Morrissey Central "Cheryl Murray in Everyday Is Like Sunday" (October 11, 2024)

"In what is mistakenly called real life, Cheryl was very funny. She drove from Wilmslow to my flat in Bowdon several times, and afternoons of very eloquent sarcasm streamed out. Her punishment was to appear in the video for Everyday is Like Sunday as the cattish older sister. I always felt better for having known her … which is sustaining when such cheerful voices die away. I wish our conversations had been recorded - they were much funnier than Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, and of course, much louder." MORRISSEY.

Morrissey's not too interested in spelling or grammar. Why is it "Cemetry Gates" and not "Cemetery Gates"?
Yep, that's intentional though, I think. Like many typo 'mistakes' he's made, there is often a humorous
Cemetry (3 syllables) VS Cemetery (4 syllables)

I think he wanted to be a silly goose and spell the word the way he sings it. 🥰

Cemetry (3 syllables) VS Cemetery (4 syllables)

I think he wanted to be a silly goose and spell the word the way he sings it. 🥰

Interesting then, that Rick Astley actually spelt it incorrectly in his book. Calls himself a fan! Tut tut :LOL:

1000012143.jpg

What a buffoon. 🤣

It is something you'd think would be known, or at least double-checked. Makes me wonder if it was all spoken into a dictaphone and then transcribed by someone, and edited by someone else. But that such a pertinent detail was never checked at any stage - quite shocking I suppose.

I have no idea of the various methods used to write these autobiographies in modern times. I have heard however, that some people have wanted full control over the writing process themselves.

It is something you'd think would be known, or at least double-checked. Makes me wonder if it was all spoken into a dictaphone and then transcribed by someone, and edited by someone else. But that such a pertinent detail was never checked at any stage - quite shocking I suppose.

I have no idea of the various methods used to write these autobiographies in modern times. I have heard however, that some people have wanted full control over the writing process themselves.
I sure would want full reign on what I want to write about when it comes to writing about myself. It sounds crazy otherwise.

I reckon he used 'everyday' intentionally. The song isn't about 'every day of the week' feeling like Sunday. The song is about a town that is bland and soul-less. A town that makes no attempt to lift the soul. A town that feels 'everyday'. John Lydon recently made some comments himself about English seaside towns and how they 'feel'.

I reckon he used 'everyday' intentionally. The song isn't about 'every day of the week' feeling like Sunday. The song is about a town that is bland and soul-less. A town that makes no attempt to lift the soul. A town that feels 'everyday'. John Lydon recently made some comments himself about English seaside towns and how they 'feel'.
I thought the actual lyrics are written’Every day’. And I’ve always felt he was indeed referring to ‘every day of the week’.

I always thought the song was about the town being dead on Sundays (nothing to do, dull & dreary) and it was always the same every day, so every day felt dull and dreary........ so every day may as well be Sunday as it is always the same. I lived in a place that felt like that once :(

It's a political song - in the widest sense of that word - in the same vein as 'Slough' by John Betjeman. There is also a bit of Wilde in there - who wrote often about the effect of architecture and environment on the human soul. The English seaside town is the perfect symbol of England's post-industrial decline and lack of investment in working class towns.

Death hits harder for most of us, when it's someone we liked and spend some time with. Sustaining memories are not a given, and so a boon in the circumstances. There was a lovely magazine or paper article on the women featured in this music video, put up on Central over a year ago.

Morrissey is a literate, witty poet but has made his share of blunders in his native language over the decades, but it's endearing. "Everyday...", the grammar of "You Know I Couldn't Last" (it should be "Knew"), misspelling "Cemetry", mispronouncing "annals" and "plagiarise". And my personal favorite. "f***y-oka" instead of "Fuku-oka." I'll forgive him that one, though :wink:

According to Morrissey, EDILS is actually about a British seaside town in the off season. The nuclear bomb parts are from a book he read about people waiting for nuclear war - boredom and drudgery when there's nothing to do except wait.

Back
Top Bottom