Morrissey Central "JAMES DARREN, RIP" (September 6, 2024)

1f3c32e1f99ee5d94eb0e2f885d1482932c7ce15.jpg

1936-2024

I really couldn’t care less.

I can’t wait for all the usual suspects on this site who will declare we lost yet another one of the greats. Fake tears all around.

Old people die. So it goes.
I have never heard of 90% of the people who Morrissey mourns when they pass and I literally never care when famous people die. I've never met them so my life is no different if they are alive or dead.

I have never heard of 90% of the people who Morrissey mourns when they pass and I literally never care when famous people die. I've never met them so my life is no different if they are alive or dead.

What difference does it make? To some extent, or large extent, considering how strongly one feels about such things, some fans may take into consideration and have empathy with Morrissey when Morrissey morns the passing of people, usually artists, that have inspired him and so, have contributed to creating the person he is, to create the art that he has created, which is the reason why we love his music, and the reason why we are here today bothering to be on this site.

Dont worry, you are just honest. I have met plenty of fans over the years and 85% know anything about the people M likes. Lots just pretend they see M makes a post about someone, google, then act like they know about the person. The only reason these people mean something to M, is because they were his heroes, they were on the TV, when he was young. It really should mean much to most people under 55

He was great in The Time Tunnel. I used to dress up my Mego action figure like him.
Loved TT. I was welded to this and a few other series of the time. Maybe it did fuel unhealthy expectations for a wondrous future, real life failing to match those dramas. Thinking about it now though - watching the Boeing capsule return to earth by itself yesterday, leaving it's astronauts stuck on a space station (and rockets returning to land on their pads) maybe it is finally catching up.
M's tributes are great as with stars like James Darren he actually informs us that there was more to him than just a jumper mannequin stuck in a time warp. Others may not care but being of a similar age I love these reminders of what was vitally important at the time.
TT.jpg

TT13.jpg

Spoiler: They never made it back - the series was cancelled early.

Loved TT. I was welded to this and a few other series of the time. Maybe it did fuel unhealthy expectations for a wondrous future, real life failing to match those dramas. Thinking about it now though - watching the Boeing capsule return to earth by itself yesterday, leaving it's astronauts stuck on a space station (and rockets returning to land on their pads) maybe it is finally catching up.
M's tributes are great as with stars like James Darren he actually informs us that there was more to him than just a jumper mannequin stuck in a time warp. Others may not care but being of a similar age I love these reminders of what was vitally important at the time.
View attachment 110834
View attachment 110837
Spoiler: They never made it back - the series was cancelled early.
Great show.
He's mentioned Lost In Space amongst others too.
Irwin Allen's influence on a certain generation (myself included) shouldn't be underestimated. There were some things almost comparable on UK television at the time, but he was very ahead of his time in many respects.
Regards,
FWD.

Great show.
Irwin Allen's influence on a certain generation (myself included) shouldn't be underestimated. There were some things almost comparable on UK television at the time, but he was very ahead of his time in many respects.
Regards,
FWD.
it wasnt just tv,he was responsible for the poseidon adventure and the towering inferno.
my favourite of anything he did was land of the giants,these are all things M would have watched because only having 3 channels we all watched the same things.

I think you're missing the point. It's not about whether we care that someone has died. That's for friends and loved ones to do. It's about marking someone's passing. Human beings have done that and developed rituals around that that since we crawled out of the swamp. I think when we die we all like the idea that someone somewhere may want to mark our passing in some way, perhaps raise a toast, and share with others what we achieved in our life, what difference we made. That no one might do that for the passing of another human being is rather sad. Or perhaps more sad, that we have done nothing worth celebrating, that we have contributed nothing constructive or positive to the world, only disdain and negativity.

I think you're missing the point. It's not about whether we care that someone has died. That's for friends and loved ones to do. It's about marking someone's passing. Human beings have done that and developed rituals around that that since we crawled out of the swamp. I think when we die we all like the idea that someone somewhere may want to mark our passing in some way, perhaps raise a toast, and share with others what we achieved in our life, what difference we made. That no one might do that for the passing of another human being is rather sad. Or perhaps more sad, that we have done nothing worth celebrating, that we have contributed nothing constructive or positive to the world, only disdain and negativity.

Oh please, don’t be such a big girl’s blouse.

Great show.
Regards,
FWD.
I got The Invisible Man (1975 David McAllum) dvd boxset from my library. I was expecting it to be slow-moving mush but it was very enjoyable and matched my memory of seeing it on TV back in the 70's. Last night I stumbled on the first episode of Knight Rider, which is still crap. I loved Lost In Space and Sapphire & Steel and Blake's 7. I just need to find Gemini Man (Ben Murphy), Bearcats!, and Man From Atlantis and my nostalgia-fest will be complete. I wonder if Moz liked those shows. I know some were crap but they were great when I was small.

fedg.jpg

I got The Invisible Man (1975 David McAllum) dvd boxset from my library. I was expecting it to be slow-moving mush but it was very enjoyable and matched my memory of seeing it on TV back in the 70's. Last night I stumbled on the first episode of Knight Rider, which is still crap. I loved Lost In Space and Sapphire & Steel and Blake's 7. I just need to find Gemini Man (Ben Murphy), Bearcats!, and Man From Atlantis and my nostalgia-fest will be complete. I wonder if Moz liked those shows. I know some were crap but they were great when I was small.

View attachment 110889
Blake's 7 was very British - dark, cynical, and dystopian. An Orwellian vision of the future. The USA had Star Trek - optimistic and utopian.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom