The Times: Comedian Paul Black on his most memorable Scottish gig (October 2, 2024)

• Thread starter Thread starter Gray Fruit
  • Start date Start date

Paul Black: I need to say sorry to anyone who ever gave me a job

The comedian on avoiding doing anything hard at all costs, his Smiths obsession and stealing his earliest memory from his sister

What has been your most memorable Scottish gig?
We’re gonna have to separate the artist from the art here: it has to be when I saw Morrissey for the first time. I had been obsessed with the Smiths throughout my teens and had made it my whole identity, so it felt like a big deal. I went to see Johnny Marr when I was 18 too and that was maybe even better because I didn’t have to live in shame of being there.

full

what a wank,scottish people seem to avoid the cancelled stuff but not this fanny.
oh the shame of being seen at a morrissey concert,the only shame i would feel is being in the same building as this tosser.
"When I told everyone I was gonna become a professional stand up comedian, they all laughed… Well, they’re not laughing now!"

I think you're taking this way too literally. That's just something people say. The Office Space movie popularized the line, "I'm gonna go ahead and [x]." Do you really think he is deliberately coding his words in fear of some shadowy cultural overseer?

Yes, and I'm sure the "anti-woke" comedian Dave Chappelle will never find another venue to play in. Please don't say he has the benefit of status or f*ck-you money. "Anti-woke" is a mainstream trend in comedy, with plenty of new takers and endless Joe Rogan clones. You don't have the enduring and annoying popularity of "bro"/"barstool" shit in the UK?
Andrew Lawrence didn't work in the UK for 2 years after he made a joke about black players being bad at taking penalties at the Euros final. Graham Linehan continues to be denied work because of his views against trans ideology. I have no doubt there are dozens, hundreds more, in the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Paul Black knows this. He said 'we're gonna have to' for a reason. His career depends on it. His next booking depends on it.

Andrew Lawrence didn't work in the UK for 2 years after he made a joke about black players being bad at taking penalties at the Euros final. Graham Linehan continues to be denied work because of his views against trans ideology. I have no doubt there are dozens, hundreds more, in the UK, the USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Paul Black knows this. He said 'we're gonna have to' for a reason. His career depends on it. His next booking depends on it.

So when someone casually uses a manner of speaking like "we have to keep in mind" or "look, I have to say," you take this to mean that they're literally referring to compulsory thought or speech? You're taking conspiracy thinking to a whole new level here. You are gratuitously assuming that Paul Black wants to say the things Graham Linehan and Andrew Lawrence did, but is afraid to say them, when all he's doing is giving his opinion on Morrissey. Maybe he just doesn't like Morrissey's commentary.

Assuming his livelihood depends on it, why would he leave unsubtle breadcrumbs like saying "we have to"? Wouldn't he just say "I separate the art from the artist" instead of risking being found out? Do you think he's like a hostage on video sending coded messages by blinking? And if he is, why would you expose him here? Do you think the tentacles of the anti-Morrissey "woke" blacklisters don't extend to a Morrissey forum?

Yes, and there's currently a trend in China where people are torturing cats and posting the videos for internet likes. But I'm not sure this tells us anything special about the Chinese other than that they have the universal human tendency for animal cruelty. Long before the internet, the French used to burn cats alive as public entertainment. Being a sub-species does not seem to depend on being a particular nationality.

Yes. Agree. And I believe if the interviewer and Morrissey were discussing how people in France once publicly killed cats for entertainment, and he watched footage of said acts, he most likely would have called the French a subspecies.

And you and I both know the same kinds of cruelties go on in U.S. factory farms as go on at Yulin; our animals selected for their meat simply have the misfortune of not being as cuddly and beloved as dogs. I can understand what Morrissey was getting at, but he did not phrase it well and never qualified it (something Bellow bothered to do).
Agree. But I don’t know enough about Bellow and the controversies surrounding him, but maybe I now know just enough ( which is nothing at all) from what you said here, to be totally outraged and go online and demand that all of his books be banned from schools, libraries and bookstores forever.
I guess they find the disclaimer necessary for the same reason anyone else says the same thing about separating the art from the artist.

And what is that reason? Do they even have one? Or is their, and this disclaimer, fear based?

Of course everyone has a right to an opinion, and there’s nothing wrong with disagreeing with Morrissey’s views on life. But if those criticizing, can’t go into it and discuss it, then there will be people that are naturally going to assume that they are idiots simply saving their ass by virtue signaling.

Though, I understand that if Morrissey isn’t going to defend or explain himself, then he’s
setting himself up to being falsely accused by
a majority of people that are not going to look into why he says what he says, or even try to understand why he says what he says. But the repeated message and agenda by some media and other platforms on the internet, paints the false picture that Morrissey is daily saying and doing monstrous and horrific things to other people. And so, here we are.

I don't what precise problems Paul Black has with Morrissey; he didn't get into specifics.
They never ever do.
But I don't think the context saves the sub-species comment, for the reasons given above.
Sorry. I don’t follow you. You don’t believe he would have possibly made the same comment if he and the interviewer were discussing a similar situation that took place in another country? I think it’s highly probable, the country, the nationality could be interchangeable.
That said, if that's the one that bothers him, then I wonder if he's vegan. ;)
Most likely not. If PB was, then it’s most likely that he could imagine ( not necessarily agree with M) why Morrissey would make that kind of comment in context of the conversation between M and the interviewer.

Yes. Agree. And I believe if the interviewer and Morrissey were discussing how people in France once publicly killed cats for entertainment, and he watched footage of said acts, he most likely would have called the French a subspecies.

Right. A charitable reading of what Morrissey said was: if you consider the extent of animal suffering in any given nation at some point in its history, then you would have to conclude that nationality is a sub-species. He was speaking particularly of China right now, but it could've gone for anywhere.

So maybe the blame should be shared. Paul Black could've done some research (and as a fan, he should know Morrissey also singled out Spain in song for its cruelty to bulls). But Morrissey could've qualified the statement instead of letting it stand as apparent bigotry. Still, we don't even know if this is one of the things that has Paul Black separating the art from the artist. He's doing what looks like a speed-round interview, so I'm not going to fault him on failure to specify. He seems to just not like Morrissey as a person. To assume that there are no legitimate reasons for someone to dislike Morrissey is like saying the pope is infallible.

When I listen today to the genius of a song like This Is Not Your Country, I myself am separating the art from the artist, since I honestly don't know what the artist thinks about that sort of thing anymore. I even assume he has changed his mind since he isn't qualifying his stated Zionism of 2017, or saying anything on the subject at all after a year of children shelled in an ethnic cleansing on what feels like potentially the eve of WW3. I look at his blog and think wtf.

Last edited:
Didn't Paul Black do exactly that? He spoke his mind about his feelings towards Morrissey. What you're actually taking issue with is the fact that his views conflict with your uncompromising devotion to your fallen hero. But I agree with you: so many people who post here ARE worried about what everyone thinks of their so-called idol. Don't you get tired of it?
He didn't. He said exactly what he thinks people want to hear. I have no problem with anyone who disagrees with Moz. I have myself many times. That's perfectly fine. What isn't fine is some talentless twat starting off by vomiting up chunks of half-digested gunk that he thinks will protect him from the army of woke c***z who live to be outraged. A small but vocal army of woke wankz who are enabled by a vanilla press who always have an axe to grind with anyone who dares to speak their mind. Now go and actually read what I said.

Right. A charitable reading of what Morrissey said was: if you consider the extent of animal suffering in any given nation at some point in its history, then you would have to conclude that nationality is a sub-species. He was speaking particularly of China right now, but it could've gone for anywhere.

No not at all. IMO, a correct reading of it would be something along the lines of ..

if you consider the extent of animal suffering in any given nation at some point in its history, then you could conclude that there unfortunately will be people that may be considered and called a subspecies by animal activists that are extremely outraged over such disgusting actions. He was speaking particularly about some people in China that carry out these particular barbaric practices, but it could've been anywhere.

So maybe the blame should be shared. Paul Black could've done some research (and as a fan, he should know Morrissey also singled out Spain in song for its cruelty to bulls). But Morrissey could've qualified the statement instead of letting it stand as apparent bigotry.

I think you mean … letting it be mistaken for bigotry.

Yes, Morrissey could have been less emotional which may have allowed him space to be more articulate as to who he was specifically talking about in the context of the subject being discussed and his strong feelings and beliefs about animal suffering.

Still, we don't even if this is one of the things that has Paul Black separating the art from the artist. He's doing what looks like a speed-round interview, so I'm not going to fault him on failure to specify. He seems to just not like Morrissey as a person. To assume that there are no legitimate reasons for someone to dislike Morrissey is like saying the pope is infallible.

‘legitimate’? He very well may not like Morrissey. And that’s fine. But what are his dislikes based on?

His disclaimer was unnecessary. He wasn’t asked his feelings on how Morrissey is portrayed in the media.

When I listen today to the genius of a song like This Is Not Your Country, I myself am separating the art from the artist, since I honestly don't know what the artist thinks about that sort of thing anymore. I even assume he has changed his mind since he isn't qualifying his stated Zionism of 2017, or saying anything on the subject at all after a year of children shelled in an ethnic cleansing on what feels like potentially the eve of WW3. I look at his blog and think wtf.

Well, one can still be moved by the song without having to separate their idea of who Morrissey is now, with who they thought Morrissey was then at the time of singing those words.

A fan can either think .. he doesn’t care about the subject anymore or has changed his mind and that is why he’s silent on it, or a fan can think … he still feels strongly about the subject and has reasons for remaining silent on it. (or has he been silenced to speak publicly about politics? or is he just again refusing to do what’s expected of him? ) Anyway, the fan has a right to either view, but, I believe one of these views is really an unfortunate and perverse way to impede oneself from really enjoying the music. I mean, why invent these obstacles?

Well where else would I post it? No one else cares or knows who Morrissey is.

you’re wrong. Morrissey is very relevant to many, such as to your hero Paul Black, and to these people that feel the need to make a disclaimer, they seem to care very much about what others say about him. Their public image depends upon it.

It is absolutely terrifying reading these words. You should be banned from this site.
That's a paraphrase of a Morrissey quote "The sorrow of the IRA Brighton Bombing is that Thatcher escaped unscathed." 5 people were killed in that 1984 bombing and 30 injured. Should we ban Morrissey as well?

I don't think I've missed his point. Morrissey speaking his mind: steely, brave, condoned. His critics speaking theirs: weak, spineless, condemned.

Acton and those like him smear anyone who speaks out against Morrissey, but they too are entitled to their beliefs and opinions. What I think y'all get butt-hurt about is that there's so many, and that the list keeps growing. If it soothes you to deem them sheeple, so be it. But the fact of the matter is that many people genuinely find Morrissey's political leanings and inflammatory remarks reprehensible. And you, for whatever reason, don't. Perhaps you share his views... or perhaps you're the lot "falling in line" with the godhead of your strange religion.
Truly do not get the eighth-wits that dwell here insulting Morrissey and his fanbase (and themselves by the shite they talk). Sociopathic obsessives. '...y'all get butt-hurt'...'sheeple' (a word only total c***s use)...you sound American and braindead. Be quiet.

Truly do not get the eighth-wits that dwell here insulting Morrissey and his fanbase (and themselves by the shite they talk). Sociopathic obsessives. '...y'all get butt-hurt'...'sheeple' (a word only total c***s use)...you sound American and braindead. Be quiet.
Brain dead is two words, genius. 🤡

That's a paraphrase of a Morrissey quote "The sorrow of the IRA Brighton Bombing is that Thatcher escaped unscathed." 5 people were killed in that 1984 bombing and 30 injured. Should we ban Morrissey as well?
If this was thatcher-solo.com then yes.
That quote was a direct stab at Thatcher because he despised her so much. I’m sure he felt sorry for those hurt or killed. He had a platform and he used it. Different era. Different circumstances. You cannot go online in 2024 when people are afraid of being shot to death or blown to bits just from going out to the shops and basically say it’s a shame that a Morrissey concert hasn’t been bombed. Paraphrase or not.

Another spineless jellyfish floats to the surface. Instead of starting off with 'We’re gonna have to separate the artist from the art here' he should have started with 'You have to realise I'm a chickenshit c$nt who lies awake all night sweating over how I look and if people like me.' And then he can clatter on like a possessed ventriloquist dummy.

I despair sometimes over some people. I'm sure Moz does too. Where is the steel, the resolve, the backbone and balls to say what you think? So many people are so worried about what everyone thinks. Don't they get tired of it? Of the sheer fakery and futility of projecting a false image, or trying to escape scathe-free from every interaction with the press or in general?

If every artist willingly ripped out their spines like Paul Black does then all we'd have to listen to is Bucks Fizz, Black Lace, and Mr.Blobby. Is that the world these cretins want?
Do you realize you are preaching this on a site where when people express criticism of Morrissey, they are attacked and downvoted for simply having the steel, the resolve, the backbone and balls to say what they think?
Just because this person is a celebrity (I guess, I have no idea who he is) why can't he criticize Morrissey like other fans do?
It's gotten to the point where this surpasses any concerns about Morrissey's politics, his behavior in general is so abominable that there's plenty to criticize there besides politics.

If this was thatcher-solo.com then yes.
That quote was a direct stab at Thatcher because he despised her so much. I’m sure he felt sorry for those hurt or killed. He had a platform and he used it. Different era. Different circumstances. You cannot go online in 2024 when people are afraid of being shot to death or blown to bits just from going out to the shops and basically say it’s a shame that a Morrissey concert hasn’t been bombed. Paraphrase or not.
I am not a huge fan of wishing people dead, but what you are saying is Morrissey can wish people dead, but no one else can?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom