Binyamina-Giv'at Ada - Zappa Amphi Shuni (July 2, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Notre-Dame (live debut) / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Hagit Yaron FB.

Last edited:
Let's suppose that Morrissey isn't well, psychologically and emotionally.

Should we fans join his haters and make him feel even worse than he might have been feeling?

I don't think so.

I don't like Notre Dame much, but I don't find it catastrophic either. Not the end of anything.
+1.

And btw what is up with people writing here that he's an alcoholic. That's completely baseless and borderline libelous.

+1.

And btw what is up with people writing here that he's an alcoholic. That's completely baseless and borderline libelous.
quite right,what he does behind closed doors has absolutely nothing to do with anyone on here.

+1.

Please look at the recent video of Moz on a plane. There are too many descriptions of his heavy drinking out there, some from well known musicians he's hung out with. The guy's a freakin' two fisted Vodka drinker.

I wanted to write this comment before, but then by the same token i think to myself, “what is the point in engaging with people that don’t know how to ever think for themselves?” A lot of you have spent decades arguing (rightly) that not all Smiths or Morrissey songs are necessarily wholly autobiographical to the letter, even when sung in the first person. So that’s like, you can pick out nuance sometimes? But not all of the time? Oh, only when it suits, i always forget. And so many of you are so quick to jump to take excerpts of lyrics the very moment that you think there’s something you can cling on to and possibly jump down his throat or beat him over the head with.

I don’t personally hear *any* words whatsoever in this song that are anti-Muslim or anti-Islam. And that’s separate and despite the fact that there are plenty of Islamic tenets that any free Western person would rightfully object to based on the constructs of our own Western societal norms - and laws.

What I do hear in this song is the repetition of “Before any investigation, they said this is not terrorism”.

If anything, this song could be said to be critiquing the media’s rabid desire to push a certain narrative, at the expense of any and all truth.

Large media groups and conglomerates that dominate the mainstream outlets that have deep rooted political biases based on whichever contingents are funding them never care what the truth is on any subject, as long as the angle and the spin supports the desired chosen narrative of the moment, of the given contingent that is behind the funding. There is always a story that someone wants to tell. And then separately, somewhere, usually the truth can also be found. Sound familiar yet? Have any of you seen this happen anywhere else? Or to anyone else? Is there anybody here who is even capable of one single, independent, coherent string of interconnected thoughts?

Regardless of how you think the fire at Notre Dame started, I don’t see any words in these lyrics that state what a lot of you are saying the lyrics state. As the media has done on many prior occasions and as many of you have done and continue to do, you really do cherry pick his statements as well as his lyrics that some of you personally want to weaponize. It’s gross, and yes I do think Morrissey is super brave for having to deal with the inanity of the many accusations that get endlessly lobbed his way.

Lastly - on the subject of the other main debate that a lot of you are having, which is “quality” of the lyrics themselves: not all songs are built the same, and not all songs need to be the same. Not all songs will be overflowing with creative puns, double entendres, acrobatic semantics and lyrical soliloquies, and nor do they need to be.

This is a somber song, about a shocking and deeply sombre, horrific event of mammoth historical and cultural depth of significance. I think the mood imbued by the rather austere and forceful lyrics and by the beautiful music in both instances mirrors the disturbingly dark element that was the prevailing common thread and collective mood as many people watched this awe-rending destruction and associated images unfold.

Not every single song from Morrissey’s astounding back catalogue has the same meaning or personal significance to me. This is called being a human being. The question is, if this is a song that some of you like less, or dislike, why can’t those of you be accepting of the fact that that’s fine?

Morrissey has nothing to prove to anyone. If you’re one of the people who thinks that the lyrics in this song don’t speak you, who cares.

As someone else said somewhere here recently, “why should i go see Morrissey if i can go see X band for the third time in a month and know for sure I’ll come out of it in a good mood?”” I’m paraphrasing, because I was only skimming when i saw it and wasn’t really paying attention.

But actually, that’s exactly what a lot of you should be doing. And you’ll be happier for it.

I like this song and my sincere opinion is that a lot of the people on this site are genuinely low IQ. That has nothing to do with anything anyone thinks of this particular song. That has do with the embarrassingly poor showing of intelligent thought, interaction, contribution, and discourse. It’s really stupid, all of the time. But yeah, I do think it’s funny if a bunch of you are going to run out to buy tickets to the concerts. And it will be even funnier if those that don’t, just continue to come here to complain how much they don’t like everything that they don’t like. What a life to lead. Lol!
Goodness me. You are highly articulate and, I'm quite sure, more "intelligent" than most of us on this site - fair enough.

And you're right, if this song is "about" anything it seems to be about the way in which our contemporary media shuts down discussion of anything which might be seen to be "anti-Islamic" or whatever. But it's such a weak piece of lyric writing. There are soooo many ways in which he could have tackled this exact topic, but with a bit of wit, insight, nuance, provocation, whatever. (Which I think a song like "Bonfire of Teenagers" does, to a degree.)

Also, this part of your post:

This is a somber song, about a shocking and deeply sombre, horrific event of mammoth historical and cultural depth of significance.

Good grief. It was an accidental fire in a lovely old building. Nothing more, nothing less.

Please look at the recent video of Moz on a plane. There are too many descriptions of his heavy drinking out there, some from well known musicians he's hung out with. The guy's a freakin' two fisted Vodka drinker.
We don't even know whether he was drunk there. I don't remember his speech sounding slurred.
And even IF he was, that doesn't mean at all he has a drinking problem. He could have been drinking there just cause he's afraid of flying (if he even was)

Other descriptions, such as Noel Gallagher's, simply describe someone drinking when partying. Doesn't mean he has a drinking problem.

Last edited:
You're so right, the music has a gorgeous groove to it. He could have sung almost anything over this and it could be a great new Morrissey track. But instead he chooses to do that *awful* finger-wagging thing, telling us what to think. Ugh.
Revenge on Alain?!
It really only leaves two possibilities, doesn't it:

(a) He's actually incredibly dim and cannot understand that you won't get a deal from any label if you insist on putting lyrics like this on an album, or

(b) He's doing it deliberately, so as to keep picking at his "victim" scab which has been there since pretty much day one of The Smiths.

Neither one particularly appeals to me...
There are more possibilities but for the moment, my brain feels like something has unexpectedly ricocheted off it and made it sore.

Anyway, another review of the show: https://www.thejc.com/news/israel/m...-of-two-sold-out-shows-3L1gwvvEtGAxd45g9hUGlf

He doesn't believe all sorts of silly accidents can happen in a cathedral?
Transplant the Vicar of Dibley in Notre-Dame, see what happens.

The trouble with Morrissey is that he lacks imagination. Even if the fire was intentional, why couldn't it be a petty revenge because someone was rude?

Lots of people are mental besides islamist terrorists.

The song is instantly forgettable and the unbelievably lame montage of people shushing in the background is ludicrous. There's no evidence to support his premise so he's pointlessly spewing negativity in a big way, and he's doing it for attention. (The boy with the thorn in his brain.)
I think his next step will be dousing himself in petrol in the Capitol lady's garage and threatening to light a match, screaming "I am the Voice of God! You shall release His album and renounce the Devil or your house shall smell eternally of Vegan Barbecue! I am your humble hot servant oh Lord!" (etc etc)

and even with that we'll have the attention span of hamsters in a wheel of fire. Good luck Morrissey!

Agree. Meat is Murder is a very relevant exeption though.
Actually, what about Margaret on the Guillotine. Another pretty heavy handed political lyric.
Not much nuance in Meat is Murder either of course, but since I strongly agree with the sentiment I cannot not love that song.

fires happen all the time especially when theirs renovation work going on.
reminds me of the world famous rennie mackintosh school of art building in glasgow went on fire in 2014,they asked for donations to rebuild,brad pitt gave a sizeable donation after spending a long time in glasgow filming world war z,so they finally got the millions to put it all back together and when it was nearly finished in 2018,it burned down again.could only happen in good old bonnie scotland.

What exactly is wrong with Moz having a problem with Islam?
Many actual French people are Muslim. He has Muslim friends. Does he have a problem with Islam? Or people from Africa? Or people with some other mass identifier? That seems implied. Some reasons here why that stance would be off and unjust

Or could we be getting the wrong end of the stick? Apparently quite a few classic political songs have been badly misunderstood: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/misunderstood-political-songs-time/

Agree. Meat is Murder is a very relevant exeption though.
Ah very true, M should take a page out of his own book when it comes to turning people to his point of view in that way, MiM changed so many peoples minds to meat consumption, I doubt this is going to do the same. He has such an incredible varied back catalogue if the writing well has dried up there's a huge amount to choose from for tours but alas, hopefully this song is an unfortunate exception.

take out the terrorism line and the nothing to see here line and there could be a decent song,a cold hand just touched me could be from smiler with knife.

Ah very true, M should take a page out of his own book when it comes to turning people to his point of view in that way, MiM changed so many peoples minds to meat consumption, I doubt this is going to do the same. He has such an incredible varied back catalogue if the writing well has dried up there's a huge amount to choose from for tours but alas, hopefully this song is an unfortunate exception.
I think that we have finally lost our boy!

Actually, what about Margaret on the Guillotine. Another pretty heavy handed political lyric.
Not much nuance in Meat is Murder either of course, but since I strongly agree with the sentiment I cannot not love that song.
Margaret on the Guillotine is a genuinely nasty song, you're right. The difference being that back then, 95% of his fans (I made this up, but you get the drift) and 92% of music journalists (ditto) hated Thatcher with the same passion that Morrissey did. So he was allowed to get away with it. (I love the song!)

It is absolutely his right, as an artist, to write songs that go against how many of his fans feel, and to kick against the prevailing media establishment. And it's our right, as consumers, to be disappointed. [I do also get the argument that if we're feeling that let down, like dear old Uncle Peter, then perhaps we should just...walk away.]

I think this song was written very quickly in an ice-cream van.
Hence the cold hand that touches him at one point.

(Barney S. was touched by the hand of God, Morrissey was only touched by the hand of Gelato.)

I've been trying to wade through this thread, getting more and more depressed.

The music is good. Looking at the Notre Dame clip, he seems disconnected from the music.
Earlier I just caught a bit of the SATH encore, he seemed to abandon the song for some reason, may have been a technical issue though. Have to check it out again.

Genius song. I remember at the time of release what a breath of fresh air hearing it was.

Edit: I need to explain the latter. At the time I seemed to be surrounded by so many of her apologists. I couldn't stand her. When VH came out - at last there was this devastating riposte to all the ghastliness. It helped greatly.

Last edited:
I want to know what he says between songs.
When you go to a gig, do you sit or stand there posting epic live reviews of the gig to folk you don't know / never met on an internet site or do you take it all in, enjoying the moment you are sharing between yourself and the artist?

This is a somber song, about a shocking and deeply sombre, horrific event of mammoth historical and cultural depth of significance.

Good grief. It was an accidental fire in a lovely old building. Nothing more, nothing less.
Absolutely irreplaceable pieces of art, ancient and historical relics, and Christian artifacts that existed for thousands of years and which are now lost for all of eternity were destroyed. Treasures and religious pieces that were very literally priceless are gone, and that’s in addition to many hundreds of millions of euro in overall damage, and this was the most insightful comment you were able to come up with?

Here's the email Victor Hugo sent to Penguin Classics today after reading the lyrics:

Dudes. wtaf?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom