Morrissey Central "Rebels Without Applause" (November 25, 2022)

FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER, 2022 :
First 'single' release in exactly three years.

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify, courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt.
This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Morrissey's next live appearance is on Monday, 28 November at The Anthem in Washington DC.

Just to help Central:
It's Over was released as an instant grat & pre-order bonus - February 25/26, 2019 (followed by Morning Starship - both getting airplay).
It's Over was then nightmarishly released as a physical 7" - (initially December 20, 2019) January 24, 2020.
The first actual "single" from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues 7" - May 10, 2019.
Regards,
FWD.

Media item:
Related items:

Do you really want M to sound the same always and forever? Would you be happy if he'd just released 10 new versions of Vauxhall after 1994?

This is called innovation and growth... Some like it! Some don't! Live with it! :)
It seems that you have taken a master's degree in domination techniques in bad faith. In my book, this is called being patronizing, gaslighting and with the toxic smiley at the end just to drive the point home. But it didn't work with me, so I have to say you failed the exam. You didn't succeed in the goal of provoking me. Sorry! Better luck next time. I could recommend a course in logic and civil discussion.

This is like when people in the marketing department try to market canned food as fresh. And then when people don't agree, you try to gaslight them.

Last edited:
It seems that you have taken a master's degree in domination techniques in bad faith. In my book, this is called being patronizing, gaslighting and with the toxic smiley at the end just to drive the point home. But it didn't work with me, so I have to say you failed the exam. Sorry! Better luck next time. I could recommend a course in logic and civil discussion.
Honestly sorry that you receive my communication that way!! English is not my first language, so it may be a language thing?
I'm actually just trying to keep the dialogue positive... If the smileys send the opposite message I'll try to lose them...

It seems that you have taken a master's degree in domination techniques in bad faith. In my book, this is called being patronizing, gaslighting and with the toxic smiley at the end just to drive the point home. But it didn't work with me, so I have to say you failed the exam. You didn't succeed in the goal of provoking me. Sorry! Better luck next time. I could recommend a course in logic and civil discussion.

This is like when people in the marketing department try to market canned food as fresh. And then when people don't agree, you try to gaslight them.

I'd prefer if you left my canned sweetcorn out of this discussion, it's fresh vegetables to me

When you try to portray this as a discussion for or against innovation you don't get the gist. Please just respect that people have other opinions without trying to label them as old-fashioned or as wanting every album to sound the same.

When you try to portray this as a discussion for or against innovation you don't get the gist. Please just respect that people have other opinions without trying to label them as old-fashioned or as wanting every album to sound the same.
Well, I think the same can be said for some of you guys "on the other side of this particular fence" saying that anyone who like the new sound needs ear surgery... To me that's equally dismissive...

Anyway, I'm not here to make enemies... We (or most of us at least) are here for the same reason...

Well, I think the same can be said for some of you guys "on the other side of this particular fence" saying that anyone who like the new sound needs ear surgery... To me that's equally dismissive...

Anyway, I'm not here to make enemies... We (or most of us at least) are here for the same reason...
I think it depends on which version of the recording you listen to. The first versions that appeared on Spotify and YouTube were quite low quality and therefore sounded badly mixed. If you listen to the high resolution version it sounds much better and it’s clear the unique sound is intentional.

I don't know ; I enjoy Morrissey playing with the effects on his vocals as though it was another instrument . It isn't as though they've been buried , murky and lost , in the mix somewhere ...
Just let me kick my can down the road. I’ll cheer up! Lol!

I was looking at the BMI site earlier and noticed Moz has a cover of Sparks' Arts and Crafts Spectacular listed. This was news to me at least. Does anyone know if this is from the Bonfire sessions or whether it was recorded for California Son perhaps?

Last edited:
I was looking at the BMI site earlier and noticed Moz has a cover of Sparks' Arts and Craft Spectacular listed. This was news to me at least. Does anyone know if this is from the Bonfire sessions or whether it was recorded for California Son perhaps?
This is new to me

I believe the Arts & Crafts Spectacular entry is for licencing & usage on Under The Influence.
Regards,
FWD.

I believe the Arts & Crafts Spectacular entry is for licencing & usage on Under The Influence.
Regards,
FWD.
Ah, interesting. Thanks. Though I don't think any of the other Under The Influence songs are on there? It doesn't always seem like the most reliable resource. For some reason Louder Than Bombs is listed as a song and Jarvis Cocker is apparently the co-writer of Love Is On Its Way Out!

Ah, interesting. Thanks. Though I don't think any of the other Under The Influence songs are on there?

Maybe because that Sparks song was never officially released before that compilation(?)

That's true. I'm listening to it now. Maybe it's different on different people's set up. I have a headphone fetish (😆) so I have tried on various pairs on my set up and you can hear the shakiness in his vocals quite a few times and it seems to there are times it's out of tune and out of time as well. The more expensive the headphones the worse it sounds as they pick up every detail. I bought them for that reason but I never thought I would be wishing they didn't expose how bad this is.
just stop listenig to the song before you end up finding more mistakes in ever moe expensive settings, that sounds excruciating

This is a great new Morrissey song that blends so well with the past and The Smiths. The backing vocals remind me of ASK a little bit. But this sounds crisp, new and resplendent in comparison. I like the extra treble sound; his voice sounds more detailed and sweet-sounding.
You have to hand it to him. This song is on repeat for me. It's catchier than the live version. Bravo!

I just played it to my missus , who isn't a huge Moz fan . I told her about all the hoo-ha about his voice on here . she thinks it's not even that noticeable and thought the song was very catchy & poppy. I really like it too , have got used to the very slight vocal treatment and am looking forward to the other songs as usual ( not a fan of oblivion or Saint from the live versions tho ...love Veronica tho )

I'm for! :clap:

Spin's fine with it - https://www.spin.com/2022/11/morrissey-new-single/ - as is this yahoo review.

One of you might decipher what these reviews says about the release - https://www.dodmagazine.es/morrissey-comparte-un-nuevo-single-titulado-rebels-without-applause/

Fuller record company backing would get the word out more. Hearing it on the radio's next 🎶

They added the play count for Rebels on Spotify, iirc the play count is 2 days behind
iopCyAH.png

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom