Morrissey Central "Cheryl Murray in Everyday Is Like Sunday" (October 11, 2024)

"In what is mistakenly called real life, Cheryl was very funny. She drove from Wilmslow to my flat in Bowdon several times, and afternoons of very eloquent sarcasm streamed out. Her punishment was to appear in the video for Everyday is Like Sunday as the cattish older sister. I always felt better for having known her … which is sustaining when such cheerful voices die away. I wish our conversations had been recorded - they were much funnier than Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, and of course, much louder." MORRISSEY.

I can remember where I was when this single was released. What a glorious day. How awesome he was way back then.

What a contrast to the bitter mean old drunk ass he is these days.

Pretty sure the chit chat version was
the one they would play in The Wild
Turkey Community.

Hope this helps!

1728682593895.jpeg

1728682614184.jpeg

Everyday is Turkey Steppin’ day there.

;)

is it possible to know that this is not ‘real life’ and yet pretend it is? I mean, we all bought the ticket, we may as well … enjoy the ride.

So you subscribe to the theory that he enjoys the mud slinging with Johnny? I wondered about that also.

But on the other hand, we know that this is a man who has a history of depression. So it's more likely that he doesn't enjoy it, and that it is actually causing pain (masochism aside)

Perhaps you are just saying that he's happy to embrace all of the ups and downs that come his way, in some form of non-attachment.

But from where I'm standing, Morrissey seems to be very attached to a lot of things.

I hope we all reach that place.

Try sitting.

I'm trying every which way, but the truth is that it's futile - we'll never know.

Hence, I'd like for him to shed more light. But of course he won't, because that would be too straightforward and would likely reveal more than he wants to.

So I respect that he's doing what he does. I just find it quite taxing these days, when he uses phrases like that, which probably just make most people think 'oh Morrissey, you hilarious and mysterious devil'

I'm trying every which way, but the truth is that it's futile - we'll never know.

Hence, I'd like for him to shed more light. But of course he won't, because that would be too straightforward and would likely reveal more than he wants to.

So I respect that he's doing what he does. I just find it quite taxing these days, when he uses phrases like that, which probably just make most people think 'oh Morrissey, you hilarious and mysterious devil'

"In what is mistakenly called real life, Cheryl was very funny.”

my interpretation is, that in spite of the bull shit of life, or what’s forced upon us as life, some can still, in their way show joy, and in their way, share that joy with others.

yeah this death watch update posting is getting a little (?!) out of hand Moz. What's next? A screenshot of some random person way off set walking past with his obit?? Good lord
you should blame the people who put it on here not mr morrissey.

Mike Southon BSC's version of the promo (director of photography).
I believe the above version was aired on UK tv at the time (having vivid memories of the talking left in).
FWD.

I seem to remember it being on the DVD version of Hulmerist? But I could be wrong.

I can remember where I was when this single was released. What a glorious day. How awesome he was way back then.

What a contrast to the bitter mean old drunk ass he is these days.
What frustrates and delights in Morrissey is actually his dogged resistance to change.

People have changed, he’s stubbornly stayed the same.

He was an anachronism in 1991, when I first got interested. It ‘seems’ he’s changed now, obviously. But I’d suggest the reality is rather stranger, and gloriously more uncomfortable: we yielded and he didn’t.

Fair question: Everyday is an adjective that means “used or seen daily,” “ordinary” or “commonplace” (e.g., I brought my everyday clothing). Every day is a two-word adverb phrase that means “each day” or “daily. That doesn't answer your question really but there you go and another thing... why do people say "on a daily basis" when it just means "every day".
They're essentially synonymous, but as an American English speaker, you might use one as a matter of emphasis. "On a daily basis" could help emphasize how something is / should be scheduled. Every day may not carry that same emphasis on the act /importance of scheduling. "Daily basis" however is notoriously wordy, and a good editor will change to "daily".

They're essentially synonymous, but as an American English speaker, you might use one as a matter of emphasis. "On a daily basis" could help emphasize how something is / should be scheduled. Every day may not carry that same emphasis on the act /importance of scheduling. "Daily basis" however is notoriously wordy, and a good editor will change to "daily".
A good editor would edit this post down to a few words: I don’t know.

Immediately after reading "In what is mistakenly called real life, Cheryl was very funny." I thought Morrissey was comparing Cheryl, playing a character in Coronation Street, soap opera that he loved, to the person he actually knew and was friends with in "real life".

Not very philosophical, is it?

I mean, my understanding of what he might be saying...

Anyways, every time Moz speaks to "us" about little bits of his life, I fall in love with him over and over. As if to love and admire him more was even possible.

Morrissey's not too interested in spelling or grammar. Why is it "Cemetry Gates" and not "Cemetery Gates"?

Yep, that's intentional though, I think. Like many typo 'mistakes' he's made, there is often a humorous, sarcastic or other less obvious reason which might only be known to him.

Everyday is pretty clever to me. The everyday is occuring every day... and if every day is like Sunday, then the 'everyday mundane' applies to Sunday as it does to every other day.

But people's everyday mundane experiences of Sunday are particularly acute of course, for lots of reasons. So it's all pretty clever to be fair, to take the bleakness of Sunday and apply it across the whole week - when the bleak and mundane apply to every other day of the week anyway (just in maybe slightly smaller measure!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom