California Son: 4
I Am Not a Dog on a Chain: 3

UPDATE 11:25 AM PT:

Added placings:
#1 in the Official Physical Albums Chart Top 100
#1 in the Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50
#2 in the Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40

Last edited by a moderator:
New Order in their entire career only had 3 or 4 Top-3-albums. Morrissey managed 7 as a solo artist alone. There is really no comparison. I like New Order though, but Smiths/Morrissey a little more ;)
Interesting. I love New Order but also The Smiths/Moz. I can have both. There's no need to choose. I love The Cure too. And Siouxsie. The one thing they all have in common? They hate each other. And there was/is no real logical reason for that antipathy. I also love Suede and Joy Division. There is no point in comparing them and counting top 10 hits. If that was a measure of quality then Pariah Carey or Ed Sheeranal would be considered better than Moz. In the immortal words of Scooby Doo: "Euugh my brain feels like it needs a shower."

Interesting. I love New Order but also The Smiths/Moz. I can have both. There's no need to choose. I love The Cure too. And Siouxsie. The one thing they all have in common? They hate each other. And there was/is no real logical reason for that antipathy. I also love Suede and Joy Division. There is no point in comparing them and counting top 10 hits. If that was a measure of quality then Pariah Carey or Ed Sheeranal would be considered better than Moz. In the immortal words of Scooby Doo: "Euugh my brain feels like it needs a shower."
Moz n' Bob used to hate each other. Morrissey recently said something nice and recanted whatever crap he said about the Cure. Not sure if Bob has done likewise though.

I wonder if Pip is Andy. How many Moz fans are obsessed with globalism? :paranoid:

Reasonable result...in fairness sales must've been impacted by music shop closures...why else would so many artists be diverting release dates....and it really is a good strong release...unfortunately I think it's his last but hope I'm wrong

Moz n' Bob used to hate each other. Morrissey recently said something nice and recanted whatever crap he said about the Cure. Not sure if Bob has done likewise though.
That spat was surely over who made the best pop song of all time....Inbetween Days and This Chaming Man...which was obviously .......????....OK I get it now!!!

When morrissey said “most everyone prefers their own race”. He was not saying he was racist. He was just being factual. Google the data in the Uk or U.S of mixed race marriages or relationships. I may date outside my race but I’m in the minority. Most people date and have relationships with people of the same race. A few years ago there was a statistic that 75% of white people on Facebook didn’t have any or maybe one friend of color in their friends list. It’s sad that it’s like this but it is what it is. Morrissey just said how it is. Many people got pissed because they think it shouldn’t be that way. I think they’re right. However totally wrong to take it out on morrissey. Don’t kill the messenger. Morrissey said he hates racism. All the anti racist songs he’s written and things he’s said should In the least garner him the benefit of the doubt.

Nice placing for Moz. An artist as massive as The Weeknd selling 4 times more than Morrissey is no great shame whatsoever. Massive PR machine/multi-million dollar videos behind TW, and his music is good as well. And re: the hard numbers being smaller, aren't numbers down for all artists? How many physical copies of The Weeknd's previous album Starboy moved in 2016?

Is there a chart for Apple Music d/ls? (That's where I got the album -- not a physical media guy anymore).

I've been listening to them on YouTube - his voice is truly awful !

Otherwise it seems to be upbeat electro-pop, with nothing more to it.
Sums them up for me really, always wondered when you heard Smiths fans saying their 2nd favourite band was New Order, didn't get that, they were the total opposite of what The Smiths were about back in the day and that's a fact, only connection was Manchester but New Order had a totally different aesthetic going on than The Smiths and I personally couldn't see or hear any connection. I guess what I'm saying is comparing their tours and album sales to Morrissey's is futile, their fanbase is in a different genre.

Moz should feel very proud of reaching no.3 in the album charts. He's a 60-year old singer who made his name as the front for an indie band in the 1980s who were pretty much hated at the time and received next to no air play. Now that indie band are seen as a classic and quintessential rock band who 'changed' music. Not back then. His solo career has had ups and downs (clearly) but it is obvious that Moz has always preferred to be seen as a bit of an oddity. In recent times he has been vilified for having an opinion on immigration. He clearly doesn't give a damn. Very few bands or singers these days make big money from album sales, or singles. Touring is where the big money is. I'm sure Moz is very comfortable from previous tours and investments in property over the years. He's never going to be Elton John - thank god.

Moz should feel very proud of reaching no.3 in the album charts. He's a 60-year old singer who made his name as the front for an indie band in the 1980s who were pretty much hated at the time and received next to no air play. Now that indie band are seen as a classic and quintessential rock band who 'changed' music. Not back then. His solo career has had ups and downs (clearly) but it is obvious that Moz has always preferred to be seen as a bit of an oddity. In recent times he has been vilified for having an opinion on immigration. He clearly doesn't give a damn. Very few bands or singers these days make big money from album sales, or singles. Touring is where the big money is. I'm sure Moz is very comfortable from previous tours and investments in property over the years. He's never going to be Elton John - thank god.
This^^

"Ruth is Elton John" ?

Out of 60 million people in the UK, 6720 people bought it
That's relative !!! How many people listen to it on youtube and on spotify??? How much uh¡¡¡!!! Hundreds of thousands!!!!
He is so so talented!!! and the important thing= your album is very good!!!!!! Stop doing so many numbers !!!!!

Sums them up for me really, always wondered when you heard Smiths fans saying their 2nd favourite band was New Order, didn't get that, they were the total opposite of what The Smiths were about back in the day and that's a fact, only connection was Manchester but New Order had a totally different aesthetic going on than The Smiths and I personally couldn't see or hear any connection. I guess what I'm saying is comparing their tours and album sales to Morrissey's is futile, their fanbase is in a different genre.

The Smiths, the Fall, New Order and the Cure all appealed to a particular kind of indie fan.

They all carved their own path at a time when the New Romantic bands were prominent and commercial pop meant everything.

New Order were good but they don't even compare to Joy Division, never mind the Smiths or Morrissey.

I really enjoy New Order. And no doubt they have been both unique and very influential, like The Smiths.
But, as inferred by others, surely they don't have an emotional effect on people the way Smith's / Moz do? It's the style of music, also the clunky lyrics on 'serious' songs, and the vocals. Their most moving song is probably World in Motion? I'm not deriding that, but it's not quite Moz is it.
On the other hand, the fact they pulled that off shows they could achieve mass appeal along with artistic integrity. Moz has never ever been 'mass appeal'
(Imagine a Morrissey World Cup song... but that's a different thread...)

They're all over Twitter being desperate for attention & relevancy.

Heaton singing for nurses, like the press need to know. Bragg acting like he's the last word on all social & political issues.

Much prefer Moz staying out of all that malarkey.

All I'd want is him de-demonized & his talent to get the recognition it deserves.
Sorry i do not want to disrespect,but..who knows the world b brag and p heaton????.And who knows MORRISSEY IN THE WORLD? THE ANSWER IS OBVIOUS NO???????

The Smiths, the Fall, New Order and the Cure all appealed to a particular kind of indie fan.

They all carved their own path at a time when the New Romantic bands were prominent and commercial pop meant everything.

New Order were good but they don't even compare to Joy Division, never mind the Smiths or Morrissey.
Yeah your right it was a different path, I was 16 when The Smiths arrived on the UK scene and I've been a fan since then to now and it's been fantastic for me all my adult life. The Smiths trod a totally different path to the other bands you mention and stood alone in my opinion.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom