Infowars / Paul Joseph Watson "Morrissey: Diversity is Conformity" (November 30, 2022)

Still trying to make Anna Maria happen? 🙄

I'm not sure what this means. Yes, I still like Anne Marie Waters. That hasn't changed, though I like her a lot less now. She doesn't have the same luster she once did. I think the last I heard of her she was palling around with Katie Hopkins. Christ almighty. Waters lurched right and just kept going. She's cursed with monomania. Islam is bad, but so is keeping the company of nasty, lesbian-mocking, anti-vegan ghouls (of which Hopkins is one). Both Waters and Morrissey have essentially the same problem here.

Last edited:
To be honest I think it's probably similar to Moz's thoughts on sexuality. He just doesn't care. He doesn't care what people think he is. He doesn't care if people think he's left wing or right wing. He does care if people think he's racist. But that's different - that accusation clearly goes against something deep in his sense of morality, and quite rightly. But whether people think he's left wing or right wing? He clearly just doesn't care - and almost certainly gets a chuckle out of all the pearl-clutching and hysteria.
I think he cares and feels the barbs. The sustained smear campaign he's been subjected to virtually always conflates accusations of racism with sexual disparagements. He just likes chatting to the world, which then keeps disintegrating into thousands of pieces, many of which want to chat right back at him, including some more or less keen to weigh in with contrasting views.

It's really fascinating, how the people who don't want to see any flirtation with the right in Morrissey's 17/18 pronouncements, now completely fail to mention, that he makes the same statement he made in the 2017 Spiegel interview. He just replaces "difficult" words like "immigrants and rapists" with "diversity." Even he learns something from the mistakes he made. Why are we Europeans losing our cultural identity? Because of immigrants or because of diversity? Or do both belong together in his mind?
Was he talking about cultural identity in the recent interview or the music industry? My assumption was he was talking about the industry, and that new artists who are signed under the veil of 'diversity' are in actuality signed because they are conformist and easy to control.

Morrissey has been railing against the manufactured popstar for aeons.

I think he cares and feels the barbs. The sustained smear campaign he's been subjected to virtually always conflates accusations of racism with sexual disparagements. He just likes chatting to the world, which then keeps disintegrating into thousands of pieces, many of which want to chat right back at him, including some more or less keen to weigh in with contrasting views.

Thanks for reminding me of that film! Whilst watching The Blue Aeroplanes. Throwback night. Again.

I'm not sure what this means. Yes, I still like Anne Marie Waters. That hasn't changed, though I like her a lot less now. She doesn't have the same luster she once did. I think the last I heard of her she was palling around with Katie Hopkins. Christ almighty. Waters lurched right and just kept going. She's cursed with monomania. Islam is bad, but so is keeping the company of nasty, lesbian-mocking, anti-vegan ghouls (of which Hopkins is one). Both Waters and Morrissey have essentially the same problem here.

They're not the same. I do feel sad for Anne Marie but she tipped over into bigotry - he just gets a bit muddled & then gets endlessly denounced.

They're not the same. I do feel sad for Anne Marie but she tipped over into bigotry - he just gets a bit muddled & then gets endlessly denounced.
You always refer to her as Anne Marie. Is this some kind of stylistic thing? Do you call Trump ‘Donald’, Thatcher ‘Margaret’, Biden ‘Joe’, Putin ‘Vladimir’ et cetera et cetera et cetera?

This will get moved to off-topic (of course it will!) but it is a genuine question - albeit a rare one from me.

Remember when Island/Mercury wanted him to do promotion and he told them to ‘f*** off’? Well, now the record company don’t want him involved.

When you/me understand the horror/joy of this, we begin to understand Morrissey. Good luck.

Anyway, they made the right call on the first ‘single’ release.

Nerak, it might be you who is either (1) a bit muddled or (2) a post-structural genius. Which is it?

You always refer to her as Anne Marie. Is this some kind of stylistic thing? Do you call Trump ‘Donald’, Thatcher ‘Margaret’, Biden ‘Joe’, Putin ‘Vladimir’ et cetera et cetera et cetera?

This will get moved to off-topic (of course it will!) but it is a genuine question - albeit a rare one from me.

I'm used to using first names - but it depends which is the most distinctive & how often I've heard the name used.

Nerak, it might be you who is either (1) a bit muddled or (2) a post-structural genius. Which is it?

Neither. If you read/listen to him in context he is not obsessed with immigrants diluting England or Europe.

A book he read 4 years ago, a party he dropped 3 years ago, and an interview from 5 years ago that upset him so much he's never spoken to a mainstream journalist since does not build a strong case.

Was he talking about cultural identity in the recent interview or the music industry? My assumption was he was talking about the industry, and that new artists who are signed under the veil of 'diversity' are in actuality signed because they are conformist and easy to control.

Morrissey has been railing against the manufactured popstar for aeons.
I'd say he redirects the theme of diversity, faceless artists and record labels to the theme of preserving cultural identities of Germany and Italy, for example.

Neither. If you read/listen to him in context he is not obsessed with immigrants diluting England or Europe.

A book he read 4 years ago, a party he dropped 3 years ago, and an interview from 5 years ago that upset him so much he's never spoken to a mainstream journalist since does not build a strong case.
According to the census this week, 3 of the largest cities in England - London, Birmingham, and Manchester - now have populations where white British / Irish are the minority. And no doubt this trend will continue. That's the most dramatic demographic change since the settlement of the Anglo-Saxons. And it has barely been on the news. A diversity of opinion on the pros and cons of this historic social change (that has taken place in just a few decades) is clearly not welcome. As someone who grew up in Manchester, do you think Morrissey thinks that degree of social change in the city of his birth is a good thing or a bad thing? And is it 'racist' to have an opinion on it?
As I watched his video on Morrissey, YouTube's algorithm has thrown up PJW's latest video on 'Diversity'. It is clearly his word of the week. He does seem to be a rather prolific maker of videos. And he's flogging knives again. Morrissey is quoted towards the end. If Morrissey doesn't like being associated with the views in this video, I imagine he is free to issue Mr Watson a 'cease and desist' notice. My guess is though Morrissey probably agrees with much of the sentiment of this video, although what he might make of the whiny voice is anyone's guess.

According to the census this week, 3 of the largest cities in England - London, Birmingham, and Manchester - now have populations where white British / Irish are the minority. And no doubt this trend will continue. That's the most dramatic demographic change since the settlement of the Anglo-Saxons. And it has barely been on the news. A diversity of opinion on the pros and cons of this historic social change (that has taken place in just a few decades) is clearly not welcome. As someone who grew up in Manchester, do you think Morrissey thinks that degree of social change in the city of his birth is a good thing or a bad thing? And is it 'racist' to have an opinion on it?
As I watched his video on Morrissey, YouTube's algorithm has thrown up PJW's latest video on 'Diversity'. It is clearly his word of the week. He does seem to be a rather prolific maker of videos. And he's flogging knives again. Morrissey is quoted towards the end. If Morrissey doesn't like being associated with the views in this video, I imagine he is free to issue Mr Watson a 'cease and desist' notice. My guess is though Morrissey probably agrees with much of the sentiment of this video, although what he might make of the whiny voice is anyone's guess.

My mother still lives [in Manchester], I can’t recognize the town. Everything has been restored. It’s an incredible town, where people are stylish, sexy. When I was younger, it was a depressive, dark town...

(Morrissey, Les Inrockuptibles, 19 May 2004, translation by Guillaume Deleurence)

I'd say he redirects the theme of diversity, faceless artists and record labels to the theme of preserving cultural identities of Germany and Italy, for example.
You could take it that way but I really didn’t.

Unfortunately, I have stumbled on an article that throws into sharp relief why posting links to PJW may be ill-advised. That’s a euphemism - think before you link!

Morrissey says he reads when he is depressed. Let’s hope he chooses reading over a YouTube rabbit hole.

There’s a simpler timeline where Central did not unleash so much controversy - if only it could be dispensed with. As far as I can tell, its appeal resides in the idea that it is a media organ designed to help Morrissey communicate without the distortions of an unsympathetic media. That’s a nice idea, but Central is hardly a transparent operation. Who exactly is in charge?

On the subject of private racism and invective: whatever arguments abound regarding culture, identity and immigration these arguments immediately combust if the people that espouse them engage in overt racism. Call me woke, anti-free speech or guilty of an ad hominem attack - I just think there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed when it comes to standards in public discourse and proper political debate. Thankfully, I have no reason to believe that Morrissey participated in anything of the sort.

My humble plea is that Central - if it continues to exist - should show better care in respecting these boundaries and can even take comfort in a simple fact: ‘you don’t have to post everything that praises Morrissey’.

This forum may seem critical, but there is so much passion and praise for Morrissey as a HISTORIC artist, and that our fears and regrets regarding some of these fellow travellers are a product of the faith (however misguided) that we understand Morrissey better than he understands these hard right proxies.

My only mistake is I’m hoping.

Unfortunately, I have stumbled on an article that throws into sharp relief why posting links to PJW may be ill-advised. That’s a euphemism - think before you link!

Morrissey says he reads when he is depressed. Let’s hope he chooses reading over a YouTube rabbit hole.

There’s a simpler timeline where Central did not unleash so much controversy - if only it could be dispensed with. As far as I can tell, its appeal resides in the idea that it is a media organ designed to help Morrissey communicate without the distortions of an unsympathetic media. That’s a nice idea, but Central is hardly a transparent operation. Who exactly is in charge?

On the subject of private racism and invective: whatever arguments abound regarding culture, identity and immigration these arguments immediately combust if the people that espouse them engage in overt racism. Call me woke, anti-free speech or guilty of an ad hominem attack - I just think there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed when it comes to standards in public discourse and proper political debate. Thankfully, I have no reason to believe that Morrissey participated in anything of the sort.

My humble plea is that Central - if it continues to exist - should show better care in respecting these boundaries and can even take comfort in a simple fact: ‘you don’t have to post everything that praises Morrissey’.

This forum may seem critical, but there is so much passion and praise for Morrissey as a HISTORIC artist, and that our fears and regrets regarding some of these fellow travellers are a product of the faith (however misguided) that we understand Morrissey better than he understands these hard right proxies.

My only mistake is I’m hoping.

It's been posted before & it's been posted to Sam & so far he doesn't seem to agree that people will associate Morrissey with PJW... hopefully someone gets him to see the light.

He is consistent - he only responds to the mainstream media. It's like he doesn't understand that things like YouTube have an impact.
It's ridiculous to say Morrissey doesn't understand youtube has an impact, he understands social media and he just did an interview posted to youtube, ffs. You are always infantalizing him.

Whatever the point Morrissey is trying to make about art or culture, he does himself no favours by tethering his message to opportunistic reactionaries. How can he not be tainted by association? The link on Central completes this circle of implication.

At this stage, record deals should probably be conditional on reigning in Central. This needless sabotage will otherwise amount to the self-perpetuating loss of credibility.

Morrissey tells us that Bonfire is a beautiful work, so why spoil its release by cosying up to these hate merchants? Seemingly starved of mainstream approval, Morrissey now has to surround himself with contrarian advocates, who threaten to deprive his art of any remaining nuance and light.

As people have already pointed, Watson is anti Vegan and soft on Trump. Does Morrissey even understand these ideological differences?
Morrissey is unbelievably ignorant about political matters, which is why he should not discuss them, esp with his air of authority, as he does. He knows just enough to make himself sound stupid.

Back
Top Bottom