Morrissey Central "GILLESPIE MANIA" and "DANA GILLESPIE" (May 17, 2024)

full

Also:

Spent The Day In Bed by Dana Gillespie has entered the official UK vinyl chart at number 3.

Week 3 = out of the Vinyl Singles Chart.
Also peaked at #74 on the Official Singles Sales Chart - remaining there for 1 week.
FWD.

Miley's phoning it in on this one. I just got back from a St Vincent gig in Bristol and she is drenched in David Byrne's musical pheromones. She collaborated on a whole album with him. Miley's 'collaboration' with Steven amounted to backing vocals on one song, that unreleased one about Veronica and even that got binned by the forces of containment. Etc.

It's interesting to see how some of the more intelligent younguns are investigating the music behind the apparel-memes they randomly sport as fashion crimes and thus encounter the complexities of bona-fide intellectual heavyweights like Byrne.

I also encounter young people modelling iconographics from previous decades untroubled by a lack of knowledge of the art behind their their 'Meat Is Murder' or 'DSOTM' t-shirt. I asked some young rent boy what he liked about Black Sabbath but he didn't understand the question. He was wearing a 'Paranoid' tee because it was pretty and matched the rest of his clown attire.

I thought I'd pop in to see if that Manchester Arena song had escaped as I'll be there tonight for the TOOL - Night Verses stuff. TOOL were hilarious in Birmingham on Thursday night. I'd pay good money to see and hear Maynard, Morrissey and Byrne in convo at The Bowdon Rooms with Mike Joyce as compere MC. It would be pure comedy ... 3 intellectual pop-rock titans duelling in debate...ahem! Morrissey wouldn't last 5 minutes in the ring. Chasm-Kassum karma chameleon chancer so he is, was, will be...paging Ian McCullough...lolzapaloopa!

I had a front row seat for Henry Rollins chin-wag soiree at Birmingham Town Hall but the prick cancelled because Covid...he'd be a good host in Bowdon if Mike Joyce was unavailable.

It always tickled me when Morrissey posed as an 'intellectual' pop star and made the ludicrous, spurious claim that he was sui generis in this respect. The idea he was unaware of 'More Songs About Buildings And Food' and 'Fear Of Music' as he writhed in thwarted ambition before achieving his 40 watt 'fame' is absurd, as is any notion that Marr didn't study Talking Heads in that era. Any serious guitarist immediately heard the influence of Talking Heads in The Smiths. I certainly did but the morons in Moseley continued to fantasise that Marr was wholly original. Some still do but I doubt Marr does, or ever did...

I'll be staying in Manchester to catch Jane's Addiction on Sunday. I wonder what Marr thinks of Dave Navarro...

“I was stumped”: Revisiting Johnny Marr’s collaboration with Talking Heads
Last night Perry Farrell was vibing between songs and giving kudos to Mancunian bands, performers. Heard him mention Oasis and others who got a rousing cheer. Sound was crap on his 🎤 so might be wrong but pretty sure he didn't mention Morrissey and The Smiths. He was giving California liberal clichés out about the environment, elections, the usual stuff - so I guess Morrissey is anathema in such circles. Maybe that's why nobody answers when he rings their doorbell. I'll check social media later to see if this is more evidence of Morrissey being cancelled by all right thinking rock n roll legends.

Couldn't quite believe Eric Avery was a few feet in front of me. A bona-fide rock god, sexiest bass player in this time-space reality matrix. Woof!

BB

Jane's Addiction's Eric Avery on the challenges of writing a great bassline and why he was drawn to teach himself the bass guitar because of his shyness

Last night Perry Farrell was vibing between songs and giving kudos to Mancunian bands, performers. Heard him mention Oasis and others who got a rousing cheer. Sound was crap on his 🎤 so might be wrong but pretty sure he didn't mention Morrissey and The Smiths. He was giving California liberal clichés out about the environment, elections, the usual stuff - so I guess Morrissey is anathema in such circles. Maybe that's why nobody answers when he rings their doorbell. I'll check social media later to see if this is more evidence of Morrissey being cancelled by all right thinking rock n roll legends.

Couldn't quite believe Eric Avery was a few feet in front of me. A bona-fide rock god, sexiest bass player in this time-space reality matrix. Woof!

BB

Jane's Addiction's Eric Avery on the challenges of writing a great bassline and why he was drawn to teach himself the bass guitar because of his shyness

Went ahead and heard this new one.
Had some of that classic Jane's bass to it.

I got a real feeling they're on the cusp of another triumph with a new iteration: not just a pension-nostalgia tour.

At the risk of inflaming the usual suspects here, Eric Avery's status in the canon of compositions does make me wonder what might have been with The Smiths if Marr and Morrissey hadn't been so pig-headed, delusional and arrogant with regards to the rhythm section 'lawnmower parts'.

'Barbarism Begins At Home' could have been the beginning of Andy Rourke’s ascent to equal status as a writer but, alas, it was not to be. What's even more galling is Marr’s spurious later claims to love 'da funk', giving kudos to Fatback Band, Chic and Bootsy whilst ignoring a nascent bass genius in the ranks.

RIP Andy Rourke 🙏

- some of us were watching you intently as the twin-headed, Marrissey gorgon-whore imagined all eyes (and ears) were on them. Delusional fame-hags who thought they were driving The Smiths vehicle ignoring the chassis of drum and bass underpinning the whole thing. Morrissey was-is completely clueless as a musician but Marr has always had 'pretensions'. Neither of them were half as smart as their own self-publicity sought to suggest.

Tragically, Andy Rourke isn't even on this list. No wonder he got strung out on heroin...

20 greatest punk-rock bassists of all time

https://www.altpress.com/best-punk-rock-bassists/

Kind regards
BrummieBoy

-a bona-fide multi-instruMentalist musical genie-genius from Small Heath... etcetera...

Eric has matured into a complete sex machine. I kept wondering if his bass has given him erectile dysfunction issues 🤔...

...if you're gunna be a late-in-life rock god returned, get in the fcukin gym like Eric and bicep-swing that low-hung bass from your hips like a funky little bitch...

Music turbo charges my libido in general but Eric is musical Erecstasy: who needs a snort and a little blue pill when you can just blast Jane's Addiction in the boudoir?

You're my wife now Eric...

:p:smilingimp:😎😈🍆

BB

Eric Avery has no idea he is my boyfriend

I got a real feeling they're on the cusp of another triumph with a new iteration: not just a pension-nostalgia tour.

At the risk of inflaming the usual suspects here, Eric Avery's status in the canon of compositions does make me wonder what might have been with The Smiths if Marr and Morrissey hadn't been so pig-headed, delusional and arrogant with regards to the rhythm section 'lawnmower parts'.

'Barbarism Begins At Home' could have been the beginning of Andy Rourke’s ascent to equal status as a writer but, alas, it was not to be. What's even more galling is Marr’s spurious later claims to love 'da funk', giving kudos to Fatback Band, Chic and Bootsy whilst ignoring a nascent bass genius in the ranks.

RIP Andy Rourke 🙏

- some of us were watching you intently as the twin-headed, Marrissey gorgon-whore imagined all eyes (and ears) were on them. Delusional fame-hags who thought they were driving The Smiths vehicle ignoring the chassis of drum and bass underpinning the whole thing. Morrissey was-is completely clueless as a musician but Marr has always had 'pretensions'. Neither of them were half as smart as their own self-publicity sought to suggest.

Tragically, Andy Rourke isn't even on this list. No wonder he got strung out on heroin...

20 greatest punk-rock bassists of all time

https://www.altpress.com/best-punk-rock-bassists/

Kind regards
BrummieBoy

-a bona-fide multi-instruMentalist musical genie-genius from Small Heath... etcetera...
Andy not being on that list is indeed strange. Maybe The Smiths tried too hard to not be seen as traditionally 'punk rock'. They kind of created their own 'genre' in many ways. But Andy being under-appreciated as a musician is definitely very noticeable.

Thanks to the excitement generated by Morrissey Solo in the 9 - 10 months since I joined ....I have bought a ticket to see Marc Almond! OMG! It will be easy to get there on public transport ....as for the getting home in time for pet social input, fingers crossed! May have to grovel and beg forgiveness. If I can't get transport will be home on the dawn bus!

Last edited:
Andy not being on that list is indeed strange. Maybe The Smiths tried too hard to not be seen as traditionally 'punk rock'. They kind of created their own 'genre' in many ways. But Andy being under-appreciated as a musician is definitely very noticeable.
So why are Peter Hook and Nicky Wire on that list?

Both brilliant, both 'inspired by punk' but their triumphs transcend that glorious lo-fi, primitivist, basic-bitch genre.

As does Andy Rourke’s glorious bass lines. My arthritis is a bit of a pain but I can still do these amazing bass riffs:

Well I Wonder

This Charming Man

Hand In Glove

Is anyone seriously suggesting 'Hand In Glove' wasn't one of the defining high tides of 'punk'?

All three of these epochal compositions are grounded, rooted, anchored by The Bass Guitar of Andy Rourke...and no, I don't believe for a moment that Johnny Marr 'dictated' them from his 6 string. Pure horseshit.

Sincerely yours
BB

Hand In Glove - bass tutorial with tabs

Back
Top Bottom