Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

I don’t think Andy stayed on good terms with either Morrissey or marr. I’m not saying there’s a feud but hes seemed pretty annoyed at both of them In the recent past.l especially in that daily beast interview

For some reason, I thought Andy & Johnny were on good terms. I guess the evidence does not exactly support that assumption. If they were, at the very least, Andy would've been invited to play live with Johnny and/or appear on one of his albums.

Last edited:
For some reason, I thought Andy & Johnny were on good terms. I guess the evidence does not exactly support that assumption. If they were, at the very least, Andy would've been invited to play live with Johnny and/or appear on one of his albums.

They are, aren't they? They've been photographed together a few times in recent years, maybe 2013-14?

Any one who read 'Autobiography', or viewed or read even just a few interviews with Morrissey, knows that there isn't any chance that there will be a band reformation. The damage to Morrissey, which is a damage to culture, caused by the trial initiated by Joyce, was so immense, so deep, and Joyce himself so ignorant to what he had done, and Joyce being so painfully daft in general. To talk about a reformation is just ignorance.. Just look at one interview with Joyce, and you'll understand why it's against all laws of existence, finding him and Morrissey on the same stage.. Simply preposterous.

You must be very young.

The term "sketchy" has been in popular use since the early nineties. In no way is it a recent invention.

You need to come to terms with the fact that Morrissey has lost his dignity, and has become a rather ordinary person, while Johnny just keeps getting better.

Pop's original snowflake is now a melted puddle.

actually a skateboard term and has been in use since the early 80s if not earlier.

Any one who read 'Autobiography', or viewed or read even just a few interviews with Morrissey, knows that there isn't any chance that there will be a band reformation. The damage to Morrissey, which is a damage to culture, caused by the trial initiated by Joyce, was so immense, so deep, and Joyce himself so ignorant to what he had done, and Joyce being so painfully daft in general. To talk about a reformation is just ignorance.. Just look at one interview with Joyce, and you'll understand why it's against all laws of existence, finding him and Morrissey on the same stage.. Simply preposterous.

Yeah but the reformation conversation marrs referring to was about reforming without Joyce. They’ve also been offered tours performing as morrissey and marr which despite grumbling amongst fans that this wouldn’t be the smiths people would still show up. Johnny’s has seemed up and down in the subject but morrissey has always seemed against it. I. So many in many conversations he’s indicated that he’s just moved on

A reformation with Joyce will never happen but a reunion between Morrissey and Marr? Neither has ever closed the door on it, including Moz. They blow hot and cold like ex-spouses; one day they will stop snarking at each other and do it, even if it's a one-off.

A reformation with Joyce will never happen but a reunion between Morrissey and Marr? Neither has ever closed the door on it, including Moz. They blow hot and cold like ex-spouses; one day they will stop snarking at each other and do it, even if it's a one-off.
I agree that it's a possibility.. and it will be very touching as well. Their common creation is divine. It's a very strong thing to share.

My fear is they will do it in the end, but will have waited too long so neither is as good as they were. That, for me, would be the ultimate kicker - the excitement and anticipation crushed by 'Oh... it's too late'.

Yeah but the reformation conversation marrs referring to was about reforming without Joyce. They’ve also been offered tours performing as morrissey and marr which despite grumbling amongst fans that this wouldn’t be the smiths people would still show up. Johnny’s has seemed up and down in the subject but morrissey has always seemed against it. I. So many in many conversations he’s indicated that he’s just moved on
Yes, true. But this is usually in reference to a 'Smiths Reunion'. I don't remember him being asked specifically about collaborating with Marr again. I always wonder if Marr sent him some music along the years..

Moz has moved on from the:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: single chicka chicka boom very limited guitar riff:guitar:

He certainly has - in the way that you might move from, say, Monet to graffiti on the walls of a train station.

He certainly has - in the way that you might move from, say, Monet to graffiti on the walls of a train station.

doh:

Im sure Monet would have managed a five second :guitar: solo, where :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: wouldnt know where to begin.:squiffy: He would get confused with the current Moz solo material which is much more esoteric and musically complicated.:rolleyes: too complicated for his limited abilities.

DramaJ should start a group with the two grubby LMWrs FFs.:straightface:

Yes, true. But this is usually in reference to a 'Smiths Reunion'. I don't remember him being asked specifically about collaborating with Marr again. I always wonder if Marr sent him some music along the years..

I remember an interview where he seemed open to the idea, around the time of Maladjusted. The Dave Fanning radio interview from 2002-ish is very interesting too. ("It was a terrible decision (Johnny) made and I don't know how he lives with it, really.")

He was very cryptic about that pub meeting in his autobiography though -"Johnny, too, tells me he is ready for a reunion." Well yes, Moz, but what did you reply? He leaves it hanging.

Last edited:
They are, aren't they? They've been photographed together a few times in recent years, maybe 2013-14?

Andy and Johnny have been photographed together earlier this year, but it was before the Classically Smiths shenanigans. I saw a comment that Andy was at Johnny's show in NYC this summer, but I didn't see a picture. I'm thinking their friendship must be very deep to weather so much over the years!

I remember an interview where he seemed open to the idea, around the time of Maladjusted. The Dave Fanning radio interview from 2002-ish is very interesting too. ("It was a terrible decision (Johnny) made and I don't know how he lives with it, really.")

He was very cryptic about that pub meeting in his autobiography though -"Johnny, too, tells me he is ready for a reunion." Well yes, Moz, but what did you reply? He leaves it hanging.

I thought, in 'Autobiography', that he left it hanging either because its so absurdly out of the question, or he himself didn't really know, at the time, if its possible or interesting for him, and left it to time.. time said no. or not yet. The reaction in the interview shows that there's still anger regarding Johnny's departure. And it doesn't contradict him being very happy in his solo career. These things stay as open wounds, even if they're sometimes in sleeping mode, or become less painful with years.

I thought, in 'Autobiography', that he left it hanging either because its so absurdly out of the question, or he himself didn't really know, at the time, if its possible or interesting for him, and left it to time.. time said no. or not yet. The reaction in the interview shows that there's still anger regarding Johnny's departure. And it doesn't contradict him being very happy in his solo career. These things stay as open wounds, even if they're sometimes in sleeping mode, or become less painful with years.

I think that Morrissey's reaction to this reunion conversation in 2008 told Johnny all he needed to know - that nothing's changed. Moz was still mercurial, impulsive, unpredictable and seemingly even more so now.

I've no idea if he's sent music or not but I'd guess not. When morrissey and marr had a conversation about doing a smiths reunion tour it was mentioned by both that Joyce would not be a part of it. I do believe they've been offered money to do a smiths tour without either Andy or mike

Back
Top Bottom