tomorrow, when the Tories are booted out.

Maybe he's got a better post/title lined up.

Or maybe he won't make any comments on the political landscape at all.

Also, I reckon M should have saved the 'Treasure the Day' headline for tomorrow, when the Tories are booted out.

Maybe he's got a better post/title lined up.

Or maybe he won't make any comments on the political landscape at all.

I bet on that. I think he’s taken the
‘why bother?’ position in regards to voicing his opinions publicly on that subject. I hope I’m not wrong.

I've just seen another echo of Kick the Bride lyrics in his autobiography, on page 76: 'The lonely season was best'. This comment is not directly about marriage, but it does come just after the infamous Bermuda Triangle remark! There are though quite a few anti-marriage comments in the book, so I really think the song reflects his personal views on the matter. It does make me wonder what the married musicians in the band thought of it, not to mention his married nephew!

I hope beyond hope that you both have many years of happiness together :hearteyes:

It's great that you found such a love after years in the dark. I can relate to a lot of Morrissey's early writing about love being a miserable lie, and it sounds like you also felt similarly at one time.

But it's nice to think that it's possible for one to find a love that is natural and real - and that lasts.
Thank you so much! 🌷🌞

Love was just a Miserable Lie, indeed.. the line "You have destroyed my flower-like life" especially speaks to my former self -- screams at it. That song means a lot to me.

It does feel natural and real. It comes so easily. We never ever even try, it just is.

I got the box set when it came out and I have the pink vinyl too. Kick the bride is one of my faves and you're right he has gorgeous vocals on the whole album, especially Mountjoy.
Oboe concerto is my favourite from the album, beautiful end song

This is intriguing. I wonder why this arcane comedic skit of a song is suddenly referenced via a blushing boy reaction video?

Is there a celebrity wedding coming up? Some minor Royals about to tie the gordian knot? Enter a marital Shawshank and put a Ring Of Fire on it, on that third digit, left hand? Single Ladies in da house, whatsup? Is Morrissey a male chauvinist piglet? Etcetera and...yawn...

I remember my first listen to this hilarious song. Our beloved daughter came downstairs and tapped me on my headphones to ask? "Frank Hvam? Casper Christensen? Seinfeld? Larry David? Joe Pasquale?"...When I'd regained my composure and could breathe again I replied: "No, it's Morrissey!- he's doing 'stand-up in song' again!"...she then informed me I was disturbing her revision schedule so could I please listen to something ambient or 'serious'. So I put on a Sylvester playlist.

As a choirboy and/or wedding guest at Holy Family Catholic church in the early 1970s I often witnessed identical and similar sub-plots play out as notorious paedophile priest, Fr James Robinson or GAA hurler Fr Sean Grady (not a paedo), droned through the nuptial vows on a Saturday morning whilst I hummed 'Eleanor Rigby ' and fantasy-plotted to swing a hash-filled thurible on stage one fine day...

This song is cinema verite reportage. When I was young and delusional and imagined becoming a global music superstar would be a worthwhile life, I wrote a similar treatise-exposè but with a far more extreme subtext.

One nuptial ceremony stuck out like a spare prick at a wedding. I looked at the groom, a dissolute rake of a navvy who I'd fcukd senseless many times in Small Heath Park after he'd stumbled, stocious, from The George and Dragon. Then I looked contemptuously at that inept groomer, Fr Robinson, who this groom had tearfully confessed his Apocalypse Of Sin with me to in confession to get a 'clean slate' for his wedding day, resulting in Fr Robinson complaining that I was 'out of control' and 'too scandalous' as I systematically worked through the skin-storm of 5 Pints Bi lads in his 'boxing academy' in the primary school hall...sigh...and so on and do forth...

Really, the fuss about this amusing little ditty was so banal as the sex-negative harridans at The Guardian began shrieking "Mxogyny!" whilst throwing their dilapidated copies of 'Gyn-Ecology' at their Dansettes.

Poor Morrissey. Foisted onto a credulous public as a castrated eunuch of a 'feminist man', he took a fcukin long, long time to realise that he was just a pantomime horse prop in the Cultural Marxist plot to problematise Masculinities.

When he woke up after I threw a bucket 🪣 of skinhead hangover piss on his silly little bonce, he got really fcukin pissed. This classic wind-up of a song is part of his revenge on all those creeps who thought he was their prison bitch, artistically and politically. They subjected him to Maoist 'struggle sessions' in their media to try to make him come to heel but...'I Am Not A Dog On A Chain'...lolzapaloopa!

I wonder if Morrissey was at the AC-DC London Wembley Stadium 🏟 gig? He should cover 'Big Balls' next..you know, as the era of Kier The Fearful's ##PseudLabour replaces the Tory remix of New Labour, it's hard to recall the times when The Left could take a joke or accept that their teenage rebel offspring have the right to listen to whatever the fcuk they want, including incorrigible deplorables like Morrissey and AC-DC, not just The Glasto Woke Playlist in the Waitrose free magazine.

In the mid-late 1980s, as an experiment, I decided to re-write the 74 songs which had been written and recorded by a critically acclaimed, albeit modestly popular, English beat-combo of that period who called themselves 'The Smiths'.

They hailed from Manchester and Salford and were an astonishing radical art collective comprised of a drummer, a singer, a 4 string bass guitarist and a six-string middle-treble guitarist. All four components were of equal talent and importance and without their dynamic synergies they would have been also-rans.

It took me six weeks to complete this project but then...I couldn't stop and ended up with nearly two hundred songs.

Recently I was re-listening to all this Stufff but found the process to be emotionally exhausting. I'm not sure what to do with these archives anymore. They're all on hundreds of Minidiscs, a now-redundant format or on cassettes, which were redundant but are making a comeback like vinyl.

...numerous priests, pledged to secrecy, have literally broke down and sobbed upon hearing these songs and continue to beseech me to release some of them but...I'm not sure...as I think the karmic consequences may be...extreme.

We shall see...

Salam. Shalom. Pax Vobiscum...

'Kick The Bride Down n The Aisle' is an exquisite troll of a song, up there with 'Big Balls'.

I hope this post doesn't upset Nerak, Going Home and that strange, bitter Mod too much...

Treasure the day for today is the day a new Labour dawns over the UK...ahem!

Best wishes

BrummieBoy

'Rappers react to AC-DC's 'Big Balls'

[..skip to 4mins 15 secs]

Songs that hate women and the women who love them: why I’m still a fan of AC/DC​

Music history is littered with lyrics that exclude or degrade women. As a new book collects essays from female fans writing on their favourite problematic artists, one writer explain why she’s reappraising the rock band

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...omen-who-love-them-why-im-still-a-fan-of-acdc

"I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies..."

Last edited:
I bet on that. I think he’s taken the
‘why bother?’ position in regards to voicing his opinions publicly on that subject. I hope I’m not wrong.

Whilst it is probably wise (on balance) for him to remain tight lipped these days, part of me will hope he doesn't leave it all unsaid, somewhere in the wasteland of his head :)

Last edited:
I've just seen another echo of Kick the Bride lyrics in his autobiography, on page 76: 'The lonely season was best'. This comment is not directly about marriage, but it does come just after the infamous Bermuda Triangle remark! There are though quite a few anti-marriage comments in the book, so I really think the song reflects his personal views on the matter. It does make me wonder what the married musicians in the band thought of it, not to mention his married nephew!

Ah yes, the lonely season, which is of course noted in the song.

So nothing can prepare you for the loneliness of marriage, but Morrissey does at least try to bring the prospect to our attention.

As you say, personal views and I imagine band and family members respect those (and maybe even realise he wasn't exactly misguided, through their own lived experiences)

I really think the song reflects his personal views on the matter. It does make me wonder what the married musicians in the band thought of it, not to mention his married nephew!
In a letter, he referred to the rest of the Smiths as his children. He was a significant few years older.

There's a scene in England Is Mine where his father tells him, aged about 12, to mind his mother, before leaving the family.

When he lost the court case, the possibility of his sister becoming homeless was mentioned, and of his mother being negatively impacted. I'm sure he covered this himself in Autobiography and elsewhere. He shouldered more responsibility for family than most. Not only was he the Mozfather but the Mozmother at times too. It's understandable if he occasionally feels like appealing for support to the saint in a stained glass window.

His celebrity has presumably compensated, but he's had his share of hardship and sadness. And the vicious persecution continues, and must hurt, while ordinary decent barbarians in suits run amok and make killings.

Still, in this and other songs, he may have had none of that in mind, but by design intended to provoke responses, because his main identity is as artist.

"As carefully constructed codes splatter out from the body of the song into the careful composition that is “Morrissey”, a rich textual reading is invited. Visual representations of the performing body feature prominently here, from decoding album covers to reading the potential provenance of gestures in Morrissey’s self-conscious poses , where the play with authenticity is at its sharpest. The lexicon from which Morrissey draws is rich in allusion and allegory. Eclectically mining the sounds and styles of cultural icons, musicians, poets, writers, Morrissey comes across as someone keen to pay tribute, to eulogize, and as a savvy bricoleur. The strategy sometimes involves ventriloquism and dialogism invoking those with a literary sensibility, for example, that may speak for and through him, and him through them . The outcome is a play, a deferral, a subversion and an elusiveness that makes it impossible to know the “real” Morrissey, including the gendered Morrissey, resulting in considerable ambiguity in his, literally, (re)presentations of them as him and vice versa."
- https://www.researchgate.net/public...de_you_cry_and_the_songs_that_saved_your_life

Ah yes, the lonely season, which is of course noted in the song.

So nothing can prepare you for the loneliness of marriage, but Morrissey does at least try to bring the prospect to our attention.

As you say, personal views and I imagine band and family members respect those (and maybe even realise he wasn't exactly misguided, through their own lived experiences)
True. Another line that brings a wry smile is 'write down every word I say': so bossy! and yet that's exactly what we fans here do, even if we don't always follow his advice.

Back
Top Bottom