Your favourite Smiths single?

What is your favourite single by The Smiths?

• Hand In Glove

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • This Charming Man

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • What Difference Does It Make?

• Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

• William, It Was Really Nothing

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Shakespeare's Sister

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barbarism Begins At Home

• That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore

• The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Bigmouth Strikes Again

• Panic

• Ask

• Shoplifters Of The World Unite

• Sheila Take A Bow

• Girlfriend In A Coma

• I Started Something I Couldn't Finish

• Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

• Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

• Total voters
I've gone for "Panic". The older I get, the more absurd it seems that a song like that was a hit. It's just an absolute glam blast of absurd lyrical genius and to end it with the "Hang the DJ" refrain, it's just magical and brave and silly and provocative...

(Obviously so many of these others are classic singles, too...)
Great song. I did laugh when it suddenly appeared in a montage in this movie...

Headmaster Ritual for me, but only a single in my country I believe.

Voted Girlfriend in a Coma as I never tire of it, closely followed by The Boy With the Thorn and William.
Didn't know you're Dutch, Thewlis. What an amazing country to call home.

Oh he said Heinz, LOL.

I mean, originally on the album he does sing ‘guilded beams’, ( though, shouldn’t it be ‘gilded’?) but changed it to ‘Heinz baked beans’ during his last live renditions of the song.

Stop me if you think you've heard this one before!

Favourite video too!
I technically shouldn't have included it in the list above as its release in the UK was dropped due to the Hungerford massacre that took place around that time. Good old BBC.
Have always had mixed feelings on the video. It's really a Morrissey video, rather than a Smiths video. I can't imagine Johnny is a fan.

I technically shouldn't have included it in the list above as its release in the UK was dropped due to the Hungerford massacre that took place around that time. Good old BBC.

Have always had mixed feelings on the video. It's really a Morrissey video, rather than a Smiths video. I can't imagine Johnny is a fan.

Hmmm. Never thought what Johnny might of thought of that video. Marr seemed happy to let M take on most of the interviews, so maybe likewise with these later videos? Girlfriend too.

Wasn’t there an incident when Marr couldn’t get M to come do a video shoot? Wonder what Strangeways song that was going to be for?

Hmmm. Never thought what Johnny might of thought of that video. Marr seemed happy to let M take on most of the interviews, so maybe likewise with these later videos? Girlfriend too.

Wasn’t there an incident when Marr couldn’t get M to come do a video shoot? Wonder what Strangeways song that was going to be for?
Stop Me takes it to a whole new level though. It's hagiography. Tongue in cheek, perhaps, but it's all about Morrissey. I have always thought it could easily have appeared on Hulmerist. Maybe that's as much down to Tim Broad though?

Stop Me takes it to a whole new level though. It's hagiography. Tongue in cheek, perhaps, but it's all about Morrissey. I have always thought it could easily have appeared on Hulmerist. Maybe that's as much down to Tim Broad though?

Yeah, maybe Tim’s vision in part, focusing on Morrissey, and making it easier to get the videos done, keeping it simple and zeroed in on the recognizable image of Morrissey. It also may have been awkward trying to incorporate the rest of the members in those videos, can you imagine? From what I’ve read, I don’t remember Marr ever saying anything about those videos.

It's been a while since I checked the results of this poll. The Boy with the Thorn in his Side is the clear winner. If anyone from camp Moz does visit this website, some clear advice for how to please the fans in Las Vegas...

Back
Top Bottom