Rebels Without Applause released as a single track - initially on some region's YT, now to buy & stream (November 24, 2022)

UPDATE (Nov. 25):

This Charming Bowie posted the story from official_morrissey_central / Instagram:

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify,
courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt. This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Also now on Morrissey Central. Link posted by Famous when dead.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
If the whole album is going to sound like this then I would prefer to just have the live versions; at least they showcase his vocals. This is a step in the wrong direction.

I find it very difficult to believe that he gave the go ahead for this to be released in the state it's currently in.

Why would we want a new Morrissey song where his voice doesn't even sound like him? The one thing we all love, the one thing we all agree is sounding stronger than ever as the years go by, tampered with to the point of making the song unlistenable.

I continue to hope for an imminent withdrawal and an explanation about how this 'mistake' was allowed to happen. I know I'm dreaming btw...

I want Morrissey to be great as much as anybody, I want the new album to be brilliant.
I thoroughly enjoyed the UK tour and the live renditions we've all heard sounded promising on the whole.

But THIS? Well this is awful and it makes me sad.

Why would we want a new Morrissey song where his voice doesn't even sound like him? The one thing we all love, the one thing we all agree is sounding stronger than ever as the years go by, tampered with to the point of making the song unlistenable.

I continue to hope for an imminent withdrawal and an explanation about how this 'mistake' was allowed to happen. I know I'm dreaming btw...

I want Morrissey to be great as much as anybody, I want the new album to be brilliant.
I thoroughly enjoyed the UK tour and the live renditions we've all heard sounded promising on the whole.

But THIS? Well this is awful and it makes me sad.

I couldn't agree with you more. Very sad.

It's the one time I've wished I wasn't an audiophile/headphone enthusiast because I can hear every damn thing.

It's the one time I've wished I wasn't an audiophile/headphone enthusiast because I can hear every damn thing.
Oddly, with headphones I thought it was much easier on the ears. The mix is pretty spacious, and that bass is just sexy (imo the one redeeming quality of this)

I actually don't mind the song at all. I've been mostly avoiding listening to the new songs in their live form so this is pretty new to me. One weird thing though is that warble/wobble on his voice at 02:40 where he sings "Generation X..." is absolutely bizarre. It sounds like back in the day when you knocked your CD walkman. I don't really care about the art work as this clearly will not get a physical release.

Maybe the vocal effects were done intentionally, as some sort of odd and damning stylistic choice

Stripped of all the warmth and charm of the live version. Given how good his voice has been at the recent shows, for a producer to mangle it so badly is criminal. As others have said, it sounds like a demo.

Oddly, with headphones I thought it was much easier on the ears. The mix is pretty spacious, and that bass is just sexy (imo the one redeeming quality of this)

I haven't actually listened to it any other way - only headphones. Yeh, it's his voice and the guitars that seem to be the problem.

The more I think about it just randomly being released the more I am wondering wth is going on. Normally there is at least the label or artist mentioning it before the actual date of release but we have heard zilch.

If the whole album is going to sound like this then I would prefer to just have the live versions; at least they showcase his vocals. This is a step in the wrong direction.

I find it very difficult to believe that he gave the go ahead for this to be released in the state it's currently in.
You haven't heard the whole album. Patience grasshopper.

The more I think about it just randomly being released the more I am wondering wth is going on. Normally there is at least the label or artist mentioning it before the actual date of release but we have heard zilch.
I think we’re all thinking the same thing. It all seems very unofficial, and more akin to a bootleg or a leak than a release from a major label

Not going to lie, this has me worried for the rest of the album now.

He has it all - decent tracks and vocals that are arguably the best of his entire career, and yet here we are with hugely sup-par production which takes away from his natural talent.

Enjoyable

You haven't heard the whole album. Patience grasshopper.

True. I just can't help but think if all the tracks are produced by the same person then they probably have a "style". I will try and be patient! It's a virtue you must learn to stay sane here. 😆

Can’t help but point out how quantized and stiff it all sounds. Instruments sounding like they’ve been rigidly programmed to a grid. The music production nerd in me is having a field day lmao

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom