Morrissey Central "Rebels Without Applause" (November 25, 2022)

FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER, 2022 :
First 'single' release in exactly three years.

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify, courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt.
This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Morrissey's next live appearance is on Monday, 28 November at The Anthem in Washington DC.

Just to help Central:
It's Over was released as an instant grat & pre-order bonus - February 25/26, 2019 (followed by Morning Starship - both getting airplay).
It's Over was then nightmarishly released as a physical 7" - (initially December 20, 2019) January 24, 2020.
The first actual "single" from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues 7" - May 10, 2019.
Regards,
FWD.

Media item:
Related items:

Definition of a sycophant. You don't even care that Morrissey's voice is barely recognizable.

I happen to like it. His voice is totally recognizable to me. I like when artists experiment with their work.

Sometimes, I can be critical to Moz. Not this time though.

Imo there's no mistake at all!

Knowing Morrissey a little bit, my guess is that it's exactly what he meant for this track.

Some people will love it (as I do), and others will hate it. There's nothing to be done about it.
Who wants Morrissey with a squeaky voice when he's just singing normally? Break it down for me....how is it a good thing? why would he ask for this?

Who wants Morrissey with a squeaky voice when he's just singing normally? Break it down for me....how is it a good thing? why would he ask for this?
Well... I don't think it sounds squeaky. I agree that the vocal is produced differently, but to me it sounds really good... His voice is still instantly recognizable and I actually think it's a strong vocal performance... I applaud him for still being innovative this late in his career...

Breaking it down: it's ONE TRACK. He went with some OBVIOUS vocal processing on a song. It was clearly on purpose. If the whole album does this, yes, that would be kind of strange. But like I said earlier, Moz never shied away from big production/studio stuff or from trying to sound "current". Personally, I wouldn't mind if every album he had ever put out had the stripped-down, rocking Your Arsenal-type production, but that's not what he wants. The productions have always tried to sound "modern." The SONG is still brilliant. And I seriously doubt all the BOT songs are going to use this vocal gimmick. You people need some sun. When you heard "Disappointed" did you go, "WTF! He adds fake crowd sounds to his songs now!? That's what he DOES now?" Haha. They tried a weird processing thing on this ONE track. Relax.

I happen to like it. His voice is totally recognizable to me. I like when artists experiment with their work.

Sometimes, I can be critical to Moz. Not this time though.
Edit:
Sometimes, I can be critical of Moz. Not this time though.

For the Nth time...
There is no 'different' version of the track.
All hosts of streaming & video versions apply their own algorithms when hosting a track.
The FLAC I coughed up for & shared in downloads is as close to exactly as it's "meant" to sound as possible (unless a 48bit version appears).
Having decent equipment (ooer) & expensive DAC, I can boringly confirm that all the sold & streamed versions are the "same" as the HQ version give or take proprietary compression.
FWD.

For the Nth time...
There is no 'different' version of the track.
All hosts of streaming & video versions apply their own algorithms when hosting a track.
The FLAC I coughed up for & shared in downloads is as close to exactly as it's "meant" to sound as possible (unless a 48bit version appears).
Having decent equipment (ooer) & expensive DAC, I can boringly confirm that all the sold & streamed versions are the "same" as the HQ version give or take proprietary compression.
FWD.
This is a bit like when I thought I found a supergrass demo on Napster in the 90s but it was just because it was a 64kbit WMA

Definition of a sycophant. You don't even care that Morrissey's voice is barely recognizable.

Lol.

If it’s ‘barely recognizable’ then how can you be sure it’s really Morrissey? Maybe that’s Sam or Watt singing instead!

I think he's just doing his own backing vocals & they're meant to sound a bit ghostly.

It's a great wee song.
Watt is credited as backing vocals and his "Chad Smith" video gives clear clues as to how he works with regards to this.
FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom