Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

o_O

DramaJ is passe FFS.

He should start a group with the two other Lawnmowers:rock: Play outdoor park rotundas in the UK.:lbf:
(do it Mini Vanilli style because the two LMWs would collapse after a two minute Louie Louie)

I think that Morrissey's reaction to this reunion conversation in 2008 told Johnny all he needed to know - that nothing's changed. Moz was still mercurial, impulsive, unpredictable and seemingly even more so now.

Yes, lucky MOZ freed himself from many earthly things... :) I envy him. There are more than enough compromising agreeable people in the world.. They usually don't produce sublime art.

Yes, lucky MOZ freed himself from many earthly things... :) I envy him. There are more than enough compromising agreeable people in the world.. They usually don't produce sublime art.
I don't subscribe to the view that one excuses the other. I'm sure there are plenty of people producing sublime art in the world who aren't contrary, disagreeable arseholes.

I don't subscribe to the view that one excuses the other. I'm sure there are plenty of people producing sublime art in the world who aren't contrary, disagreeable arseholes.
I don't think it's necessary for producing sublime art, but it's the case with Morrissey, I believe. But I don't think he's an arsehole at all.. do you?

I don't think it's necessary for producing sublime art, but it's the case with Morrissey, I believe. But I don't think he's an arsehole at all.. do you?
Yes, sometimes. Obviously I don't know him, so I can only go on the bits we see. But some of the bits we see are undeniably arseholesque.

I think that Morrissey's reaction to this reunion conversation in 2008 told Johnny all he needed to know - that nothing's changed. Moz was still mercurial, impulsive, unpredictable and seemingly even more so now.

And in addition, from Morrissey's point of view, Marr hadn't changed either. As soon as they had this reunion conversation, Marr was off on tour with the Cribs - which must have irked Moz, having tentatively agreed to this monumental reunion only to see Johnny up and leave again. Another factor, I think is that in 2008, Johnny was still attractively boyish and now with added tattoos, but still married to Angie. So it was "I Won't Share You" and "I Want the One I Can't Have" all over again.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
And in addition, from Morrissey's point of view, Marr hadn't changed either. As soon as they had this reunion conversation, Marr was off on tour with the Cribs - which must have irked Moz, having tentatively agreed to this monumental reunion only to see Johnny up and leave again. Another factor, I think is that in 2008, Johnny was still attractively boyish and now with added tattoos, but still married to Angie. So it was "I Won't Share You" and "I Want the One I Can't Have" all over again.

Moz wont be seen onstage with someone wearing a :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:. not happening, peeps. Get it thru your heads.
The neck tat is a second XXX.:oldwoman:

DramaJ has nothing going
while Moz has a huge USA/SOUTH AMERICA TOUR HAPPENING:hand:

doh:

Im sure Monet would have managed a five second :guitar: solo, where :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: wouldnt know where to begin.:squiffy: He would get confused with the current Moz solo material which is much more esoteric and musically complicated.:rolleyes: too complicated for his limited abilities.

DramaJ should start a group with the two grubby LMWrs FFs.:straightface:
Morrissey's rubbish is about as esoteric and complicated as a f***ing Pat Boone Christmas album. The only two places it's suited to are the frozen food aisle and a descending elevator. Coincidentally, the only two places anyone will ever hear ANY of it.

BTW, kiddo - Your mom just shouted down from upstairs. You forgot to take out the trash. Also, your boss at the basket-weaving factory called. He needs you to come in on Saturday. ...and your pizza pockets are ready.

And in addition, from Morrissey's point of view, Marr hadn't changed either. As soon as they had this reunion conversation, Marr was off on tour with the Cribs - which must have irked Moz, having tentatively agreed to this monumental reunion only to see Johnny up and leave again.

Exactly. I think they keep rubbing salt in each's other wounds, as it were.

Everyone knows that Moz was possessive, etc ("Promiscuous he, monogamous me") - and perhaps Johnny poured petrol on that with the whole "I will, but the Cribs first..." stuff. Not helped at all by the fact that he soon left The Cribs to "go solo", so perhaps it seemed Moz was being fobbed off for not-very-much.

And Johnny? I don't think Moz can help himself. He must know he smothered JM in the past. He could have said, "I understand you enjoy playing with these guys, it's no problem, see you when you come back" and been a grown-up about it, but no.

I get the impression - this is pure conjecture of course - but I get a sense from what I've absorbed over the years, that Morrissey and Marr have never sat together and properly discussed / apologised for / argued out the reasons for the end of The Smiths. It's the elephant in the room - Johnny's letters, reproduced in Autobiog, hint at never having explained fully. When they have reconciled, it's always described as long drives and reminiscing, a friendly chat in the pub, but Let's Not Talk About The Split Though. And then long, long silences. It's like there is a festering hurt and resentment between them that keeps rearing its head, and keeps them at a distance. Talk about it M & M, lance the wound, life is short. :guitar:

I think Johnny is doing fine on his own.
1.png

Based on a score of 59 by 25 critics the mean average would be 4.2 against the 78 by 16 critics which comes out as 4.7, not quite such a large discrepancy

Last edited:
Exactly. I think they keep rubbing salt in each's other wounds, as it were.

Everyone knows that Moz was possessive, etc ("Promiscuous he, monogamous me") - and perhaps Johnny poured petrol on that with the whole "I will, but the Cribs first..." stuff. Not helped at all by the fact that he soon left The Cribs to "go solo", so perhaps it seemed Moz was being fobbed off for not-very-much.

And Johnny? I don't think Moz can help himself. He must know he smothered JM in the past. He could have said, "I understand you enjoy playing with these guys, it's no problem, see you when you come back" and been a grown-up about it, but no.

I get the impression - this is pure conjecture of course - but I get a sense from what I've absorbed over the years, that Morrissey and Marr have never sat together and properly discussed / apologised for / argued out the reasons for the end of The Smiths. It's the elephant in the room - Johnny's letters, reproduced in Autobiog, hint at never having explained fully. When they have reconciled, it's always described as long drives and reminiscing, a friendly chat in the pub, but Let's Not Talk About The Split Though. And then long, long silences. It's like there is a festering hurt and resentment between them that keeps rearing its head, and keeps them at a distance. Talk about it M & M, lance the wound, life is short. :guitar:
There are some good points there in both posts. But do you not think the biggest stumbling block of all is Morrissey's own solo career? He's had 30+ years of being worshipped and there's only one name up in lights. I get the feeling sharing the stage, the control, and the acclaim, would be nigh on impossible for him at this point. Maybe he got carried away in the moment with Johnny, then went away and thought about his own set-up, where everybody does exactly what he wants, all the time... and thought, nah.

There are some good points there in both posts. But do you not think the biggest stumbling block of all is Morrissey's own solo career? He's had 30+ years of being worshipped and there's only one name up in lights. I get the feeling sharing the stage, the control, and the acclaim, would be nigh on impossible for him at this point. Maybe he got carried away in the moment with Johnny, then went away and thought about his own set-up, where everybody does exactly what he wants, all the time... and thought, nah.

All comes back to ego, ego, ego.

Somehow, I don't think Johnny would be up for wearing outfits like this...
I don't know whether to laugh at the band or cry with them

Yep. I'm sure Johnny once said in an interview that Morrissey was always destined to be a solo artist. Knowing Johnny's talent for diplomacy, it's not a stretch to read this as, 'having his own way on everything, all the time.'

Yep. I'm sure Johnny once said in an interview that Morrissey was always destined to be a solo artist. Knowing Johnny's talent for diplomacy, it's not a stretch to read this as, 'having his own way on everything, all the time.'

Oh, the band though. Jesse cracks me up because he's not even hiding it. Every single one of them looks as though they are thinking, "No amount of money is worth this...no amount of money is worth this..."

if Moz tells the peeps not to buy any more Smiths materials, then :frogface:and the Lawnmowers will all be in the poor house overnight.:eek:

you can call that stark reality, 'diplomacy' if need be.:lbf:

YOU CANT LIVE OFF COMET MEAT ALONE:straightface::straightface:

Oh, the band though. Jesse cracks me up because he's not even hiding it. Every single one of them looks as though they are thinking, "No amount of money is worth this...no amount of money is worth this..."
Yeah, but being honest, it's quite hard to feel sympathy for Jesse, don't you find?

I like the video, so cryptic, so special, people ponder what the song is about, but they can't be certain. Anyway, I say leave Morrissey alone, he has achieved so much in his lifetime, yet all I read on the internet are lesser beings declaring this, that or whatever else about Morrissey. I think He's a nice person with issues, all this heavy racism stuff aimed at him I think is a bit below the belt, certain statements by Morrissey have only been said because of other peoples actions.

Yes, sometimes. Obviously I don't know him, so I can only go on the bits we see. But some of the bits we see are undeniably arseholesque.
I'm sometimes relieved when he's arseholesque, otherwise he's unbearably vulnerable. And I do believe he's only an arse to those who deserve it. .

No, I don't believe they've had such a discussion or it likely would've been mentioned in "Autobiography" and/or "Set the Boy Free". This probably more than anything is the reason that Morrissey & Marr have not done a single thing together since the split (Johnny join Morrissey on stage or vice-versa). Frankly, I think they both have things to own up to and apologize for at the end and toward the end of The Smiths. If that conversation ever happens then perhaps the possibility of a Morrissey/Marr reunion exists. Full Smiths reunion? Probably never.

Back
Top Bottom