IANADOAC 2nd week UK charts

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain has dropped from #3 in its first week in the Top 100 Albums to out in its second week.

Also:
Dropped from #1 to #16 in the Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
Dropped from #1 to #8 in the Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50
Dropped from #2 to #26 in the Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

Related item:

Some sense at last.

The haters make out as if Morrissey's chart career normally resembles something that would put Michael Jackson, Phil Collins and The Beatles to shame.

He's always been a critically acclaimed artist, but at no point in his career - before or after the laughable 'racist' accusations - has he been someone who ruled the charts. He's had his moments, a few #1 albums and top #10 singles, but they've never stuck around long.

California Sun (2019). Got to #4 (lower than Dog). Four weeks on the charts then gone.
Years of Refusal (2009). #3. Five weeks on the charts, gone.
Maladjusted (1997). #8. Three weeks on the charts, gone.
Southpaw Grammar (1995). #4. Four weeks on the charts, gone.
Kill Uncle (1991). #8. Four weeks on the charts, gone.
(source https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/13740/morrissey/)

None of those releases bettered IANADOAC's chart placing, and whilst they may have spent (marginally) more time on the charts, it's not like they lingered around for months on end.

It is also well known that charts generally are a young artist's domain. Record companies don't promote older artists the way they do with younger ones. So for Morrissey to release an album aged 60 which garnered a chart position better than some of his releases decades ago isn't really consistent with this narrative of him having lost his fanbase.

How exactly do these hateful former fans think IANADOAC would have fared if Morrissey had the 'correct' opinions about things? #1? #2? Perhaps it would have spent three weeks on the chart like Maladjusted did.

If Morrissey wasn't charting at all in any country, he'd probably be worried. But that isn't the case, no matter how much the haters might wish it to be.

marginally? he sold only 6000 copies .... and supporting a racist party makes him labeled a racist "laughable"? I stopped reading there. I guess he deserves fans like you

What's the problem then? Every artist is going to have points where their popularity concerning sales and gig tickets etc goes up or down. I'm sure Moz is feeling a lot of triumph at making an album that even his detractors like the NME have admitted is very good. Artistic achievement is what matters the most - unless you're a manufactured act.

Simple. It’s a sad, sick sales situation from someone who use to speak worthwhile words to a large population and sold well because of it. Now he is a racist, misogynist, right wing dick who can’t sell because of what he has become. Simple.

Simple. It’s a sad, sick sales situation from someone who use to speak worthwhile words to a large population and sold well because of it. Now he is a racist, misogynist, right wing dick who can’t sell because of what he has become. Simple.
Ah, I see, that old 'racist' chestnut...

Makes sense now.

You're clueless.

It's been fun being interested in charts and stuff (it's been a while). I'd forgotten what a sales dog egg Years of Refusal was.

It's only Quarry that did any real business. Irish blood manages to sound like an uplifting anthem despite it being about ethnic torment.

Where are you getting misogynist from?

His or her bitterness.

But it tends to be based on a false accusation that he defended Weinstein & Spacey. He ended up speculating about how these things happen in general.

He didn't speak to a large population. He's always been a cult act.

His words are still worthwhile, you're just stuck in the 80s or something.

He's hardly ever sold that well. Morrissey fans have always overestimated the reach of their idol.

But they're mad at him, so nothing counts till he atones.

6.000 is not selling well. Good grief. Regardless of chart numbers.

The album could have been number one with 12.000 sales or with 250.000 sales. I would beg to argue that 250.00 sales would be selling well. 12.00 would not. Get it?

marginally? he sold only 6000 copies .... and supporting a racist party makes him labeled a racist "laughable"? I stopped reading there. I guess he deserves fans like you

I was talking about the length of time spent on the chart. Releasing an album which reaches #3 but only spends one week on the chart is only marginally different to one which reaches #8 and only spends three weeks on the chart, as Maladjusted did in 1997.

Why are ex-fans making out that Morrissey would be enjoying massive chart success right now, had it not been for his vocal political opinions?

Barring a handful of albums such as Viva Hate, Quarry and Ringleader in a 30+ year solo career, Morrissey doesn't generally spend a lot of time of the charts. And it gets even harder as a 60 year old. So for Dog to reach #3, one week on the chart or not, is hardly the 'failure' his hysterical detractors want it to be. If Dog sells 'only' 6000 UK copies to date, but nevertheless reaches #3, what does that say about artists who charted lower than him and sold fewer records? Are they racists too? Do they have disappearing fanbases as well?

The chart glory days of the Quarry and Ringleader eras are gone, but they are gone because Morrissey is 60 years old. What artists enjoy better chart success at that age than they did in their 30s or 40s? This is a phenomenon not unique to Morrissey.

Morrissey could be a Remain and Lib Dem voting darling of the NME and The Guardian, but he still wouldn't be selling masses of records. Blaming his political views for Dog disappearing from the chart is a debunked theory. Let's lay it to rest.

Morrissey could be a Remain and Lib Dem voting darling of the NME and The Guardian, but he still wouldn't be selling masses of records. Blaming his political views for Dog disappearing from the chart is a debunked theory. Let's lay it to rest.

If he'd come out for the Lib Dems he'd have been ran out of town even more quickly.

He's hardly ever sold that well. Morrissey fans have always overestimated the reach of their idol.
Really? I guess Gold album sales in the USA and the uk in the past are not indicators of good album sales and are an overestimate of sales those sales? And recent albums with no certifications and the most recent albums off the charts in two weeks are equal to the past?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom