Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

Yeah, but being honest, it's quite hard to feel sympathy for Jesse, don't you find?

I think this kind of humiliation is a fitting punishment, really. Every job has a down side...

Your math is completely off my dude! It's ALREADY an average, we don't know the original scores. What are they teaching in school these days?

Morrissey's rubbish is about as esoteric and complicated as a f***ing Pat Boone Christmas album. The only two places it's suited to are the frozen food aisle and a descending elevator. Coincidentally, the only two places anyone will ever hear ANY of it.

BTW, kiddo - Your mom just shouted down from upstairs. You forgot to take out the trash. Also, your boss at the basket-weaving factory called. He needs you to come in on Saturday. ...and your pizza pockets are ready.

chicka chicka BOOM!!:guitar: There you go, a :frogface: song to make you happy.

Now hurry up and put on your long britches, the COMET:drama:
is coming.:lbf:

The fing Comet:lbf:

Moz wont be seen onstage with someone wearing a :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:. not happening, peeps. Get it thru your heads.
The neck tat is a second XXX.:oldwoman:

DramaJ has nothing going
while Moz has a huge USA/SOUTH AMERICA TOUR HAPPENING:hand:

You probably don't realize that Johnny is currently touring North America and then on to UK and Europe - you know, that area where Moz canceled all his concerts.

You probably don't realize that Johnny is currently touring North America and then on to UK and Europe - you know, that area where Moz canceled all his concerts.

Nobody cares or knows about DramaJs tiny venue tour.:crazy:
He could tour the world in a day and nobody would be the smarter for it.:rolleyes:

4 peeps at this one show 6 at the other show etc.:straightface:

I'm sometimes relieved when he's arseholesque, otherwise he's unbearably vulnerable. And I do believe he's only an arse to those who deserve it. .
So, did you think his Paris For Profit rant ('any other artist would be number 1 with this song right now') after the Bataclan atrocity was deserved? Or the very public vilification of the Rome police officer, who dared to ask for his papers after he drove the wrong way up a one-way street? Or the arbitrary banning of (low-paid) Ally Pally staff from wearing leather shoes or belts while working at his gig? Or his statement directly after the Manchester Arena bombing, which he somehow managed to make all about himself and then made distasteful anti-muslim comments? You may be right about the vulnerability - at times he looks to me like he's unravelling. But I don't think that's an excuse for any of it.

How do you mean?
His ham-fisted, clunking power chords and stumbling solos have ruined just about every Smiths cover. Plus I believe his lack of skill and creativity have been a major factor in the slide in quality of Morrissey's work since 2005. This is of course just my opinion, but I think you'll find many people agree with me.

His ham-fisted, clunking power chords and stumbling solos have ruined just about every Smiths cover. Plus I believe his lack of skill and creativity have been a major factor in the slide in quality of Morrissey's work since 2005. This is of course just my opinion, but I think you'll find many people agree with me.
I think there is something in this. But I think also he has the idea that as long as he has some backing music he can sing as he chooses. He is only the vocals. I do find the Tobias situation intriguing.

Thats the site troll don't forget, the prick adds no value to any conversation.

So, did you think his Paris For Profit rant ('any other artist would be number 1 with this song right now') after the Bataclan atrocity was deserved? Or the very public vilification of the Rome police officer, who dared to ask for his papers after he drove the wrong way up a one-way street? Or the arbitrary banning of (low-paid) Ally Pally staff from wearing leather shoes or belts while working at his gig? Or his statement directly after the Manchester Arena bombing, which he somehow managed to make all about himself and then made distasteful anti-muslim comments? You may be right about the vulnerability - at times he looks to me like he's unravelling. But I don't think that's an excuse for any of it.

All of these things are interpretations of events and even interpretations of what he's saying.. If you look at all of it through the lens of his writing along the years, his intentions are Christal clear.. I would expect wrong interpretations from people who don't know his life's work, but not from people who do. Is this a fan site?

I, for one, totally disagree.. I find his playing very deep and touching, piercing. He has a strong presence, and he's curious and stylish, and melancholy. There's a great connection between MOZ and him, and it's felt.

All of these things are interpretations of events and even interpretations of what he's saying.. If you look at all of it through the lens of his writing along the years, his intentions are Christal clear.. I would expect wrong interpretations from people who don't know his life's work, but not from people who do. Is this a fan site?
Because you don't agree with me, my interpretation is 'wrong'? It is indeed a fan site. I am a fan, but not a cult member. I am allowed to like him and still think he's an arse at times. Some of those incidents might, I accept, be open to some interpretation, but the Bataclan one had incontrovertible evidence in the form of his own emails and was totally, embarrassingly, inexcusable.

I, for one, totally disagree.. I find his playing very deep and touching, piercing. He has a strong presence, and he's curious and stylish, and melancholy. There's a great connection between MOZ and him, and it's felt.
Well, it's good to know someone's getting something out of it.

I think there is something in this. But I think also he has the idea that as long as he has some backing music he can sing as he chooses. He is only the vocals. I do find the Tobias situation intriguing.
It is indeed. 'Why?' is the question mostly I find myself asking.

Exactly. I think they keep rubbing salt in each's other wounds, as it were.

I get the impression - this is pure conjecture of course - but I get a sense from what I've absorbed over the years, that Morrissey and Marr have never sat together and properly discussed / apologised for / argued out the reasons for the end of The Smiths. It's the elephant in the room - Johnny's letters, reproduced in Autobiog, hint at never having explained fully. When they have reconciled, it's always described as long drives and reminiscing, a friendly chat in the pub, but Let's Not Talk About The Split Though. And then long, long silences. It's like there is a festering hurt and resentment between them that keeps rearing its head, and keeps them at a distance. Talk about it M & M, lance the wound, life is short. :guitar:

I totally agree with you - I think the whole situation was never discussed between the two of them in the way of guys not being open with each other in an uncomfortable, emotional predicament. Even when the result was obviously catastrophic, they would stubbornly not open up to each other. This is why the Smiths breakup was so frustrating, unsatisfying and mysterious.

It is indeed. 'Why?' is the question mostly I find myself asking.
I guess if we're looking at it from a very basic standpoint, Morrissey is a singer, he provides the music and that will do. We all know how he's lazy when it comes to engratiating himself with people. It might just be that he doesn't have the time or energy to be looking for new collaborations and he feels he has enough talent to sing his vocals to whoever will provide him with the music. It might even be a bit of a challenge for him to try to make good songs from limited music. He always liked quirky musicians like Sparks and Patti Smith. He could have gone on with the luscious chords of the Smiths but he's always been a bit quirky. He much preferred the rawness of the Hatful of Hollow version of What Difference Does It Make to the released single which he secretly regretted.

I guess if we're looking at it from a very basic standpoint, Morrissey is a singer, he provides the music and that will do. We all know how he's lazy when it comes to engratiating himself with people. It might just be that he doesn't have the time or energy to be looking for new collaborations and he feels he has enough talent to sing his vocals to whoever will provide him with the music. It might even be a bit of a challenge for him to try to make good songs from limited music. He always liked quirky musicians like Sparks and Patti Smith. He could have gone on with the luscious chords of the Smiths but he's always been a bit quirky. He much preferred the rawness of the Hatful of Hollow version of What Difference Does It Make to the released single which he secretly regretted.
Interesting points, but I can't help feeling that there's something more to it. I do think there's some kind of sexual chemistry/tension there. In the Rome interview (on YouTube) where he 'presents' Jesse, he is practically dribbling over him. Plus, Jesse's an undeniable arselicker (in the non-sexual sense) which is always going to appeal to Moz. You're right, though, he is contrary. I sometimes wonder if he keeps him on just to spite all the people on Solo who bitch about him :lbf: It wouldn't surprise me.

Interesting points, but I can't help feeling that there's something more to it. I do think there's some kind of sexual chemistry/tension there. In the Rome interview (on YouTube) where he 'presents' Jesse, he is practically dribbling over him. Plus, Jesse's an undeniable arselicker (in the non-sexual sense) which is always going to appeal to Moz. You're right, though, he is contrary. I sometimes wonder if he keeps him on just to spite all the people on Solo who bitch about him :lbf: It wouldn't surprise me.
In all honesty, I would like to see him try a new lead guitarist, and I do think Jesse has a certain hold on him. Let's just hope he has hidden depths. He did quite a good job of Chain Gang on BBC6 though he fluffed it a bit, and I did like The Youngest Was The Most Loved.

Back
Top Bottom