The Cure - Songs Of A Lost World

Key takeaways from new 1-hour 40 minute interview posted today:

Another Happy Birthday will be on the next album, along with It Can Never Be The Same (which RS confirmed was originally titled Christmas Without You)

A Fragile Thing was originally called “Kill The Sun”

All I Ever Am deals with the idea of the persistence of self through time, and was the longest song for him to “get right,” and compared it to the song Lost from the self-titled album

The album originally ended with a song after Endsong called “Bodean (?) Sky”, which was just RS on an acoustic guitar, giving an answer to the questions asked in Endsong, like a glimmer of light at the end. He took it off at the last minute when the album was made less doom and gloom with the inclusion of Warsong and Drone:Nodrone. He said they would probably re-record it for the next album. He said some of the lyrics from it are printed on the album. Need confirmation of the actual title.

Asked his favourite Cure songs from each album

Three Imaginary Boys

At Night

Faith (the song he was most proud of writing)

Cold

The Top

Sinking

If Only Tonight We Could Sleep

Untitled (one of his favourite Cure songs in general)

To Wish Impossible Things (actually said he wonders why they barely play that one live)

Want (then changed it to Treasure and mentioned the poem it was inspired by)

The Last Day of Summer

Before Three (said the self titled is his least favourite album)

The Hungry Ghost
Where can I find the interview?

Also, he has great taste in his own stuff.

Bumping this to the next page.

Key takeaways from new 1-hour 40 minute interview posted today:

Another Happy Birthday will be on the next album, along with It Can Never Be The Same (which RS confirmed was originally titled Christmas Without You)

A Fragile Thing was originally called “Kill The Sun”

All I Ever Am deals with the idea of the persistence of self through time, and was the longest song for him to “get right,” and compared it to the song Lost from the self-titled album

The album originally ended with a song after Endsong called “Bodean (?) Sky”, which was just RS on an acoustic guitar, giving an answer to the questions asked in Endsong, like a glimmer of light at the end. He took it off at the last minute when the album was made less doom and gloom with the inclusion of Warsong and Drone:Nodrone. He said they would probably re-record it for the next album. He said some of the lyrics from it are printed on the album. Need confirmation of the actual title.

Asked his favourite Cure songs from each album

Three Imaginary Boys

At Night

Faith (the song he was most proud of writing)

Cold

The Top

Sinking

If Only Tonight We Could Sleep

Untitled (one of his favourite Cure songs in general)

To Wish Impossible Things (actually said he wonders why they barely play that one live)

Want (then changed it to Treasure and mentioned the poem it was inspired by)

The Last Day of Summer

Before Three (said the self titled is his least favourite album)

The Hungry Ghost

How the hell do you even use that website? No matter where I click it just says “try again”.

Never mind. I got it.

For anyone else having trouble, change the Roman numeral digits on the website to the album’s release date (I / XI / MMXXIV) and it will unlock any new content they add.

Just listened to A Fragile Thing a couple of times, another great song.
So 2 out of 2 so far. :)
After several years I went back to listen to The Cure (2004) and 4:13 Dream (2008) this morning, to see if my opinion on these albums was too harsh, but nope, they remain largely unlistenable.
To come back with an album of such quality as Songs Of A Lost World after almost 3 decades since the last enjoyable one (in my opinion), is not just remarkable, I believe it's pretty much unique.
Yes, thanks to this thread I also got back into listening to The Cure after a few years. Their recent album 4:13 Dream was a complete disaster. I really tried, but there's nothing noteworthy on this album. Unlistenable is the perfect word.

I can't wait for November 1st, especially the studio version of Endsong. Two weeks to go! :fire::fire::fire:

Back
Top Bottom