Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

Interesting that he sings "...now I know how Johnny Marr felt..." starting at 1:48.

It cracks me up. Wouldn't have gotten the response if it didn't touch a nerve.

YES I CREATED QUITE THE STIR WITH MY COMMENTARY :swear:swear
I ROCK IM THE BOMB:ahhh:

a couple of Peppy yessiree posts dont constitue a response.:lbf:

YES I CREATED QUITE THE STIR WITH MY COMMENTARY :swear:swear
I ROCK IM THE BOMB:ahhh:

a couple of Peppy yessiree posts dont constitue a response.:lbf:
The only thing that you create are sickly looking and foul smelling bowel movements thanks to your non-stop buffet of microwave meals. There's a metaphor there somewhere about bowel movements, but I can't quite...

I don't need any qualifications to know that I Know It's Over or Asleep are, technically or emotionally, more difficult to sing than Bigmouth Strikes Again or How Soon Is Now.

If you've ever been to a Johnny Marr show - you'll know that most of the songs are upbeat and rocking. One of the only slow numbers is "Please, Please, Please" - which he extends with an amazing guitar passage and sings beautifully. He's also performed "Still Ill" and "Stop Me". Also, "Asleep" just has keyboards - why would a guitar player do that song? But never say never, he usually performs different Smiths songs on each tour, so you may get your wish!

Interesting that he sings "...now I know how Johnny Marr felt..." starting at 1:48.

Bloody hell, he actually does! You've got good ears..

Because they sobered up and heard him? Just a guess.

The decision was made within days, they just waited a few weeks to break the news. :lbf:

Agreed and don't forget his amazing band - they are flawless.

What I like about this set-up is that they have to be good - because Johnny is such a virtuoso. He can't have shitty musicians backing him up.

I would assume so
It's just sneaked in there under the radar. I wonder if the music press will pick it up? A subtle but very revealing comment on the Smiths days. Makes you think there is much more Johnny could say, if he ever chose to.

What I like about this set-up is that they have to be good - because Johnny is such a virtuoso. He can't have shitty musicians backing him up.

When you view the close up on the instrumental part you can see what a talented guy he is, its clear why constantly gets lauded as one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

Because they sobered up and heard him? Just a guess.

It’s because dave Navarro was gonna join who’s already super famous from janes addiction. He’s also a very talented guitar player. John quit I think to continue to shoot heroin full time

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom