Apple Music's 100 Best Albums: "The Queen Is Dead" #66

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Apple Music celebrates the greatest records ever made with the launch of inaugural 100 Best Albums list​

A 10-day countdown kicks off today with the reveal of albums 100-91, featuring works from Solange; Tyler, The Creator; George Michael; and more

Discover, share, and follow along as Apple Music journeys through the albums that shaped, inspired, and fundamentally changed musichttps://www.apple.com/za/newsroom/2...the-launch-of-inaugural-100-best-albums-list/

Apple Music celebrates the greatest records ever made with the launch of inaugural 100 Best Albums list​

A 10-day countdown kicks off today with the reveal of albums 100-91, featuring works from Solange; Tyler, The Creator; George Michael; and more

Discover, share, and follow along as Apple Music journeys through the albums that shaped, inspired, and fundamentally changed musichttps://www.apple.com/za/newsroom/2...the-launch-of-inaugural-100-best-albums-list/
george michaels listen without prejudice at 91,this is an amazing album and deserves a much higher placing but then to do that they would have to remove one of the 10 beatles albums,least thats what used to happen.

Wait to Apple, Spotify or some other future streaming service, cut out the middle man (the artists) and create their own AI music to make 100% of the profit. Coming sooner than you think! And most people won’t care.

Wait to Apple, Spotify or some other future streaming service, cut out the middle man (the artists) and create their own AI music to make 100% of the profit. Coming sooner than you think! And most people won’t care.
Sadly, this will probably turn out to be true.

"The Queen is Dead" was recently voted number 66 in "Apple Music 100 Best Albums".
In the article Johnny Marr is quoted,“The Smiths were crossing girl groups with electro, believe it or not.” but did he really say this in any interview? The girl group references are well known but synths and samples were rarely used in their music.

"The Queen is Dead" was recently voted number 66 in "Apple Music 100 Best Albums".
In the article Johnny Marr is quoted,“The Smiths were crossing girl groups with electro, believe it or not.” but did he really say this in any interview? The girl group references are well known but synths and samples were rarely used in their music.
You're right, that is an odd quote. I'm no kind of Johnny Marr expert and it's not something I've ever read before - can anyone else shed any light on where it's from? (Or did Apple Music perhaps reach out for a quote from him, for this project?)

You're right, that is an odd quote. I'm no kind of Johnny Marr expert and it's not something I've ever read before - can anyone else shed any light on where it's from? (Or did Apple Music perhaps reach out for a quote from him, for this project?)

'Electro' gets a few mentions in Set The Boy Free, but nothing as cited. Can't see any particular source other than Apple.
FWD.

STBF vague similarity:

"Some nights I’d spend on my own in the attic at Shelley’s. I needed the solitude to think and the time to write new songs. I was finding inspiration in all sorts of music, but mostly I was listening to the girl groups. I wondered if the approach on those records could be applied to a guitar band, and I worked on eradicating any traces of traditional rock guitar that might be in my songwriting, while trying to maintain my own sound. I wanted what I was doing to be modern, and I wanted my friends to like it and think what I was doing was cool."

Racist list!!!

Disintegration is at 56

Apple Music ‘100 Best Albums’:
100. Body Talk, Robyn
99. Hotel California, Eagles
98. ASTROWORLD, Travis Scott
97. Rage Against the Machine, Rage Against the Machine
96. Pure Heroine, Lorde
95. Confessions, USHER
94. Untrue, Burial
93. A Seat at the Table, Solange
92. Flower Boy, Tyler, The Creator
91. Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1, George Michael
90. Back in Black, AC/DC
89. The Fame Monster (Deluxe Edition), Lady Gaga
88. I Put A Spell on You, Nina Simone
87. Blue Lines, Massive Attack
86. My Life, Mary J. Blige
85. Golden Hour, Kacey Musgraves
84. Doggystyle, Snoop Dogg
83. Horses, Patti Smith
82. Get Rich or Die Tryin’, 50 Cent
81. After the Gold Rush, Neil Young
80. The Marshall Mathers LP, Eminem
79. Norman F*****g Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey
78. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John
77. Like a Prayer, Madonna
76. Un Verano Sin Ti, Bad Bunny
75. Supa Dupa Fly, Missy Elliot
74. The Downward Spiral, Nine Inch Nails
73. Aja, Steely Dan
72. SOS, SZA
71. Trans-Europe Express, Kraftwerk
70. Straight Outta Compton, N.W.A.
69. Master of Puppets, Metallica
68. Is This It, The Strokes
67. Dummy, Portishead
66. The Queens Is Dead, The Smiths
65. 3 Feet High and Rising, De La Soul
64. Baduizm, Erykah Badu
63. Are You Experienced, The Jimi Hendrix Experience
62. All Eyez on Me, 2Pac
61. Love Deluxe, Sade
60. The Velvet Underground & Nico, The Velvet Underground & Nico
59. AM, Arctic Monkeys
58. (What’s the Story) Morning Glory, Oasis
57. Voodoo, D’Angelo
56. Disintegration, The Cure
55. ANTI, Rihanna
54. A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
53. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones
52. Appetite for Destruction, Guns N’ Roses
51. Sign O’ the Times, Prince

No problem with most of those, but Arctic Monkeys should be nowhere near a list like this. (They're fine, but...greatest records ever made?!)
AM should definitely be on the list. Alex is a talented word smith with a very 'northern' outlook on life, and clearly very inspired by Morrissey. I think Morrissey knows that, which is why he made that line about 'not wanting to upset anyone's nan' when he said something bitchy about them in an interview. Some of their stuff is timeless.

The look of love, the rush of blood
The "She's with me"'s, the Gallic shrug
The shutterbugs, the Camera Plus
The black & white and the colour dodge
The good time girls, the cubicles
The house of fun, the number one
Party anthem...

No problem with most of those, but Arctic Monkeys should be nowhere near a list like this. (They're fine, but...greatest records ever made?!)

I think they should but not with AM, I think Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is an incredible debut album, which is still the fastest selling debut album of all time in the UK. I saw them play a few times around Sheffield back in the day and thought they were great, unfortunately since Favourite Worst Nightmare I've not been too keen on anything they've released.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom