Total Guitar: Carmen Vandenberg interview - Morrissey album mention (September, 2024 issue)

1725052894215.jpg
1725052894650.jpg
1725052894987.jpg
1725052895408.jpg
1725052895677.jpg
1725052895983.jpg
1725052896277.jpg
1725052896711.jpg
1725052897034.jpg

Carmen mentioning some new information?
Joe Chiccarelli at the helm?

The ’board she had with her for the interview was set up for her work with Morrissey, with whom she is recording an album.
“With Morrissey, I’m using a CV30 and a Supro. I used a lot of Supro on the Bones UK record.

There is also that solo album in progress: “Coming out in a few years, or whenever I’m ready.” And while working with Morrissey, she’s filling the giant shoes of not only Johnny Marr but also Morrissey alumni Jesse Tobias and Alain Whyte – while maintaining the same philosophy that propels Soft.
As she says of her performance on a new Morrissey song: “There’s a solo with this bum note. I played it over and over to make people believe that I did it on purpose. But I didn’t go and change it. I don’t want to change mistakes
anymore. That humanity – I miss it on records. So I want to keep it in there. I’m learning a lot, doing a record with Morrissey and Joe Chiccarelli, who’s an incredible producer. Again, just plenty of time to learn a bunch of things that I didn’t know before. Even just the way he writes in his melodies.”

Regards,
FWD.

Continued below:

View attachment 109959View attachment 109960View attachment 109961View attachment 109962View attachment 109963View attachment 109964View attachment 109965View attachment 109966View attachment 109967

Carmen mentioning some new information?
Joe Chiccarelli at the helm?

The ’board she had with her for the interview was set up for her work with Morrissey, with whom she is recording an album.
“With Morrissey, I’m using a CV30 and a Supro. I used a lot of Supro on the Bones UK record.

There is also that solo album in progress: “Coming out in a few years, or whenever I’m ready.” And while working with Morrissey, she’s filling the giant shoes of not only Johnny Marr but also Morrissey alumni Jesse Tobias and Alain Whyte – while maintaining the same philosophy that propels Soft.
As she says of her performance on a new Morrissey song: “There’s a solo with this bum note. I played it over and over to make people believe that I did it on purpose. But I didn’t go and change it. I don’t want to change mistakes
anymore. That humanity – I miss it on records. So I want to keep it in there. I’m learning a lot, doing a record with Morrissey and Joe Chiccarelli, who’s an incredible producer. Again, just plenty of time to learn a bunch of things that I didn’t know before. Even just the way he writes in his melodies.”

Regards,
FWD.

Continued below:
So is jesse not in the band anymore? Fingers crossed.

:guitar:😌

1725828398761.gif

:p

Why fingers crossed? He's written some great songs for M, is loyal, reliable and is a great guitarist?
Serious question - have you ever seen Jesse play? Because for 20 years now, this man has been murdering solo and Smiths classics and if you've seen M live, you must have seen that. He is not a great guitarist by any measure, he even makes simplified, stripped back versions of songs look painfully difficult. I've been to gigs where he was making such a mess of songs like Playboys that you could hear the front row laughing. Until 'Dog' at least, he was a limited songwriter as well.

He is a back-stabber with no class or dignity, ranting online, slagging off superior songwriters like Alain and Johnny, wading into Morrissey's arguments. And that's just what we can see. If the 'insiders' are to be believed, he is difficult to work with and causes conflict with other musicians behind the scenes as well.

He is loyal to the Boss, but that's all, and he gets paid to be so. Unlike Carmen and Brendan and others that are getting undeserved shit for being session musicians, he'd have next to no options if the Mozzer ship sank. Which is why he's clinging on like a f-ing barnacle, while we've lost Boz, Alain, Gustavo and so many others.

Last edited:
Serious question - have you ever seen Jesse play? Because for 20 years now, this man has been murdering solo and Smiths classics and if you've seen M live, you must have seen that. He is not a great guitarist by any measure, he even makes simplified, stripped back versions of songs look painfully difficult. I've been to gigs where he was making such a mess of songs like Playboys that you could hear the front row laughing. Until 'Dog' at least, he was a limited songwriter as well.

He is a back-stabber with no class or dignity, ranting online, slagging off superior songwriters like Alain and Johnny, wading into Morrissey's arguments. And that's just what we can see. If the 'insiders' are to be believed, he is difficult to work with and causes conflict with other musicians behind the scenes as well.

He is loyal to the Boss, but that's all, and he gets paid to be so. Unlike Carmen and Brendan and others that are getting undeserved shit for being session musicians, he'd have next to no options if the Mozzer ship sank. Which is why he's clinging on like f-ing barnacle, while we've lost Boz, Alain, Gustavo and so many others.
That’s a bit harsh and one-sided.

He also played with RHCP and with Alanis Morisette during her huge Jagged Little Pill Tour.

Plus he wrote Morrissey’s joint biggest hit (YHKM) and some other great songs.

He’s not in Alain or Boz’s league, for sure, but he has made a solid contribution to Moz’ discography. I have met him only once, with Boz, and they were both very friendly, but I spoke to him too briefly to be able to judge his character.

Just a guess but maybe loyalty is far more important to Morrissey than competence? Seriously, I don't think he's ever recovered from Johnny leaving him; and 'him' is the all-important word here, not so much 'the Smiths'.

Just a guess but maybe loyalty is far more important to Morrissey than competence? Seriously, I don't think he's ever recovered from Johnny leaving him; and 'him' is the all-important word here, not so much 'the Smiths'.
When Alain came back, that was so unexpected and I for one was thrilled, especially because he left the first time under a bit of a cloud. A great songwriter, popular with fans, warm. Not willing to be pushed around, and that's rare in the Mozzerverse.

So for Boz to get no 'goodbye' and the Alain thing to fall to pieces within a year, and for Alain to say specifically that it wasn't due to Moz... the previous poster is fair to say that I'm harsh, I can't help it. I miss all the good people we've lost and I miss the days before Moz' career was one disaster after another, when he had honest friends and not just a bunch of folk saying "yes, sire" and enjoying the chaos.

It couldn't be clearer, now, that Moz couldn't care who or what is in the backing band anymore as long as he can tour, and has just passed it all over as Jesse's job to sort out. In that respect, I almost sympathise with him. But not quite.

Last edited:
When Alain came back, that was so unexpected and I for one was thrilled, especially because he left the first time under a bit of a cloud. A great songwriter, popular with fans, warm. Not willing to be pushed around, and that's rare in the Mozzerverse.

So for Boz to get no 'goodbye' and the Alain thing to fall to pieces within a year, and for Alain to say specifically that it wasn't due to Moz... the previous poster is fair to say that I'm harsh, I can't help it. I miss all the good people we've lost and I miss the days before Moz' career was one disaster after another, when he had honest friends and not just a bunch of folk saying "yes, sire" and enjoying the chaos.

It couldn't be clearer, now, that Moz couldn't care who or what is in the backing band anymore as long as he can tour, and has just passed it all over as Jesse's job to sort out. In that respect, I almost sympathise with him. But not quite.

‘anymore’ ? Well, I don’t think M ever really cared about the backup band, for example when he hired ‘the Lads’ for the KUncle tour, I think it was simply because they looked good, lol! They had such a bad reputation, that Bowie wasn’t sure about having M open for him even in 95!

I thought they peaked in ‘92, Morrissey’s best band, but by other musicians in general, they’re not even rated.

People getting nostalgic about certain members really has little to do with their playing skills. And overall it says plenty about the importance M puts on loyalty, dependability.

‘anymore’ ? Well, I don’t think M ever really cared about the backup band, for example when he hired ‘the Lads’ for the KUncle tour, I think it was simply because they looked good, lol! They had such a bad reputation, that Bowie wasn’t sure about having M open for him even in 95!

I thought they peaked in ‘92, Morrissey’s best band, but by other musicians in general, they’re not even rated.

People getting nostalgic about certain members really has little to do with their playing skills. And overall it says plenty about the importance M puts on loyalty, dependability.
That's a fair point. Although I'd say that Boz and Alain were loyal, to stay all those years. They improved, they contributed, they stayed during long periods without a label and they got no 'goodbye', just "Next!". And in the case of Alain, unjustly mocked in Autobio for stupid reasons. That makes no sense to me and all I can say is that one day, I hope that sausage fingers is dealt with in a similar fashion.

He is loyal to the Boss, but that's all, and he gets paid to be so. Unlike Carmen and Brendan and others that are getting undeserved shit for being session musicians, he'd have next to no options if the Mozzer ship sank. Which is why he's clinging on like a f-ing barnacle, while we've lost Boz, Alain, Gustavo and so many others.
So do you like him?

I thought the band sounded really powerful through 2014 till 2020, that was a great line up. Some of the footage SER posted from 2015, 16 shows them absolutely at their peak with such intensity. Stuff like Suedehead and How Soon Is Now were intense and absolutely killer. I loved that line up.

That's a fair point. Although I'd say that Boz and Alain were loyal, to stay all those years. They improved, they contributed, they stayed during long periods without a label and they got no 'goodbye', just "Next!". And in the case of Alain, unjustly mocked in Autobio for stupid reasons. That makes no sense to me and all I can say is that one day, I hope that sausage fingers is dealt with in a similar fashion.

don’t think M would care for sausage anything. He does like Jesse’s playing style, he’s explained it in that interview, that I’m sure everyone here is familiar with. Example, Charming Man got quite an overhaul, it was obviously M’s decision to do so.

All these complaints about M, what he does or doesn’t do, it has nothing to do with us.

don’t think M would care for sausage anything. He does like Jesse’s playing style, he’s explained it in that interview, that I’m sure everyone here is familiar with. Example, Charming Man got quite an overhaul, it was obviously M’s decision to do so.

All these complaints about M, what he does or doesn’t do, it has nothing to do with us.
Nothing about his life, band or career has anything to do with us, really... we are just the audience, but here we are. On a discussion forum that he hates. You can't invite and participate in discussion, and at the same time try to shut down critical opinions.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom