Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Screenshot_20240716-195359.png

I met Renée in Charlottesville, Virginia, when we were both twenty-three. When the bartender at the Eastern Standard put on a tape, Big Star’s Radio City, she was the only other person in the room who perked up. So we drank bourbon and talked about music. We traded stories about the bands we liked, shows we’d seen. Renée loved the Replacements and Alex Chilton and the Meat Puppets. So did I.
I loved the Smiths. Renée hated the Smiths.
The second song on the tape is “Cemetry Gates” by The Smiths.
The first night we met, I told her the same thing I’ve told every single girl I’ve ever had a crush on: “I’ll make you a tape!” Except this time, with this girl, it worked. When we were planning our wedding a year later, she said that instead of stepping on a glass at the end of the ceremony, she wanted to step on a cassette case, since that’s what she’d been doing ever since she met
me.

You tell yourself, I’ll get to the end of this. But there’s no finish line, just more doors to pass through, more goodbyes to say. You know that Smiths song “Girlfriend in a Coma”? At the end of the song, Morrissey whispers his last goodbye. I love that part; that line cracks me up now. Yeah, right, you think it’s your last goodbye. He has no idea how many more he’s got left. Good luck, kid.

A couple of brief mentions in Rob Sheffield's book from 2010.
FWD.

The influential band Noel Gallagher called “too intellectual”

(band = Suede with Smiths mentions).

No Morrissey mention at all here, in this BBC News story (17 July 2024) about the increasing threat of all out war between Israel and Hezbollah, but it feels wonderfully reminiscent of a particular song of his...

lazy.jpg

Has anyone seen this group? Or have any footage? I thought the name was suitable!

"The Happy Now are a 5 piece covers band based in Guildford, Surrey that enjoy playing indie and post-punk classics from the 80’s and 90’s.

If you love Blondie, The Pretenders, The Smiths, The Cure, you’ll love The Happy Now!!"

another mention in a "Word in Your Ear Podcast".
in the episode
"Who is Lawrence and why did Will Hodgkinson write a whole book about him?"

"Over 40 years plagued by bad luck and self-sabotage with Felt, Denim and Mozart Estate, Lawrence has pursued fame and success while refusing to do what’s required to achieve them."
The Morrissey mention comes in at about 32 minutes in; the author says the book is about what happens if the world doesn't work for you, "It's about...what would happen to someone like Morrissey, if Morrissey had never been successful...someone who's very difficult, very talented, (unintelligible), can't really deal with the world... what happens, it can apply to a lot of people..."

"Written as a commentary on the state of the pop music scene in the mid-80s which Morrissey and Marr felt lacked any depth and 'says nothing about my life.'" - CLASSIC POP MAG

camgrey2024_07_22_03_13_24c3ae614d-ccfc-4897-b5ab-bfb819a9858c.jpg

This is about 8 weeks since first mentioning it.

Despite the review showing a Morrissey t-shirt and Smiths poster, I was surprised there was no mention of the band. The film should be worth checking out :thumb:
The film was pretty abysmal. It's often called a gay Thelma and Louise, but Thelma and Louise was a great movie, and this is not a great movie, far from it. One of the characters in the movie likes indie music, and especially British indie music, but that's the only connection with The Smiths. The movie's title comes from a track by The Jesus and Mary Chain. Gregg Araki went on to make Mysterious Skin, based on the Scott Heim novel of the same name, which is very good and worth checking out. But The Living End is best avoided.

Hitting it Sideways: Last Exit to Brooklyn at 60 - The influence of Hubert Selby's transgressive masterpiece on The Smiths, Van Morrison & the VU

Links between The Queen Is Dead, and Last Exit to Brooklyn (published 60 years ago): Wayne Gooderham reviews for The Quietus (22 July, 2024)
Wayne Gooderham explores the influence of Hubert Selby Jr's transgressive masterpiece on popular music; and on the gender sensibilities of The Smiths, Van Morrison and The Velvet Underground in particular. CW: Some may find the language quoted in this article that describes LGBTQI people & sex workers outmoded or offensive

This year sees the 60th anniversary of Hubert Selby Jr’s controversial debut novel, Last Exit To Brooklyn. With its frank depictions of then-taboo subjects such as gay sex, recreational drug use and domestic and sexual violence, it is unsurprising that the book caused something of a sensation upon its release. Less a novel in conventional terms of possessing a central narrative/protagonist, Last Exit To Brooklyn is rather a collection of short stories set in the working-class district of Suset Park – depicted here as an infernal demimonde of hopped-up hoodlums, cold hearted sex workers and, to adopt the parlance of the novel, lonely drag queens. It is the book Allan Ginsberg proclaimed “should explode like a rusty hellish bombshell over America and still be eagerly read in a hundred years.” It is also Selby’s masterpiece.

The novel began life in 1957 with the publication of a short story that would eventually become the second chapter of the novel. At approximately 50 pages in length, ‘The Queen Is Dead’ tells the story of Georgette, a trans sex worker who, along with her “drag queen” friends, decide to host a party for a gang of neighbourhood roughs. Georgette is hopelessly in love with the gang’s leader, Vinnie, who enjoys Georgette’s attention but is simply using her for sexual kicks and to gain access to her ready supply of drugs (chiefly “bennies” or Benzedrine: a powerful, and that time still legal, amphetamine). As the party becomes more and more strung out – with Georgette shooting up heroin in the bathroom – the romantically decadent atmosphere degenerates into a kind of violent orgy. The story climaxes with Georgette undergoing a humiliating sexual encounter with Vinnie, before fleeing the apartment and then ODing. And though her ultimate fate is ambiguous, she certainly suffers a physic death if not a physical one.

In its compassionate yet unsentimental depiction of the doomed Georgette, ‘The Queen Is Dead’ is perhaps Selby’s greatest achievement. And it can lay claim to have influenced three pieces of music that, to paraphrase Allen Ginsberg, will undoubtedly still be eagerly listened to in a hundred years’ time. And while its influence on two of the works is largely unequivocal, its influence on the third is more contentious and will require some unpacking. So, let’s begin with the most obviously unequivocal work – the one that wears its influence on its (record) sleeve: the Smiths’ 1986 album, and its title track, The Queen Is Dead.
Screenshot-2024-07-19-at-08.53.28.jpg

I’m the 18th pale descendent / Of some old queen or other” The Smiths – ‘The Queen is Dead’

Like all the best allusions, The Queen Is Dead works as a stand-alone title without any prior knowledge of the original source. And while it may seem that the homosexual connotations of “queen” do not extend much further than the cover artwork (Alain Delon’s androgynous beauty gazing glassy-eyed from out of the final scenes of 1964 French noir, L’Insoumis) traces of Selby’s lovelorn protagonist linger on in the title track’s playful advocation for regicide – like a watermark in old pound note.

To begin, there’s the sample that opens both the album and the song: a snatch of ‘Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty’ from Brian Forbes’ 1962 British film, The L-Shaped Room. The scene in question is another drunken party: this one held in a seedy Notting Hill boarding house rather than a New York apartment block. And though this party is fuelled by cheap booze instead of hard drugs, the guests are similarly made up of individuals scraping by on the fringes of “respectable” society: as well as the unmarried pregnant protagonist, there are a couple of sex workers, a gay Black jazz musician, and, most strikingly, Cicely Courtneidge as an elderly lesbian and ex-music hall star. It is Courtneidge who leads the World War I sing-a-long, and she does so in male drag – changing into her old army uniform and affecting a gruff male voice – an image harking back to the previous scene when she bemoans how modern pantos aren’t “much cop nowadays … fancy a man playing the Principle Boy! That’s a disgrace to the profession”.

And then there’s the title track proper, ‘The Queen Is Dead’, which also seems to contain sly allusions to Selby’s chapter. Where Selby gives us an apartment of drag queens, Morrissey gives us (the then) Prince Charles “dressed in [his] mother’s bridal veil”. Where Selby presented us with a gang of neighbourhood roughs, Morrissey describes a “nine-year-old tough / who peddled drugs”. Even the throwaway Freudian couplet – “But when you’re tied to your mother’s apron / No-one talks about castration” – could be a humorous nod towards a disturbing scene at the beginning of Selby’s story, when Georgette is stabbed in the leg – “I’ll make ya a real woman without goin ta Denmark… You don’t want that big sazeech getting in yaway Georgie boy. Let me cut it off…” – and then taken back home to her mother to recuperate: “She rocked with Georgette’s head cradled in her arms.” And then there’s the closing refrain – “life is very long when you’re lonely” – which, in the context of the song, seems something of a non-sequitur; but, if considered in the wider context of the song’s allusions, could be taking us back not only to Courtneidge’s lonely lesbian and a long-gone “dear old Blighty”, but also to Selby’s heartbroken drag queen.

Indeed, The Smiths’ ‘The Queen Is Dead’ is where Morrissey’s twin obsessions with the decadent glamour of the gay, mid-century New York City/New York Dolls (who he once memorably described as “transexual junkies”) and the monochromatic realism of British kitchen sink drama come together to create a fascinating hybrid: a witty Ortonesque state-of-the-nation address and one of the Smiths’ most powerful and provocative moments. And, in a pleasing piece of synchronicity, Johnny Marr has credited the inspiration for his furiously driving rhythm guitar part to the Velvet Underground’s ‘I Can’t Stand It’ (which had been released the previous year on the outtakes collection, VU) – bringing us nicely to the second major work of music to have been influenced by Selby’s 50-page chapter...

The rest at: https://thequietus.com/opinion-and-...ting-it-sideways-last-exit-to-brooklyn-at-60/

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom